Press Conference Scheduled

Alan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The Diamondbacks have called a press conference for noon Arizona Time. They aren't saying why it was called, but they gave the media info on how to set up for live coverage.

Johnson, Gonzo signed? Big trade?

mark1

Veteran
Reaction score
D'backs, Gonzalez close to agreeing on 3-year deal
By Jack Magruder
ARIZONA DAILY STAR

The Diamondbacks will announce the signing of Luis Gonzalez to a three-year, $30 million contract as soon as the language is finalized.

The sides, negotiating since spring training began, are expected to announce the deal at a news conference tentatively scheduled at Bank One Ballpark today, the D'backs' only scheduled off day this spring.

Talks about a new contract with Randy Johnson, meanwhile, are ongoing. The D'backs are awaiting word from Johnson's agents on their proposal made late last week.

Gonzalez has been one of the biggest bargains in the majors since joining the D'backs in 1999, with 142 home runs and 470 RBIs in that span.

He is in the final year of a contract that will pay him $4 million. The new deal will cover 2004 to 2006 and not include deferred money.

Gonzalez has long said he hopes to end his career in Arizona, where he blossomed into an MVP candidate.

"I'm thankful to play this game," Gonzalez said. "My value is to my teammates. At the same time, I hope the organization appreciates what I do on the field. This is where my career turned around."

Johnson, 39, is to make $15 million this season, the final year of his contract.

Both hope to have new contracts done by opening day.