Preseason: Suns @ Trail Blazers 10-12-19

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopefully. Not to borrow trouble but it did cross my mind that we were moving the ball better without our best players which brought up the possibility that the Coach gave them the day off so they could see how much better the team plays when the ball is moving (not to mention the players).

This thought ran through my mind as well.

Even the Portland announcers seemed surprised how well the Suns played without Ayton, Booker and Rubio.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Its pre season.

Vets like Lillard don’t give a crap about these games. Rookies and journeyman care a LOT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went back and looked at some stats this morning. Tyler Johnson (6-9) and Cam Johnson (6-9) both had 18 points each. This duo could be very effective this season off the bench.

Maybe it's just me but I'm having to look at the uniform numbers at times to distinguish Tyler Johnson and Ty Jerome on the court. Maybe it's the beard and similar build.

It could also be the size of my television. :p

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Defense, that's where Monty's head is right now. Like to hear this.

After the Kings game, this was my primary concern.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is an example of how Frank Kaminsky got 8 assists.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Its pre season.

Vets like Lillard don’t give a crap about these games. Rookies and journeyman care a LOT.

That may be true, but if you watched the game, it certainly didn't look like Portland's A-Team didn't give a crap.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
That may be true, but if you watched the game, it certainly didn't look like Portland's A-Team didn't give a crap.

I did watch a nice chunk and was impressed by the way the Suns played. It’s just that Lillard was -17. He played 30 minutes but it didn’t look like his A game.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What I saw was great ball movement by the Suns. They implemented the offense. There was no standing and pounding the ball. And, of course they got open looks and shot well. Am I wrong in saying that last year's team would not have shot this well given the same open looks?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I saw was great ball movement by the Suns. They implemented the offense. There was no standing and pounding the ball. And, of course they got open looks and shot well. Am I wrong in saying that last year's team would not have shot this well given the same open looks?

I don't think you're wrong, we couldn't buy a wide open 3 last year.

It's difficult to really focus against a team that you have dominated for a few years and it's usually even tougher to do if your opponent is also missing their best players. So it's likely we didn't get Portland's absolute best effort but they weren't exactly dogging it out there either.

We looked like a completely different team last night than the group that lost to Sacramento, hopefully the Portland game is a better mirror for this team's potential.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Look at game 1 of last season. Hit 19 threes and shot over 50%.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Look at game 1 of last season. Hit 19 threes and shot over 50%.
I’ve only watched the first half and they hit some deep threes and some threes with guys in their face. Those won’t fall with regularity. As much fun as the blazers game was in calling that an abberation until I see more consistency. That said, this years team should still be vastly improved from the arc over other recent iterations.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Here is a link showing every made three the Suns had.

A vast majority of these made threes and even a large majority of the misses from what I remember were in rhythm and pretty much uncontested. I don't know if that was a product of Portland being lazy or if we just did something really well that allowed us to create so many open looks, but that is what I find impressive in this game.

If we can continue to give ourselves anywhere near that many clean looks at threes this year we will have a lot of game where we shoot lights out from 3.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

A vast majority of these made threes and even a large majority of the misses from what I remember were in rhythm and pretty much uncontested. I don't know if that was a product of Portland being lazy or if we just did something really well that allowed us to create so many open looks, but that is what I find impressive in this game.

If we can continue to give ourselves anywhere near that many clean looks at threes this year we will have a lot of game where we shoot lights out from 3.

Suns rising straight to the top.

On a more serious note, the Suns were built to spread the court with shooting and if they can execute the offense (.5) they are gong to get a lot of open looks. Of course the Suns are not to shoot this well every night.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Almost like clockwork Duane Rankin writes an article about the Suns 3 point shooting.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kaminsky and Saric just know how to slip that screen and find the right spot to be at. The right spot being in the middle of defenders where neither defender can get to them. They also time them very well. Oubre will shoot it no matter the coverage or situation, whereas Jerome/Johnson and Cam will go within the flow of the game.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hopefully Monty has had Booker and Ayton watch that game film a hundred times to show them how they can fit in and get theirs while everyone is doing their things. I hope Rubio watched it the same amount to see where people need to get the ball. There is a lot that can be taught to them by studying that tape. I know the Blazers defense wasn't in regular season form but the Suns will face quite a few teams this year who will show up thinking they're just playing the old Phoenix Suns again, easy W, and the Suns need to deliver them swift kicks in the ass for doing so.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Saric is essentially Bender. Both are european stretch 4's whose rookie deals were originally set to expire at the end of this coming season with them being restricted next summer. We have Saric this year for about $6 million less than Bender would have cost though. I'll take it.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Saric is essentially Bender. Both are european stretch 4's whose rookie deals were originally set to expire at the end of this coming season with them being restricted next summer. We have Saric this year for about $6 million less than Bender would have cost though. I'll take it.
Saric is twice the player Bender was. Just his aggressiveness alone goes a long way. Plus Saric actually makes his 3 pointers.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Saric is twice the player Bender was. Just his aggressiveness alone goes a long way. Plus Saric actually makes his 3 pointers.

Well aware of that. What I mean is in regards to his age and experience level. We're really not set back because Bender busted since he's been replaced by Saric. I know the deals to make all that happened were more complicated than that but it's done and over with going forward. We have Saric this year with the option to control his future this coming offseason because we can make him a restricted free agent.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I counted 19, yes, 19 of these threes made possible by Baynes or Kaminsky--either they scored, assisted, or set the screen that gave the shooter the space to shoot.