Preseason: Arizona Cardinals @ Cinncinati Bengals game day thread. 8/12/22

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Overall impressed. Thoughts:

Dortch really needs to see the field. He had a couple errors on punt returns, but he also showed he could be a difference maker there. It might be worthwhile living with a bit of a rollercoaster there for him to get experience and grow in the role. Showed nice hands and vision.

Isabella showed something but on the long pass interference play he wouldn’t have caught it if clean. He was clearly unable to track it. It’s confounding with his speed.

I am getting concerned that zaven may just not have “it.” He was clearly confused on one play before it began, took several bad angles, and played without pop.

Our running backs, while relatively nondescript, are not a nightmare. Even if conners is injured I think we will get average play there. Keaontay showed glimpses of potential. But averaging 3.3 yards/carry as a group last night wasn’t pretty - though I didn’t see holes for them either.

Hernandez played well
. Josh jones was meh to bad. No bad snaps by our centers was nice.

Dimukeje is showing what I thought I saw in limited snaps last preseason and in few snaps in-seasons. Myjai looked bad imo. And Thomas looked slow.

Wilson was nonexistent to bad. Mathews was a pleasant surprise.

Ledbetter caught my eye in a positive way.

The two QBs played within themselves and better than I expected.
Agree on the bolded.

Ledbetter was another guy who looked the part. I don't think the DL is the disaster some think it is. I think it's average.

I thought that it was telling that Dimukeje was getting a handful of snaps last year...it meant they must have felt he had some potential. He's gotten better and looks like an NFL player.

I like the RB room. I'd probably cut Williams, he's nothing special.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
McBride not playing indicates he will be a receiver used maybe more often than expected in this offense. With Hop out for a few games and Erzt being a solid big target, wouldn't it be great to have a dominant big receiver in this offense. McBride is viewed as a big receiver to me despite his second round best TE hype over-generated as the Cards so often do. The old we got you a star' yea he's hurt most the time and was good 7 years ago, but hey we got you a star'. But, refreshingly McBride provides that youth, hope.

This draft actually seems different than that for the 1st time in a while. I think getting Brown in a quick thinking move reassured me; then the McBride pick too.
He didn’t play because he’s nursing a sore back lol

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
It’s clear that Dortch is better than Isabella, but I also think he’s better than Wesley. I thought that before last night’s game, too.

Dortch seems to make the most out of every opportunity he's given, and has enough talent to do a little damage at the NFL level. He's never going to be confused with DHop or even Kirk. But he's probably the answer for Rondale's back up spot.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Dimukeje looked like a guy who spent the offseason trying to make the roster.

Dortch looked like a depth WR and might add somethign as a returner.

Marquis Hayes looked pretty good. He knows how to use his length and attacks defenders which helped him pick line stunts. I also like that he looks find work.

Cam Thomas looked slow or at least he struggled to separate.

Myjai Sanders looked like he needs to add some size and strength.

Eno was a meh.

Collins was a meh.

Luketa looked strong ala Dimukeje.

James Wiggins looked good.

Matthew held his own at CB.

Ingram caught the ball well which matters.

Lecitus Smith looked good for his first game at C.

(posting this here as well)

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yup. I don’t get why dortch doesn’t see the field in-season. All he’s done is make plays when given rare opportunities. Last night he was our most dynamic player.
I agree but the easy answer to your question is that the top 4 receivers (and top 6 receiving options) didn’t play.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
A lot of things still to be determined but the group of Murray, Conner, Ertz, McBride, Maxx, Hopkins, Brown, Green, Moore, Dortch and Wesley looks like a pretty deep group of offensive talent. The line, health and the defense are the question marks as we knew,

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This is why I like PS games. The first game identifies guys you want to follow in the next two games and guess whether you think they'll make the Final 53. While, I like the lopsided win, it means more Offensive snaps and fewer Defensive snaps, making it harder to judge the Defensive guys. So, for me, I'm looking forward to the Baltimore game.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Keim may just steal this draft with the Hayes and Smith picks.

In the limited play we have seem both look like future LG and C.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Overreaction much?

I'm happy that they played well; I'm always happy when our players play well. It's limited time in one preseason game thus far, and too early to crown anyone future anything.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Agree on the bolded.

Ledbetter was another guy who looked the part. I don't think the DL is the disaster some think it is. I think it's average.

I thought that it was telling that Dimukeje was getting a handful of snaps last year...it meant they must have felt he had some potential. He's gotten better and looks like an NFL player.

I like the RB room. I'd probably cut Williams, he's nothing special.

Williams may be 'nothing special', but last year, Williams stepped up and produced over 1,000 scrimmage yards with eight touchdowns and zero fumbles on 191 touches for the Chiefs. Doubt that KK is going to turf this experience for the Eno's of the world.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Overreaction much?

I'm happy that they played well; I'm always happy when our players play well. It's limited time in one preseason game thus far, and too early to crown anyone future anything.
If someone had posted a video of him missing a block though, you’d be posting about Keim blowing a pick…

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

How he picked up that stunt was impressive, hope he keeps doing that on a consistent basis. The rams love doing it by using Donald as bait. Pugh's failure to shift on stunts in the playoff game led to Murray's interception in our RZ.

Last edited:

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

It's hard not to love this clip. The way he handled that stunt. The way he got down field to find somebody to truck. The way he trucked the first guy. Holding my breath on this one.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The shift on stunts was impressive, hope he keeps doing that on a consistent basis. The rams love doing it by using Donald as bait. Pugh's failure to shift on stunts in the playoff game led to Murray's interception in our RZ.
Hayes did well on stunts all night. Worked pretty well passing them off to Jones. HE uses his arms to create separation very well and he attacks the stunt.

Absolute confirmation bias but I liked Hayes pre-draft and was shocked he dropped as far as he did. This game confirmed what I liked about him and that he can play. At least that is the story I am telling myself.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Overreaction much?

Bad phrasing. What I meant was that a draft that looked underwhelming on paper might well end up finding steals on the O line. It's one game, but both looked good.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Overreaction much?

I think it’s nonsense for when people were praising Will Hernandez for playing well against 2nd/3rd string DLinemen, but I’m fine with the rookie OLinemen playing well. First NFL action for them. That’s what you wanna see.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Overreaction much?

Original post about Keim, used the word MAY. As in there is a possibility. JMO.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
When saying that Williams is 'nothing special', he might have meant that he doesn't play Special Teams.
That and he averages 3.9 per carry...and it's not like he's a full on power back like Conner is either.

He's an average NFL back. Nothing special. Not saying that I think Eno is either, but teams love to keep the guys they drafted and developed.

The way the team has gushed about Eno and to a lesser degree, Ward and Ingram, and has said nothing about Williams. Even during Flight Plan, the guy got like 13 seconds.

I won't be surprised either way, but I think Williams isn't even close to a lock.

Another argument for why he might already be on his way out: he's a new player to the team and you would expect they'd want him to get some game reps before the season.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson