Preseason: Arizona Cardinals @ Cinncinati Bengals game day thread. 8/12/22

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ben Neimann going to be starting at backer...

Rough game for Marco Wilson but it's one pre season game. Nothing to worry about.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ben Neimann going to be starting at backer...

Rough game for Marco Wilson but it's one pre season game. Nothing to worry about.

M. Wilson
Just one pre season bad game coming from a mediocre season for him, u want see him making improvements, not encouraging

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It’s clear that Dortch is better than Isabella, but I also think he’s better than Wesley. I thought that before last night’s game, too.
Yup. I don’t get why dortch doesn’t see the field in-season. All he’s done is make plays when given rare opportunities. Last night he was our most dynamic player.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yup. I don’t get why dortch doesn’t see the field in-season. All he’s done is make plays when given rare opportunities. Last night he was our most dynamic player.
When you listen to KK talk about Dortch, it would appear that Dortch hasn’t quite picked up all of the offense. Kingsbury has said the word “consistency” when he talks about Dortch. I agree with you. The kid produces, so he needs to see the field more in real games.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you listen to KK talk about Dortch, it would appear that Dortch hasn’t quite picked up all of the offense. Kingsbury has said the word “consistency” when he talks about Dortch. I agree with you. The kid produces, so he needs to see the field more in real games.
ehhh... Who are you sitting in the offense once Hop comes back to play him? Special Teams is about it.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Overall impressed. Thoughts:

Dortch really needs to see the field. He had a couple errors on punt returns, but he also showed he could be a difference maker there. It might be worthwhile living with a bit of a rollercoaster there for him to get experience and grow in the role. Showed nice hands and vision.

Isabella showed something but on the long pass interference play he wouldn’t have caught it if clean. He was clearly unable to track it. It’s confounding with his speed.

I am getting concerned that zaven may just not have “it.” He was clearly confused on one play before it began, took several bad angles, and played without pop.

Our running backs, while relatively nondescript, are not a nightmare. Even if conners is injured I think we will get average play there. Keaontay showed glimpses of potential. But averaging 3.3 yards/carry as a group last night wasn’t pretty - though I didn’t see holes for them either.

Hernandez played well. Josh jones was meh to bad. No bad snaps by our centers was nice.

Dimukeje is showing what I thought I saw in limited snaps last preseason and in few snaps in-seasons. Myjai looked bad imo. And Thomas looked slow.

Wilson was nonexistent to bad. Mathews was a pleasant surprise.

Ledbetter caught my eye in a positive way.

The two QBs played within themselves and better than I expected.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
ehhh... Who are you sitting in the offense once Hop comes back to play him? Special Teams is about it.
We got 6 games without hop. And there are always injuries. I’d sit Wesley to keep him on roster and available for punt returns.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think the issue with Dortch is how much him and Rondale overlap.

Then once Hopkins comes back you figure Hollywood would be in the slot more.

I still think in terms of upside Isabella > Wesley as an outside WR. May be too little too late, but I'd rather have guys that draw penalties down field, good decoy to open up things underneath or make plays downfield. Wesley barely avg 8 YPC the last few weeks of the season lingers in my mind.

Again its probably too late though for Andy.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We got 6 games without hop. And there are always injuries. I’d sit Wesley to keep him on roster and available for punt returns.
I get that but Wesley is better built to play the Hop role. Or at least that's what the team thinks. Dortsch is more of a Mondale Moore type. I agree he should make the team but mostly as a ST's guy.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
Taking all of this into consideration, 1st preseason game, no game planning, getting into the groove of being back out there hitting.....but Zaven Collins is not doing any better then last year and seems to get pushed around, just seems so ....bad....but maybe it's just a glitch and he'll get it by the 1st game?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I get that but Wesley is better built to play the Hop role. Or at least that's what the team thinks. Dortsch is more of a Mondale Moore type. I agree he should make the team but mostly as a ST's guy.
I don’t see us running a lot of plays where size makes that much of a difference tbh. Otherwise I’d agree. But teams have shown getting more speed and talent on the field is a benefit.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
I think the issue with Dortch is how much him and Rondale overlap.

Then once Hopkins comes back you figure Hollywood would be in the slot more.

I still think in terms of upside Isabella > Wesley as an outside WR. May be too little too late, but I'd rather have guys that draw penalties down field, good decoy to open up things underneath or make plays downfield. Wesley barely avg 8 YPC the last few weeks of the season lingers in my mind.

Again its probably too late though for Andy.
The thing about Wesley is that he rarely gets separation. And I don't think he contributes on special teams. OTOH he does seem to be a Kingsbury favorite.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
I don’t see us running a lot of plays where size makes that much of a difference tbh. Otherwise I’d agree. But teams have shown getting more speed and talent on the field is a benefit.
With the quality of the tight ends and the size of Green how critical is Wesley's size. Stash him on the practice squad.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
With the quality of the tight ends and the size of Green how critical is Wesley's size. Stash him on the practice squad.
With the loss of Hopkins I get wanting to have size/another possession guy. However, if McBride is ready to roll then two TE's should be on the field a lot anyway.

Im more curious who they keep at RB.

Not sure Ingram stays on a practice squad. Ward helps special teams. Eno offers a different skill set. Its a tough call to make imo.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Several times on defense other players were pointing or telling Zaven where to be pre snap. I will give Collins this first pre season game to knock the rust off. Practice speed is not game speed. I hope to see him look more natural out there by game one. Use that size to bring the pain

BulldogCard

Veteran
Reaction score
McBride not playing indicates he will be a receiver used maybe more often than expected in this offense. With Hop out for a few games and Erzt being a solid big target, wouldn't it be great to have a dominant big receiver in this offense. McBride is viewed as a big receiver to me despite his second round best TE hype over-generated as the Cards so often do. The old we got you a star' yea he's hurt most the time and was good 7 years ago, but hey we got you a star'. But, refreshingly McBride provides that youth, hope.

This draft actually seems different than that for the 1st time in a while. I think getting Brown in a quick thinking move reassured me; then the McBride pick too.