Pride & Prejudice

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pride & Prejudice

Release Date: November 11, 2005 (top 30 markets; wide release: November 23)
Studio: Focus Features
Director: Joe Wright
Screenwriter: Deborah Moggach
Genre: Drama, Romance
MPAA Rating: PG (for some mild thematic elements)

Starring: Keira Knightley, Matthew MacFadyen, Brenda Blethyn, Donald Sutherland, Jena Malone, Judi Dench, Tom Hollander, Rosamund Pike, Talulah Riley, Penelope Wilton, Simon Woods

Plot Summary: The glorious world of Jane Austen is at last brought back to the big screen in all its romance, wit and emotional force in "Pride & Prejudice". Faithful to the setting and period of the beloved novel and filmed entirely on location in the U.K., this is the first movie version of the story in 65 years.

The classic tale of love and misunderstanding unfolds in class-conscious England near the close of the 18th century. The five Bennet sisters – Elizabeth, or Lizzie (Keira Knightley), Jane (Rosamund Pike), Lydia (Jena Malone), Mary (Talulah Riley) and Kitty (Carey Mulligan) – have been raised well aware of their mother's (two-time Academy Award nominee Brenda Blethyn) fixation on finding them husbands and securing set futures. The spirited and intelligent Elizabeth, however, strives to live her life with a broader perspective, as encouraged by her doting father (two-time Golden Globe Award winner Donald Sutherland).

When wealthy bachelor Mr. Bingley (Simon Woods) takes up residence in a nearby mansion, the Bennets are abuzz. Amongst the man's sophisticated circle of London friends and the influx of young militia officers, surely there will be no shortage of suitors for the Bennet sisters. Eldest daughter Jane, serene and beautiful, seems poised to win Mr. Bingley's heart. For her part, Lizzie meet with the handsome and – it would seem – snobbish Mr. Darcy (Matthew Macfadyen), and the battle of the sexes is joined.

Their encounters are frequent and spirited yet far from encouraging. Lizzie finds herself even less inclined to accept a marriage proposal from a distant cousin, Mr. Collins (Tom Hollander), and – supported by her father – stuns her mother and Mr. Collins by declining. When the heretofore good-natured Mr. Bingley abruptly departs for London, devastating Jane, Lizzie holds Mr. Darcy culpable for contributing to the heartbreak. But a crisis involving youngest sister Lydia soon opens Lizzie's eyes to the true nature of her relationship with Mr. Darcy.

The ensuing rush of feelings leaves no one unchanged, and inspires the Bennets and everyone around them to reaffirm what is most important in life.

Attachments

• prideprejudice2.jpg
    prideprejudice2.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 116

AZZenny

Reaction score
Love Jane Austen. In her books, the 'comedy of manners' exposes layers of complexity about the characters and the times. Too often the movies are all just the surface fluff. Hope this is well-made.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a feeling i will like the Colin Firth version betterr

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
How many times do I have to suffer through this freakin movie!?

It's the most boring piece of crap I've ever had my wife force me to watch. And now a remake? :thud:

This is why guns are legal. I hope the wife shoots me before making me watch this garbage.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure it will be no surprise to any of you...but we made a trip up to Camelview tonight to see this movie, which is in limited release. Pack house...

Great movie...just as good as the other ones...Sense & Sensibility, Emma, etc. Keira Knightley is just a pleasure to watch...

Well done...my wife loved it.

Mike

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chandler Mike said:
I'm sure it will be no surprise to any of you...but we made a trip up to Camelview tonight to see this movie, which is in limited release. Pack house...

Great movie...just as good as the other ones...Sense & Sensibility, Emma, etc. Keira Knightley is just a pleasure to watch...

Well done...my wife loved it.

Mike

I would nail Kiera Knightley in a heartbeat.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am going to see this tonight!!!

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
thirty-two said:
I have a feeling I will like the Colin Firth version better.
The version with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle is so good because it is a 5-hour mini-series. IMO it is probably the best BBC mini-series ever made.

Trying to cram all of Austen's detail, dialogue and characters into a two hour movie just doesn't work for Pride & Prejudice IMO.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I came down with a bad cold all of a sudden, so we re-scheduled to see this movie next week :)

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thirty-two said:
I came down with a bad cold all of a sudden, so we re-scheduled to see this movie next week :)

You going with Ike or Zac? :D

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My wife and I saw this Saturday night.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

We loved it. The acting was great. The scenery of the English (?) countryside was fab. I'm not a big KK fan, but she gave the best performance I've seen her in. Very well done. Wouldn't be surprised if this flick gets a few Oscar nominations.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw this today...

Wow... Kiera Knightley was amazing. Absolutely spectacular. Loved her.

That said, I was bummed at how much of the book it left out. But its understandable.

Overall, I liked it a lot.

What a great movie/book...

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thirty-two said:
Saw this today...

Wow... Kiera Knightley was amazing. Absolutely spectacular. Loved her.

That said, I was bummed at how much of the book it left out. But its understandable.

Overall, I liked it a lot.

What a great movie/book...

My wife is watching the original mini-series tonight...it's supposed to have much more of the book in it.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chandler Mike said:
My wife is watching the original mini-series tonight...it's supposed to have much more of the book in it.

I've seen the BBC version (the original mini-series) and it is definitely the better version because it has so much of the book in it. Having Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy doesn't help either :) I love the BBC version.

But for a shorter version, the Kiera Knightley version did pretty well.

I can't wait for finals to be over. I havent read for fun in a while. I would love to go back and read Pride and Prejudice, then rent and watch the BBC version and the new version.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
You know, I hated this book when I had to read it back when I was 21. I mean, HATED it. When this movie came out, I was going to see it simply because it was free (I was working at a movie theater) and my girl was in it. I decided, to be fair, to read the book again...and loved the book this time. Full of subtle irony and underhanded humor. Loved the movie as well. Definitley not fully loyal to the book, but great movie nonetheless. Still yet to see the BBC.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
Chandler Mike said:
:rolleyes:

Did you see it? Did you like it? Do you just like this thread?

:confused:

I enjoyed the movie (I did see it) - didnt really know the story too well before I saw it.

Although, I must say....I HATE THIS THREAD....:D

:raccoon:

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I just watched it. Everything was new to me, I haven’t read the books or seen the mini-series. I thought it was pretty good. I wouldn’t want to see the mini-series though. Two hours is about as much as I can take of that stuff. The acting was awesome, and it had more comedy than I was expecting. The writing was very clever.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson