Preseason: Suns @ Lakers Wednesday game thread, 10-5-2022

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saric working down low gets to the free throw line.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns don't even exist on the postgame show. It's all Lakers.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He looks dreadful

I think Washington will be okay once he realizes he is no longer playing for the Pacers and it's all right to pass the ball.

He had one nice pass to Saric in the lane in the final minutes.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are the injuries to Cam Johnson and Cam Payne.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have to remember Payne only played a single minute…. And the surprise of the game is Landry picking up the slack.

I think Shamet plays much better as the backup PG. That's also what he players when he looked decent in the playoffs last year. It makes him think more rather than solely looking for his shot.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think Shamet plays much better as the backup PG. That's also what he players when he looked decent in the playoffs last year. It makes him think more rather than solely looking for his shot.
Shamet needs to set before he launches a three. Last night he was what they paid 10 million for.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Interesting stuff in these preseason box scores.

Best +/- for the Suns last night? +20 from

TIMOTHE LUWAWU-CABARROT​

Never heard of him and didn't know he was on the team!

Landale was close with +18, and 14 points. Can we get a nickname for the Aussie? I think he is really going to contribute this year.

Ish Wainright didn't score, but was +16

Nice games by Shamet and Saric

Clearly the bench responded to getting beat up last game and came out in the second half and got us the win last night.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

TIMOTHE LUWAWU-CABARROT​

Landale was close with +18, and 14 points. Can we get a nickname for the Aussie? I think he is really going to contribute this year.

Clearly the bench responded to getting beat up last game and came out in the second half and got us the win last night.
Does someone named Jock really need a nickname?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't know why, but I just watched a clip from undisputed and they are talking up the Lakers as Western confrence contenders after that game.

The Suns playing like crap does not mean the Lakers are good.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

TIMOTHE LUWAWU-CABARROT​

Proof that +- is nearly a worthless stat.

He played ok defense, but otherwise was not impressive to me at all. Just happened to be playing when Jock, Landry and Lee played their best minutes.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Proof that +- is nearly a worthless stat.

He played ok defense, but otherwise was not impressive to me at all. Just happened to be playing when Jock, Landry and Lee played their best minutes.
That's why you never use +/- as the only determination. You have to look at minutes played, production on the court and other factors. Personally, I like to see best lineups and worst lineups. You can see trends if the combos with the worst +/- contain commonalities (the same player). Over the course of the season those combos standout like a sore thumb if a given player is always part of the worst combos. Time and larger sample size solve +/- anomalies.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's why you never use +/- as the only determination. You have to look at minutes played, production on the court and other factors. Personally, I like to see best lineups and worst lineups. You can see trends if the combos with the worst +/- contain commonalities (the same player). Over the course of the season those combos standout like a sore thumb if a given player is always part of the worst combos.
I will agree over a large enough batch of data it is useful, but anyone pointing to it in a single game as proof someone played well does not understand it is a stat for 5 players on the court at a time, not 1.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Landale was impressive. But it's preseason.

Honestly. I came away struck by LeBron James. Not a fan of him as a person, but at 37 years old, his athleticism, size, strength, skills, and health--its all just astounding. I think you could make the case that from a physical standpoint, he might be the greatest all around physical athlete ever. He has to be considered right there with Wilt. His ability to remain free of major injury this far into his career is also an amazing thing.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will agree over a large enough batch of data it is useful, but anyone pointing to it in a single game as proof someone played well does not understand it is a stat for 5 players on the court at a time, not 1.
Who is arguing that exactly? Who is arguing that looking at ONLY +/- is the be all end all stat?

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Missed gm was working but great to see suns out lasted la

Good showings by cp3 book Dario

Tons better than last gm head scratching loss

Goooooo suns

420 hit to 1st suns w even if preseason