Preseason: Suns @ Trail Blazers 10-12-19

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think this game is a complete aberration. They won't shoot 50% from the three as a team very much, if ever again this year. But they are much improved over last year.

Probably not but I think this is exactly what the Suns want to do... spread the court with 3 point shooters.

It was fun to watch and it should help give Ayton room to work inside.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Probably not but I think this is exactly what the Suns want to do... spread the court with 3 point shooters.

It was fun to watch and it should help give Ayton room to work inside.
There is always a player that deeply disappoints us and becomes the focus of board animosity. You know, the player we always want the coach to pull because we like the backup better. I thought it was going to be Kaminsky this year, but he is really looking like a solid player. He is not flashy he just makes good choices and has a solid skillset.

Who knows, it might end up being Rubio or Oubre.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I envy Monty as far as determining who the backup pg will be. He has two, maybe even three (Johnson) players who have played well enough to earn that spot. All of them are better than our starters last year.

Any one of the backups we currently have, including Johnson, would have been the clear cut starting PG last year. That's one hell of an improvement.

It's games like these that make me mad that I ever gave McD benefit of doubt. Dude deserves every piece of goat crap that was given to him.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which is hilarious considering they are playing their whole roster and we had our top 3 players sitting. Pretty sure if we went into this game with winning being a high priority than Ayton, Booker and Rubio would have played.

Hopefully. Not to borrow trouble but it did cross my mind that we were moving the ball better without our best players which brought up the possibility that the Coach gave them the day off so they could see how much better the team plays when the ball is moving (not to mention the players).

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hopefully. Not to borrow trouble but it did cross my mind that we were moving the ball better without our best players which brought up the possibility that the Coach gave them the day off so they could see how much better the team plays when the ball is moving (not to mention the players).
I am thinking this may be a possibility. In fact, I am kind of hoping it is.

Rubio sits because he has played so much over the summer, he just needs the rest.
Book sits because he can't seem to abide by the new .5 second rule.
Ayton sits because of lack of aggressiveness.

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to sit young players for stuff like this and still win. In the past, Igor had no teeth because he could not do the one disciplinary thing that gets player attention--he could not bench his young stars and be competitive.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Cam Johnson's shot is so nice. I don't care if he was taken early, he's a good fit for this team. He reminds me of some of the picks in the 90's like Finley and Wes Person. A knock down shooter who knows his role and just does it. It would have been nice to get him later for salary reasons but I do see why James Jones wanted him. Hopefully he's able to add more to his game with time but even if he doesn't, shooters always get minutes.
Person, yes. Finley, no.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

If this was the case, why sit Rubio? Isn't he a ball mover?

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
As much as this could be a possibility I think it is safe to assume that the number 1 reason and maybe the only reason they sat was so other players could get playing time so we can figure out lineups and what players will make the team.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
Blazers announcers making excuses for the team. They don’t need to win, but the suns do etc. you can tell they were expecting the blazers to blow us out, but honestly so was I.
I’ve always felt the Blazers announcers are amongst the biggest homers for their team than most others in the league. All local broadcast teams are, but they are on par with the Celtics, Spurs, and Warriors for biggest homer title.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
45 three point shots 45. Live or die bye them that will be the Suns year.
I would agree, but very few of those 3s were forced and most were open looks. That's simply taking what the defense is giving you and in today's NBA you will gladly take open 3s if the defense is giving you them.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would agree, but very few of those 3s were forced and most were open looks. That's simply taking what the defense is giving you and in today's NBA you will gladly take open 3s if the defense is giving you them.
The three is a potent weapon in today's NBA. Last year's Suns team was middle of the pack in two pointers, but they were 30th from the three. In today's NBA if you don't live by the three, you will die by it. It is essential.

I don't think they were just getting open looks. Monty has been preaching the .5 second rule, which is basically shoot, pass, or drive within half a second of receiving the pass. If you watch the highlights of the night, you will see that it is exactly how they played. No one stood around pounding the ball. It made for great team ball and LOTS of open looks.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As much as this could be a possibility I think it is safe to assume that the number 1 reason and maybe the only reason they sat was so other players could get playing time so we can figure out lineups and what players will make the team.

My "guess" could easily be way off but I just don't buy the idea that it was really and truly just "rest". Booker and Ayton each played a total of 43 minutes in the first 2 preseason games. I guess it's possible that coach wanted to look at all the players but I've not seen preseason handled this way in the past so I'm a little curious.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is not a typical rookie play.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
My "guess" could easily be way off but I just don't buy the idea that it was really and truly just "rest". Booker and Ayton each played a total of 43 minutes in the first 2 preseason games. I guess it's possible that coach wanted to look at all the players but I've not seen preseason handled this way in the past so I'm a little curious.
I think they sat those 3 because they are all entrenched in starting roles. Everyone else that played tonight could be starters, rotation players off the bench or potentially not in the rotation at all, but none of them are guaranteed starters.

Ultimately we have a lot of rotational positions to figure out and playing 3 guys that we already know are going to be heavily leaned on starters doesn't do much to help figure out those other positions.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
If this was the case, why sit Rubio? Isn't he a ball mover?
Also, we know Rubio is the starter, but who is the backup? Just that question could be a compelling reason to sit Rubio. And I'm also thinking they aren't quite sure where to slot Tyler in. I thought he was terrific tonight and really solidifed the backup SG to Booker.

Baynes also needed to have a good game to get him going. And he got it. Again, that could indirectly be good for Ayton. So a lot of positives here.

Also, it seemed to me that the Blazers played McCollum and Lillard A LOT in this game. Almost felt like a regular rotation, but it couldn't have been, could it? That would make putting 134 points on the board even more impressive than it already is.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think they sat those 3 because they are all entrenched in starting roles. Everyone else that played tonight could be starters, rotation players off the bench or potentially not in the rotation at all, but none of them are guaranteed starters.

Ultimately we have a lot of rotational positions to figure out and playing 3 guys that we already know are going to be heavily leaned on starters doesn't do much to help figure out those other positions.

Okay, all that sounds reasonable but then, why don't we see this every year or at least fairly often? And yes, we pretty much know who will be starters but Ayton and Booker need to get into game shape too (which they always say only happens when you play in a game) and they need to learn the schemes and plays that Monty coaches.

I don't believe, whatever the motive for this turns out to be, that it was the plan all along. We heard nothing about it until after the Kings dominated us and then all of a sudden our 3 best players are sitting out a game. And I really believe that if it was nothing more than what you suggest Booker and Ayton would have averaged more than 22 minutes in the 2 games they did play.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Okay, all that sounds reasonable but then, why don't we see this every year or at least fairly often? And yes, we pretty much know who will be starters but Ayton and Booker need to get into game shape too (which they always say only happens when you play in a game) and they need to learn the schemes and plays that Monty coaches.

I don't believe, whatever the motive for this turns out to be, that it was the plan all along. We heard nothing about it until after the Kings dominated us and then all of a sudden our 3 best players are sitting out a game. And I really believe that if it was nothing more than what you suggest Booker and Ayton would have averaged more than 22 minutes in the 2 games they did play.
Well this is the first year with Monty so maybe this is just how he decides to go about it. Also we have a lot of new players and the roles of all of those players is a bit of a question mark. Most teams don't have nearly this much roster turnover from year to year (not even us the last few years) and that continuity usually helps with already having an idea with roles.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Booker, Ayton, and Rubio sat out for a few reasons mentioned here already. I think solidifying who would be the backups was something Monty was able to do easier without them taking up minutes. Their roles are known and that isn't changing. He could rely more on Carter, Jerome, Baynes, and Kaminsky tonight and also get a better look at Tyler Johnson, Saric, Bridges, and Oubre.

I think Bridges and Oubre are also competing for a job and moving Booker to the bench for the night allowed them both to start together to see what they can do as starters. Since those 2 missed a lot of camp, or didn't participate in a lot of camp, they needed to work them back into things. Doing so without the others could have been easier for everyone because they're coming in to be the 3rd or 4th option but without Ayton and Booker, they can be the #1 option and focus a little more on getting themselves into the flow of things rather than getting the other guys going.

It wouldn't surprise me if there was also a bit of talk about the Blazers having the Suns number. I know they've turned over a lot of the roster and the coaching staff but that doesn't change how the Blazers have handled the Suns the last few years with numerous coaches and players involved. Taking our big 3 out of the game allowed the Suns an excuse if they lost but it also helped show that they can win and it's a new team and culture here. No one should have our number because it was changed this offseason.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is always a player that deeply disappoints us and becomes the focus of board animosity. You know, the player we always want the coach to pull because we like the backup better. I thought it was going to be Kaminsky this year, but he is really looking like a solid player. He is not flashy he just makes good choices and has a solid skillset.

Who knows, it might end up being Rubio or Oubre.

I don't think it will be Oubre. He makes things happen on the court and the Suns have run their offense through him. I can see Jevon Carter getting more minutes than anticipated.