Predictions, Adjustments Of Strategy For Game 2

shazaam6

Censor this
Reaction score
Suns win because
Amare doesn't foul out
Shaq is a bigger factor
Dantoni plays Giricek more than 12 minutes if Hill is still limited.

Spurs realize their only chance is to get Stat and Shaq in foul trouble so I expect them to become bigger flopping foul beggars than they already are.

Last edited:

Pfunk16

Reaction score
The Spurs are gonna come out shooting the ball a heck of a lot better than they did in the beginning of Game 1. We will flop to get some fouls but so will the Suns. That will never change. Amare will get over 30 points but it wont matter cause Manu & Tony will both have 20+ points between them. Diaw & Bell will be NON factors and finally Shaq will NOT be able to guard Timmah 1 on 1 without getting into foul trouble.............again. Duncan will dominate the paint much like he did in the first game. But thats gonna happen this entire series. So nothing new there. And finally, Bowan is gonna play Nash hard and make everyone mad cause he is such a dirty player. :devil:

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
The only way Suns win Game 2 is this...

Amare stays out of foul trouble

Foul trouble of Amare has nothing to do with flopping by the Spurs... anyone who is honest with themselves will recognize that Amare brings this trouble on himself. He decides to do very stupid things at times. For example - pay attention to how many times he lags behind in the back court and goes for a steal after he misses a shot. That idiot needs to be hustling back on defense and get into position. He actually gets called for a foul or two each game by trying for steals on guards... how many times has he actually succeeded in stealing the ball? I can't recall once.

One more note... Popp is leaning on the refs HARD. Each timeout I see him grab an official and chirp in his ear for a long time. Is D'Antoni doing the same?

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
Obviously, the suns will establish O'Neil early, the NBA is very predictable and the refs will be looking to get Duncan in quick foul trouble. This series needs to go six and Stern will make it happen, I am going to say Duncan has 2 fouls in the first.

Oberto will have at least two flops that he initiates go against him early.

Nash and Bell will get the benefit of several charges/or Bowen will be called for hacking, because he does hack and the refs could call it at any point.

I expect Amare to score 37-45 and pull down 15. Some on this board will question why he takes of his jersey.

Suns win this game by 12.

Andrew will make a shaq post.

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
Actually, Let me modify one thing...

If the Suns hope to win Game 2, the series, and advance into the playoffs:

Amare needs to become super human. He needs to rebound 15+ per game, while scoring 29+ a game. Anything else is unacceptable and will fall short. The fact that LB lead the team in rebounds says one thing... he was the only one playing with desperation. The entire team has to play with desperation. The West is more talented than in previous years, just playing well is not enough.

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
suns need to do a better job switching on the pick and roll. shaq will also have to stay out of foul trouble and hit a few free throws. Amare can't pick up stupid fouls, which we've all been saying for years. that being said i think pop will make all the adjustments his team needs to win. it will be a dogfight.

suns 99
spurs 92

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Man, this is tough.

I bet the Spurs will come out all guns blazing.

I expect Parker, Finley and Ginobili to explode.

Why?, the mental game.... that first game was a heart breaker for the Suns and its a wake up call to the Spurs...

Suns only chance is to play their damn best game this season. And just forget Game 1, its disheartening... or they can pretend they got screwed.... but thinking they could of won... it shatters them mentality... they need motivation...

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Limit Shaq's minutes in the first half to save for foul trouble.

Get Gordon in the game earlier.

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
Last season the Suns responded with a 20 point win.

that was totally different. we were at home in game 2 and had just lost home court advantage. if we would have lost that game 2, we probably would have been swept. this game 2 is a little different.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
There aren't many adjustments the Suns need to make, other than:
  • Shaq needs to be extra careful not picking up silly fouls.
  • Amare needs to be extra careful not making costly mistakes.
But if the game goes down to the wire again and the Spurs hit a bunch of lucky shots again to win, what can you do? These teams are both very good. They both play at a very high level. The luckier team will always prevail.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The only way Suns win Game 2 is this...

Amare stays out of foul trouble

Foul trouble of Amare has nothing to do with flopping by the Spurs... anyone who is honest with themselves will recognize that Amare brings this trouble on himself. He decides to do very stupid things at times. For example - pay attention to how many times he lags behind in the back court and goes for a steal after he misses a shot. That idiot needs to be hustling back on defense and get into position. He actually gets called for a foul or two each game by trying for steals on guards... how many times has he actually succeeded in stealing the ball? I can't recall once.

HA-RUMPH!

i commented on that in another thread. what the hell is amare thinking? just giving a foul away like that. and he does it all the time too. THAT'S JUST IDIOCY. how can the coaching staff not have beaten that outta him by now????

he's the most physically gifted player i've seen on the suns and the biggest idiot at the same time. his bball IQ is really bafflingly low considering his supposed drive to be the greatest and the amount of time he's put into his game.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
HA-RUMPH!

i commented on that in another thread. what the hell is amare thinking? just giving a foul away like that. and he does it all the time too. THAT'S JUST IDIOCY. how can the coaching staff not have beaten that outta him by now????

he's the most physically gifted player i've seen on the suns and the biggest idiot at the same time. his bball IQ is really bafflingly low considering his supposed drive to be the greatest and the amount of time he's put into his game.

I agree, Amare for some reason wants to be known to gaurd smalls and bigs, I really think he is all over the place on defense which contributes to his deficencies.

There is no one on this staff IMO that cares all that much about it.

One Example,
Webber is spending his time trying to teach a 36 year old career 52% FT shooter how to shoot 52%.

The Suns needed a coach in here that could work with Amare on his defensive positioning and put a stop to the nonsense of him guarding 1's and 2's. But instead we hire a drug addict.

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
Referees for game 2:

Dick Bavetta
Ken Mauer
Leon Wood

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
Referees for game 2:

Dick Bavetta
Ken Mauer
Leon Wood

that's actually a pretty decent crew. bavetta is not afraid to make a call and i know he won't give in to the spurs flopping. he's seen it all before.

sLapzsHaQ

I am a mushroomhead...
Reaction score
Suns lose, again, because D'Antoni is so freaking scared.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would not be surprised if D'Antoni relies on small ball and cutting Nash loose more. Shaq plays a few less minutes in the first half and the Suns try to get Barbosa, Bell, and Giricek going.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree, Amare for some reason wants to be known to gaurd smalls and bigs, I really think he is all over the place on defense which contributes to his deficencies.

There is no one on this staff IMO that cares all that much about it.

One Example,
Webber is spending his time trying to teach a 36 year old career 52% FT shooter how to shoot 52%.

The Suns needed a coach in here that could work with Amare on his defensive positioning and put a stop to the nonsense of him guarding 1's and 2's. But instead we hire a drug addict.

Are you really this ignorant about team basketball?

Switching happens on every team in the NBA unless you play zone.

We tried to play zone and people couldn't figure out why. Well it is because our bigs lack the ability (Shaq) or the inclination (Amare) to actually do it.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
To reiterate others....Stat AND shaq need to stay outta foul trouble.
Thats pretty much it. Easier said than done.
Despite having D'Antoni on the sidelines, we're the superior team talent wise. SUNS just need to play smart AND with passion.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HA-RUMPH!

You say you read 7 seconds. It flat says Amare is only motivated about the stuff that Amare cares about.