Prediction Time: Cardinals vs. 49ers

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cards win nuff said. The Dude while has some legitimate points like Gore and Davis are studs thats about it. A. Smith has done NOTHING in this league to fear period! He is clearly just a niner homer who thinks they have uber talent at all positions. While they made some moves that should make them better, it all means crap until it translates on the field. We have owned them the past few seasons and I beleive we are better than we were as are they but we still win!

The Dude

Rookie
Reaction score
Cards win nuff said. The Dude while has some legitimate points like Gore and Davis are studs thats about it. A. Smith has done NOTHING in this league to fear period! He is clearly just a niner homer who thinks they have uber talent at all positions. While they made some moves that should make them better, it all means crap until it translates on the field. We have owned them the past few seasons and I beleive we are better than we were as are they but we still win!

Why do u avoid my answer??? Why did you go completely the other direction and now u are calling me homer. Go back to playing madden and stop pretending that you have any knowledge when it comes to football.

PS. Spell-check is your friend.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really? Well this is what i do know: You have a terrific core of receivers,
a Franchise Quarterback that is ready to break out, and a playmaker in edge. Your offensive Line has been absolutely terrible in recent memory, and brought in Levi Brown to secure Leinart's blind side(also i believe more importantly than the addition to Brown, Russ Grim will have a huge impact on the line). But i fair warning do not put too much stock into what you see in the pre-season because your will set yourself up for failure. As for your defense there are some bright spots. Wilson is a tremendous Safety and easily your best defender. Rolle has lost his job to Roderick Hood who was the nickel corner in philly(my uncle is an eagle fan so i saw a lot of philly games, this guy has decent press coverage but he should not in no way play on a soft cushion, he was beaten by the most simple routes and look lost out on the field) and will play opposite of Eric Green. Your FA acquisition Terrance Holt is terrible, why anyone would take a player from Detroit's defense is beyond me but Holt in particular lacks coverage skills. Rodney Bailey who was a steeler lineman was mostly used in 3rd down packages he does hold some value, Joe Tafoya is a Seattle reject(not much else to say about him). You do have a athletic group of LB's, Dansby is awesome i have been a fan of him since his days at auburn. Monty Biesel has been around the league he his a well seasoned veteran that can fill in. Not to sure of Blackstock i have heard mixed reviews but i don't know enough about him to comment. The loss of Chike Okeafer is going to be hard, but i wouldn't be so quick to label Moses as the savior just yet. Berry is still going strong and he will provide his presence on the line, now you just need someone to match it on the other side. I get the gist of things right? or I'm I still off?

Now lets move to a different argument. I never said that we are going to stop your offense, i do not believe many defenses can. Our defense has improved more and more and more. Clement's who has been undermined through out this entire thread, is a tough Corner and easily one of the top 3 corners in the league. Clements is going to be covering fitz and i think he limit him to about 4-5 catches and maybe around 50 yards. To me that is a good game compared to what you guys have done to us in the past. But where do you come off and say that Clement's would have a tough time with BJ? I could understand Boldin and Fitz but Johnson? I don't think so.

Some word's of wisdom. Coaches Coach, and the Players Play. Just because you change coaching staff's doesn't mean it takes away all of the mental mistakes that have been embedded into your players. It might have some effect but don't hold your breathe.

So now that we have been through why i think we can not stop but do our best against your offense. What makes you so confident that your defense can hold us to 14 points?

I want to quote you on your last post which u mysteriously didn't respond too.

You know whats funny? He almost threw for 300 yard against you last time. and that was with nobody. Now you have to factor in that we have Darrell Jackson, Ashley Lelie, a more seasoned Vernon Davis, Frank Gore who abused just about everyone last season and now he has "fresh legs" going into the season. This will be Alex's second year in the league so expect more creativity and variety in the play-calling. Our offensive line is easily in the top 10 for run blocking and is still very solid in the pass protection(now that we have benched interstate 77 it can only get better). Ask your self, who is going to cover Davis? Dansby? Nope. Wilson? I wish. Holt? Nope. Blackstock? No. Davis is a mismatch for everyone on your defense. Hood and Green are slated to be the starters monday night and i doubt that the have the ability to cover Jackson(who is a well known card killer). Battle has proven to be a clutch performer. The bigger question is who is going to stop Gore? Our offensive line against your defense, we will win 99 times out of 100. We have one of the best pulling guards in Smiley, our Left Side is a manned by Jennings and Allen both road graders. Our fullback Moran Morris will continually find his way into the 2nd level and he will break anyone in his path. We might not be able to stop your offense but don't sleep on us for second or you might find gore 8 yards down your throat.

Hey Dude, your level headed analysis is very much appreciated. I hate when forums like this degrade into "gay this" or "you suck" type of stuff.

Besides the obvious that neither team can make mistakes, I think there are 3 keys to this game.
1. Your cb's "containing" our wr corp. If they can't we will score a lot of points.
2. Cards red zone defense. There is no way we will shut down Gore unless perhaps he's not 100% and that hand bothers him. We will need to hold you guys to field goals. We need to limit his yards between the 20's.
3. Cards 0-line ability to pick up your blitz package. There's not a qb in the league that can be effective when he is getting sacked and hurried. If you guys decide to play back to "contain us" we will "west coast" you guys all night long with short passes and Edge taking time off the clock. If your blit package get to Leinart we will be in for a long night.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys please keep underestimating Clement's ability. come monday night Clements is going dominate. And if i am wrong i will come back to this forum and eat the biggest plate of crow ever.

I am holding you to that.

Hmmmm, I've been noticing some crows out on the golf course and I do have a shotgun. How many do you think we need cfm?

The Dude

Rookie
Reaction score
Hey Dude, your level headed analysis is very much appreciated. I hate when forums like this degrade into "gay this" or "you suck" type of stuff.

Besides the obvious that neither team can make mistakes, I think there are 3 keys to this game.
1. Your cb's "containing" our wr corp. If they can't we will score a lot of points.
2. Cards red zone defense. There is no way we will shut down Gore unless perhaps he's not 100% and that hand bothers him. We will need to hold you guys to field goals. We need to limit his yards between the 20's.
3. Cards 0-line ability to pick up your blitz package. There's not a qb in the league that can be effective when he is getting sacked and hurried. If you guys decide to play back to "contain us" we will "west coast" you guys all night long with short passes and Edge taking time off the clock. If your blit package get to Leinart we will be in for a long night.

Thank you for kind words and i appreciate it. I usually get other fan's respect most of the time if i go to another forum. I am here to talk football, not get into a pissing match. :)

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah I know nothing and play madden...whatever grow up! No need for the personal attack and so what if I misspelled a word, who the hell are you to correct me? Just in case you didn't notice this is a cards board with cards fans so don't expect us to blindly agree with your homerism for the niners! Stick to what you know and obviously its not the Cards.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I...am...trying...to...post...a...negative...prediction. Feel...we...are...disadvantaged...Walsh...tribute...

Cards 31
Niners 21

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah. I just couldn't do it. I tried so hard to remain a defeatist, but the brimming optimism of a new season opening up, with what should be an insanely good offense, just can't keep me down...yet. We win this one. Niners go up early on adrenaline, but our offense cannot be denied. We chew up some clock in the 4th, which helps our shaky defense overcome the 9ers.

The Dude

Rookie
Reaction score
Yeah I know nothing and play madden...whatever grow up! No need for the personal attack and so what if I misspelled a word, who the hell are you to correct me? Just in case you didn't notice this is a cards board with cards fans so don't expect us to blindly agree with your homerism for the niners! Stick to what you know and obviously its not the Cards.

How far off was i in my evaluation of your team? Blind Homerism? I have presented a valid point with all of my expectations for my team. Which in nature will be optimistic and because you are an opposing fan you will not likely agree and like you just did will call it blind faith. My goal was never to come and convert you to my side, i came here to defend my team and argue (although pathetic for your case) football with you cards fans. And if you are going to accuse me of blind homerism, I suggest you take a look in the mirror. I have taken every argument that you have presented and answered it to the best of my ability, yet you still ignore it.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Duuuuuude,
It gets really tiring hearing about how Clements and Harris are going to shut us down.
What if they do shut down Fitz and Q, BTW that is a "BIG IF", what are you going to do about BJ, the Pope, and Edge? (Damn, that sounds like a movie title)
Too many weapons to handle!

The O line is vastly improved and thinking it's not is a mistake, One I hope your coaches also think.

The Dude

Rookie
Reaction score
Duuuuuude,
It gets really tiring hearing about how Clements and Harris are going to shut us down.
What if they do shut down Fitz and Q, BTW that is a "BIG IF", what are you going to do about BJ, the Pope, and Edge? (Damn, that sounds like a movie title)
Too many weapons to handle!

The O line is vastly improved and thinking it's not is a mistake, One I hope your coaches also think.

I never said Clement's or Harris would shut down Fitz and Boldin what i did say if you were reading was that Clement's imo will limit Fitz to a few catches and some yards. While i also said Boldin will have a big game along with Johnson. Edge has the potential to be problematic but Pope? Our Linebackers are more than qualified to cover Pope, i do not anticipate him being a problem. I cannot wait till monday!

BTW you guy's of have repeatedly made it clear that we won't be able to stop your offense, i agree. But what about your defense? what makes you think that your defense can stop gore and our offensive line?

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Does anyone really believe we will only allow 3 TD's or less??? :shock: This will be a high scoring affair, with the winner being whoever has the ball last...

I'm thinking something like a 38-35 score. Ain't no way the Cards putrid pass defense will hold up, and our run defense (which is always shaky at best on the road) will be seriously tested in our very first game.

Let's just hope Whiz can somehow manage the clock to ensure we have the ball last, and with less than a minute left, we move into FG position to kick the game-winning FG as time runs out. If we give the 9ers one more shot on offense - we lose...

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I don't think the score for either team is anymore more then 27.
I'm thinkling 27 to 24.

CARDS WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone really believe we will only allow 3 TD's or less??? :shock: This will be a high scoring affair, with the winner being whoever has the ball last...

I'm thinking something like a 38-35 score. Ain't no way the Cards putrid pass defense will hold up, and our run defense (which is always shaky at best on the road) will be seriously tested in our very first game.

Let's just hope Whiz can somehow manage the clock to ensure we have the ball last, and with less than a minute left, we move into FG position to kick the game-winning FG as time runs out. If we give the 9ers one more shot on offense - we lose...

Our defense kept the first string Chargers offense to 17 points in the first half which would just about equal your 35 points for a full game. Do you really believe the 49ers have as good an offense as the Chargers?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our defense kept the first string Chargers offense playing without the NFL MVP/Offensive Player of the Year to 17 points in the first half which would just about equal your 35 points for a full game.

ftfy.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Tit for tat. Edge didn't play either and we still had a whole bunch more rushing yards than they did using our second and third string RB's. 140 rushing yards in the first half. So does that mean that the vaunted Charger defense got shredded by our 2nd and 3rd RB's? Would LT have gotten more yards? Who knows, but last season, we did a pretty good job of containing a lot of the big name running backs by keying on them. We got beat in other areas, but we didn't allow the big name to beat us. Hopefully with Watson and Dockett clogging up the inside and the speed of our LB's chasing the runner to the outside, we can keep big running gains to a minimum.

You know throwing all this crap at Clancy, we tend to forget that it was he who found a way to stop both Vick and Grossman when no one else could. Let's see what he has up his sleeve for the 49ers.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tit for tat. Edge didn't play either and we still had a whole bunch more rushing yards than they did using our second and third string RB's. 140 rushing yards in the first half.

uh, 40, just for starters, we gained 64 yards rushing... TOTAL... in the ENTIRE GAME against SD could somehow equate to rushing for 140 yards in the first half.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/boxscore;_ylt=Al4SytXNbbsL8E9Hg7L.168isLYF?gid=20070825022

Second, even if our OFFENSE did have 140 yards rushing (which we didn't) against the Chargers defense, what in the world does that have to do with our DEFENSE, which was the issue at hand.. that you brought up in regards to how we'll be able to play the Niners?

Who knows, but last season, we did a pretty good job of containing a lot of the big name running backs by keying on them. We got beat in other areas, but we didn't allow the big name to beat us.

we gave up 118 on the ground last year and 4.1 yards per game - average at best - the only people who would think that was "pretty good" are those accustomed to outright failure. It was average at best. Who cares if we did allow the big name to beat us if someone else running the ball did? Now, were there bigger problems on D? Sure, but the run defense was mediocre at best.

Hopefully with Watson and Dockett clogging up the inside and the speed of our LB's chasing the runner to the outside, we can keep big running gains to a minimum.

hopefully, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Last edited:

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could very well be wrong, but I am hoping that we are going to out-sprint the niners. If we were to score on almost every possession (as we did in the first half of the Chargers game) we can hope to take their running game off the table.

If we are going to pick our poison, I would chose Smith, over Gore. If they are passing to catch up, or keep even, the odds of a turnover are going to increase. Smith is going to have more pressure on him because he is at home. I think there is a real possibility that Smith will have issues, and this will show up in some errant passes. Monday Night Football, with a sell-out crowd and sky-high expectations could very well get into his head. The "sexy pick" pressure of the media is all on them, not us. We're the underdogs, and we always do better when we are.

Last year in the first game against the niners, the same situation almost happened to us. Fueled by adrenaline from the new stadium and great press-clippings, we immediately jumped out to a nice lead. However, that adrenaline soon turned into shaky nerves and we let them back into the game. The same thing can now work to our advantage.

On defense:

If the Cardinals are smart, we are going to see a return of the 2005 version of Adrian Wilson. We need to have someone generate some kind of pass rush, and for now it is going to fall on him. If Eric Green and Hood are merely adequate, then AW will have the confidence of the coaches to wreak havoc once again. I am not a big believer in Dockett, but he plays well against the niners for some reason. We'll see, but this could help tip the scales somewhat also. I don't expect to see a lot of sacks (perhaps none), but I hope to see a lot of hurries. If we are patient, play our game on offense, and don't make multiple mental mistakes, this is a very winnable game.

Of course, so was the Raiders game last year.

JTS

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, let's go. I'm just cracking open a BIG jug of Kool Aid right now, so bear with me.

We are going to come out with some serious misdirection on offense. We are going to test the hell out of this SF Dline...which is a bit banged up. We are going to try to counter and draw and gash them for some nice gains. I would not be surprised to see a playaction on our first play on offense, probably a slant to Boldin to let him do his thing (which is gain about 10 yards off of a 2 yard pass.)

We will CLAMP down on Gore, hard. He will not see five yards from scrimmage until maybe the third quarter on any gain. However, Davis will get loose for a few nice gainers (12-19 yarders) while we adjust defensively to the gameplan adjustments.

We will force Gore to fumble once. We will intercept Alex once or twice. Matt will toss one INT on a misread, probably across the middle. Fitz will haul in a couple of uncatchable balls for 10+gains.

Breaston will put us in good field position, where Rackers will kick us 3 or 4 FGs which will end up the difference in the game. Boldin will score. Davis will score on us as will gore. Once each.

Fitz will either get a TD or come close. Shipp AND Edge will score.

Edge finishes with 110 yards rushing and a TD. Boldin will get 100 plus on 8 catches.

JUST when we think we are in good position for the game, a screen pass or an end around/reverse will gash us for about 40 yards and lead to a SF score.

Pope will have one big play.

Green will get an INT.

We will win the battle of field position.

We will be scoreless after two series of play, but will score on our next three. SF will score on their third series, but will be held scoreless after that until halftime.

In the second half, we will have the lead and will wreck the TOP game in the third, while SF will start to press and we will bring the blitz hard on Alexis. This is when the game starts to break in our favor. Bad decisions on his part give us the ball in favorable field where Rackers hits and Barr puts them deep. Field position is the name of the game in the third.

In the fourth, SF will rally when we make key mistakes, but we will host a rally of our own. Edge gets his TD in the fourth quarter, and a huge runback from Breaston will put us in position to put the game into checkmate with a FG with about 3 minutes left and us up by 10. SF will push it back and MAY cut it to 3, but likely will have to settle for a FG and an onsides.

Cards win by 7.

Mark it down. D-Doggstradomous has spoken.

the donald

Reaction score
I could very well be wrong, but I am hoping that we are going to out-sprint the niners. If we were to score on almost every possession (as we did in the first half of the Chargers game) we can hope to take their running game off the table.

If we are going to pick our poison, I would chose Smith, over Gore. If they are passing to catch up, or keep even, the odds of a turnover are going to increase. Smith is going to have more pressure on him because he is at home. I think there is a real possibility that Smith will have issues, and this will show up in some errant passes. Monday Night Football, with a sell-out crowd and sky-high expectations could very well get into his head. The "sexy pick" pressure of the media is all on them, not us. We're the underdogs, and we always do better when we are.

Last year in the first game against the niners, the same situation almost happened to us. Fueled by adrenaline from the new stadium and great press-clippings, we immediately jumped out to a nice lead. However, that adrenaline soon turned into shaky nerves and we let them back into the game. The same thing can now work to our advantage.

On defense:

If the Cardinals are smart, we are going to see a return of the 2005 version of Adrian Wilson. We need to have someone generate some kind of pass rush, and for now it is going to fall on him. If Eric Green and Hood are merely adequate, then AW will have the confidence of the coaches to wreak havoc once again. I am not a big believer in Dockett, but he plays well against the niners for some reason. We'll see, but this could help tip the scales somewhat also. I don't expect to see a lot of sacks (perhaps none), but I hope to see a lot of hurries. If we are patient, play our game on offense, and don't make multiple mental mistakes, this is a very winnable game.

Of course, so was the Raiders game last year.

JTS

excellent post. but i wanted to comment on the taking out gore thing. last year in many games when we were behind, we came back while running the ball. gore is such an explosive back that he can continuosly(?) get 5 yards on every run. and every few runs break a 10+yarder. and because of that, nobody will ever be able to take away our running game until late in the 4th quarter.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
excellent post. but i wanted to comment on the taking out gore thing. last year in many games when we were behind, we came back while running the ball. gore is such an explosive back that he can continuosly(?) get 5 yards on every run. and every few runs break a 10+yarder. and because of that, nobody will ever be able to take away our running game until late in the 4th quarter.

Last year against gore we held him under 80 yards in both games (one was 70 some, the other was 50 some, IIRC).

The only thing we have to worry about Gore for is if we allow you in the red zone, as he ran in 3 or 4 TDs in our two meetings.

But from a yardage perspective, Gore won't crack a hundred. Mark that down, sign it, seal it and kiss it with D-Doggstradomous' lips. He won't be a factor on the ground (on a screen, he may kill us though).

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would chose Smith, over Gore. If they are passing to catch up, or keep even, the odds of a turnover are going to increase. Smith is going to have more pressure on him because he is at home. I think there is a real possibility that Smith will have issues, and this will show up in some errant passes. Monday Night Football, with a sell-out crowd and sky-high expectations could very well get into his head. The "sexy pick" pressure of the media is all on them, not us. We're the underdogs, and we always do better when we are.

Here is where the difference in Matt Leinart and Alex Smith will become clear. Last year, I infamously called for us to win the game against the Bears partly due to Matt's poise and his possibly being one of the coveted NFL "Monday Night Monsters." He was..he was great in that game before the playcalling took the ball out of his hands.

Alex is decidely NOT a "Monday Night Monster." Matt has played in so many big games...games that had an entire city hanging on every play and every play meaning the opportunity to win a title. Alex has had....none of those events. Matt is made for Monday Night. He will SHINE this week. It will end up one of his best games of the season, when all is said and done. He is a guy that has the big stage ingrained in his being. Alex is a guy still finding his way.

Don't forget that right before we crowned their ass, Matt led us BACK down the field after letting a 20 point lead evaporate at the hands of Denny, to a game-winning FG in the two minute drill. A win that Rackers (RACKERS!!!!!) let slide off of his foot to go wide.

Matt has been there; done that. Alex is going to choke under the big lights. This is his first real test under fire in the NFL. Matt was there as a rookie and put us in a position to win it.

This will be the difference. Poise under center. And finally a center that doesn't have his ass on the ground when he snaps the ball. Thank goodness for Al Johnson...perhaps the best unheralded FA signing of the offseason for any team.

The Dude

Rookie
Reaction score
Excuse me Donald, for a second there i thought you said Alex chore's in big games. Do me a favor and watch the game from Seattle. After 3 quarters of inspiring play a Smith engineered drive sparked our offense which lead to a 4th quarter onslaught against the reigning division champs.

Last edited:

the donald

Reaction score
Last year against gore we held him under 80 yards in both games (one was 70 some, the other was 50 some, IIRC).

The only thing we have to worry about Gore for is if we allow you in the red zone, as he ran in 3 or 4 TDs in our two meetings.

But from a yardage perspective, Gore won't crack a hundred. Mark that down, sign it, seal it and kiss it with D-Doggstradomous' lips. He won't be a factor on the ground (on a screen, he may kill us though).

last year alex was a zero threat though. this year if you stack 8 or 9(like some teams did) alex will get it in the hands of a WR or TE(and our TEs can take it to the house). but i actually can see us cominig out and passing the ball. and opening up gore later in the season for more PA.

funny, our teams are complete opposites on offense. we have to get the extra men out of the box, and you need to get the extra man in the box. you sure you don't want to give us boldin? we will give you delanie walker and lelie.