Preseason: Suns @ Jazz Saturday game thread 12-12-20

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whole season rides or dies on CP3. That was obvious before the game and we didn’t learn anything we didn’t know, IMO.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Galloway had a good night. Ayton was the same old Ayton. Ill take it over the alternatives. Everyone else seemed rusty. Utah is at altitude maybe not the best place for preseason but we are getting work in. We obviously need to address the backup PG issues Payne was ok but we need more than ok. To be fair we looked like a team that turned over 49% of the roster. We will be ok and preseason is there for a reason. Way too many open uncontested 3s for the Jazz who were on fire and used to the altitude. Once the season gets rolling that will have much less bearing on most games. Suns got thrown to the wolves this preseason with 2 vs Jazz at altitude and 2 vs Lakers but i have a feeling we will be ready on the 23rd to give the Mavs a go.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I couldn't help but think the Suns are fortunate to play four preseason games against very good teams before the regular season opens.

They have a lot to work on both on offense and defense.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty gives his impressions on the game.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really like the attitude Langston Galloway brings to the team off the bench.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Yup, and considering he is already sore, I am not optimistic.
We were missing two players that are big for the fluidity of our offense. Paul in the starting unit (which also puts Payne on the bench where he is most effective) and Saric for the 2nd unit. The offense will look much better when they are playing.

Also shocking that a 35 year old player has a little soreness shortly after restarting full training...

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We were missing two players that are big for the fluidity of our offense. Paul in the starting unit (which also puts Payne on the bench where he is most effective) and Saric for the 2nd unit. The offense will look much better when they are playing.

Also shocking that a 35 year old player has a little soreness shortly after restarting full training...

After last night, my bigger concern is defense.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty likes Jalen Smith's confidence.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty says Mikal Bridges and Cam Johnson are fine.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In regard to Damian Jones, Monty loved what he saw of him.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty thought Payne and Carter played too much and would be better playing spurts.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Galloway had a good night. Ayton was the same old Ayton. Ill take it over the alternatives. Everyone else seemed rusty. Utah is at altitude maybe not the best place for preseason but we are getting work in. We obviously need to address the backup PG issues Payne was ok but we need more than ok. To be fair we looked like a team that turned over 49% of the roster. We will be ok and preseason is there for a reason. Way too many open uncontested 3s for the Jazz who were on fire and used to the altitude. Once the season gets rolling that will have much less bearing on most games. Suns got thrown to the wolves this preseason with 2 vs Jazz at altitude and 2 vs Lakers but i have a feeling we will be ready on the 23rd to give the Mavs a go.

I thought Ayton played pretty dang well for a pre-season game. Didn't feel like same old Ayton to me.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
Hopefully people aren’t putting too much stock into a preseason game. I could care less if they win a preseason game. December 23rd and beyond is all that matters to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopefully people aren’t putting too much stock into a preseason game. I could care less if they win a preseason game. December 23rd and beyond is all that matters to me.

We're a tough crowd. :mrgreen:

No, preseason games do not matter but getting player rotations right and everyone on the same page offensively and defensively is important. It's more about how a team plays than winning.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
We're a tough crowd. :mrgreen:

No, preseason games do not matter but getting player rotations right and everyone on the same page offensively and defensively is important. It's more about how a team plays than winning.
Kinda hard to do when 3 of your main rotation pieces aren’t there. Clearly they have work to do. I agree with what you’re saying. My point is that there is such a thing as over-analyzing preseason to the point where we think it’ll translate to regular season. CP was on JJ Reddick’s podcast recently and told the story of playing on the Hornets for Monty where they didn’t win a preseason game and played horrible but started the year 11-2. Not saying it’ll happen here but I caution us in being too critical when the team was missing key rotation players, and literally just started practicing together last week. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kinda hard to do when 3 of your main rotation pieces aren’t there. Clearly they have work to do. I agree with what you’re saying. My point is that there is such a thing as over-analyzing preseason to the point where we think it’ll translate to regular season. CP was on JJ Reddick’s podcast recently and told the story of playing on the Hornets for Monty where they didn’t win a preseason game and played horrible but started the year 11-2. Not saying it’ll happen here but I caution us in being too critical when the team was missing key rotation players, and literally just started practicing together last week. Haha

I think we are agreeing. I'm just looking at why preseason games are important and it's not wins and losses.

It's more important to find out how you want to play as a team and essential to find player rotations (where players fit) and refine the offense and defense.

Years back the Suns would win most of their preseason games and crash in the regular season so it became pretty obvious that was not an indicator.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I think we are agreeing. I'm just looking at why preseason games are important and it's not wins and losses.

It's more important to find out how you want to play as a team and essential to find player rotations (where players fit) and refine the offense and defense.

Years back the Suns would win most of their preseason games and crash in the regular season so it became pretty obvious that was not an indicator.
If that is multiple choice, I say . . . neither of the above.

Prepare a winning team during the off-season. Set your foundation during the pre-season.
Develop it during the early part of the season. Then build chemistry.

Being deficient in any of those is enough to ruin a season.

Or, in the case of Sarver's Suns, more than a decade.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Just note that wins and losses aside, a weaker than expected Spring Training set the tone for what was an unbearable 2020 D-Backs season.

Pre-season record isn't the end-all-be-all, but bad play there can and often does carry over into the regular season. And in a compressed season like this one, that is a death knell.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just note that wins and losses aside, a weaker than expected Spring Training set the tone for what was an unbearable 2020 D-Backs season.

Pre-season record isn't the end-all-be-all, but bad play there can and often does carry over into the regular season. And in a compressed season like this one, that is a death knell.

lol.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose