Pregame thread: Week 2 Minnesota @ Arizona 9-19-21

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
No. It is posible to succeed with bad play calling due to superior talent, and IMO that is what is happening, and basically what the author is stating is happening.
So when Murray makes the play that is there, it's a bad play call but only made by Murray, but when he improvises outside of the play the result is even worse...

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Murray is not a bad RT. He is nearly as good as Beachum.

Jones actually played reasonably well at guard, best not to move him and give more experience there.
I think Beachum is better, and Murray isn't nearly as good. Beachum was 16th for all tackles in pass block win rate last season. When factoring that there are 64 starting tackles plus all the backups that get playing time, that makes Beachum a pretty good tackle.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No. It is posible to succeed with bad play calling due to superior talent, and IMO that is what is happening, and basically what the author is stating is happening.

I don't think play calling is the issue. Feels like the author is more critical of some of the underlying tenets of Kliff's scheme (high screen rate, lack of motion, lack of moving WR's to create mismatches, limited routes etc etc)

All these things were better on Sunday, but still less than the average I think. It was better though, it looked more like an NFL offense than it ever has.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Forgot the Vikings have Mason Cole. Sure he's sharing info on the offense.

They also have Kellen Mond who can give them a good look in practice. Not the runner Kyler is, but still pretty good.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Forgot the Vikings have Mason Cole. Sure he's sharing info on the offense.

They also have Kellen Mond who can give them a good look in practice. Not the runner Kyler is, but still pretty good.
Kellen Mond’s play-style is not in the same galaxy as Kyler’s, lol.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I went back and watched the All 22 of the Titans game to see what was different on defense.

I really liked what we did at CB. Both CB's kept their eyes on the QB constantly. A lot of off man and zone. Marco Wilson really had AJ Brown in his pocket. He has great ability to shadow while keeping his eyes on the QB. There's nothing a QB likes less than a CB with eyes for the ball. Of course, all were helped a great deal by pressure from the D line.

Having Simmons and Collins is a big deal for Vance. He had both of them all over the place. For example, on the big goal line stand where we held Henry before Tannehill walked it in he had both of them on the Edge outside Golden and CJ to seal the run to the outside with Hicks and Vallejo in the middle. Their size and athleticism are going to be huge for this D.

I don't know if Simmons and Collins encouraged this change but we also played a tonne of 2 high safety. The vast majority of the game we had both safeties back which is rare for us.

The younger interior D line guys (Lawrence, Fotu and Allen) really need to get better. As well as we did vs the run it was really all Watt, CJ, Golden, LBs and safeties. Those 3 guys did very little apart from occupy O linemen.

The worst thing I saw (comparatively) was Jalen Thompson. I'm still struggling to see what some people see in him. In a game where the D were making plays all over he was late to everything. When you put Budda in the same role he's making splash plays all over, whether it be breaking someone ankles in the run game or knocking the ball away. Jalen is the guy that always turns up a second after someone already made the play. Budda had 5 solo's and 3 assists while Jalen had 2 tackles the whole game and gave up a TD in coverage. He's a JAG for me and somewhere we could definitely improve. If I'm an opposing OC he's a weakness I'm targeting.

Also Titans are trash. Seahawks are -6 and I'd bet that all day long if I was a gambling man.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Cardinals need to be focused on how well they play offensively and defensively. If they do, everything should fall in place in their home opener.

They need to bring their A game and clean up mistakes.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is a really good video and worth watching.

Obviously Brit's don't normally know what they are talking about but this one is ok

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Haha I said in the game thread that the blitz on Nuk's 2nd TD was garbage coverage. Who plays zero blitz with deep off man?

But here's the exact same play vs the Niners and it's a mirror image of Nuk's TD except it's not from the slot

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I went back and watched the All 22 of the Titans game to see what was different on defense.

I really liked what we did at CB. Both CB's kept their eyes on the QB constantly. A lot of off man and zone. Marco Wilson really had AJ Brown in his pocket. He has great ability to shadow while keeping his eyes on the QB. There's nothing a QB likes less than a CB with eyes for the ball. Of course, all were helped a great deal by pressure from the D line.

Having Simmons and Collins is a big deal for Vance. He had both of them all over the place. For example, on the big goal line stand where we held Henry before Tannehill walked it in he had both of them on the Edge outside Golden and CJ to seal the run to the outside with Hicks and Vallejo in the middle. Their size and athleticism are going to be huge for this D.

I don't know if Simmons and Collins encouraged this change but we also played a tonne of 2 high safety. The vast majority of the game we had both safeties back which is rare for us.

The younger interior D line guys (Lawrence, Fotu and Allen) really need to get better. As well as we did vs the run it was really all Watt, CJ, Golden, LBs and safeties. Those 3 guys did very little apart from occupy O linemen.

The worst thing I saw (comparatively) was Jalen Thompson. I'm still struggling to see what some people see in him. In a game where the D were making plays all over he was late to everything. When you put Budda in the same role he's making splash plays all over, whether it be breaking someone ankles in the run game or knocking the ball away. Jalen is the guy that always turns up a second after someone already made the play. Budda had 5 solo's and 3 assists while Jalen had 2 tackles the whole game and gave up a TD in coverage. He's a JAG for me and somewhere we could definitely improve. If I'm an opposing OC he's a weakness I'm targeting.

Also Titans are trash. Seahawks are -6 and I'd bet that all day long if I was a gambling man.
I saw one play where Fotu took his man and destroyed him down by the goal line. What I look for from rotational linemen is for them to make a few plays a game and not get destroyed all of the time. You can win with 3-4 DL like that.

Dogbe might play himself into more snaps...

Thompson didn't have his best game, but what I like is he generally can stay with his man in coverage and he is a sure tackler.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha I said in the game thread that the blitz on Nuk's 2nd TD was garbage coverage. Who plays zero blitz with deep off man?

But here's the exact same play vs the Niners and it's a mirror image of Nuk's TD except it's not from the slot

Steelers, not Neeners

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
How many of you feel a let down Cardinals game coming up this Sunday? #NotSorryScarredTooManyTimes