Preacher (AMC)

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HBO has confessed to cold feet considering the controversial subject matter and announced they were dropping the project.

Someone will make it one day.

:grabs:

That day is finally here:

‘Preacher’ TV Series Confirmed at AMC

http://screenrant.com/preacher-comic-book-tv-series-amc-details/

AMC and Sony Television have confirmed that the network will air a series based on the Vertigo comic book Preacher. Created by Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon, the series centers on Reverend Jesse Custer, a disillusioned Texas preacher who discovers that God has abandoned Heaven and takes it upon himself to set things right. Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg – the writing/directing duo behind last year’s This Is the End – will write the pilot and serve as executive producers on the series. Breaking Bad producer Sam Catlin will be the showrunner.

Ennis had the following to say about the decision to take the story to television:

“Steve Dillon and I are very happy to see Preacher being developed for TV, which seems a much more natural home for the story than a 2-hour movie. Between them, Sony TV and AMC have brought viewers two of my favorite shows with Breaking Bad and Mad Men, and it’s exactly that kind of creative commitment and courage that Preacher needs. Obviously it’s taken a while, but Ken Levin along with Neal Moritz and his team refused to give up, long after the point when I myself grew skeptical, and their unrelenting enthusiasm for the project has gotten us where we need to be. I’m particularly impressed that Seth Rogen, Evan Goldberg and Sam Catlin understand Preacher fully — meaning they get it for what it is, not some vague approximation. All in all, it looks like Preacher can now be brought to TV in a way that I’d previously not have thought possible, and I very much appreciate that Steve and I have been included in the conversation in the way that we have.”

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited by a moderator:

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
watched the series premier last night,....I guess they are going to encore it again next week.

I never even heard of the comic books on this one.

the premier was about establishing the setting and gathering characters,...no real plot development or movement.

but some crazy **** happened.....still not sure if this is one I am going to like but will need to watch another episode or two and see what happens.

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
Weird characters, funny people in front and behind the camera, absurd fights... I'm completely hooked.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was weird. Never read the comic or anything. Plus, it jumped around a bit between scenes. He was here then there then here then there. I am still going to give it a shot but so far just weird.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like it so far I am just not clear WTH is going on. Like I said, not familiar with the comics. I hop they start explaining things soon.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I like it so far I am just not clear WTH is going on. Like I said, not familiar with the comics. I hop they start explaining things soon.

???
preacher has a vamp living in the attic of his church who is his best friend,...has an exe who is a psycho mercenary crime spree chick....and an invisible alien possessing his body and giving his words power to compel....meanwhile a group of semi redneck religious freaks disguised as government agents are hunting the vampire buddy.........

what's not to understand?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
???
preacher has a vamp living in the attic of his church who is his best friend,...has an exe who is a psycho mercenary crime spree chick....and an invisible alien possessing his body and giving his words power to compel....meanwhile a group of semi redneck religious freaks disguised as government agents are hunting the vampire buddy.........

Plenty. What are these demons? Where do they come from? Are there tons of vampires? Does this group hunt only vampires or all supernatural creatures? Who are they and how big of a group? Why pick this town and that preacher? Why did a demon supposedly possess the Preacher but not go on a killing spree like in previous scenes?

There is a ton of stuff not to understand. The show doesn't really have a focused plot arc from what I can tell. Pretty much just a random bunch of stuff happening in this town with weird characters. Lot's of potential for sure.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Plenty. What are these demons? Where do they come from? Are there tons of vampires? Does this group hunt only vampires or all supernatural creatures? Who are they and how big of a group? Why pick this town and that preacher? Why did a demon supposedly possess the Preacher but not go on a killing spree like in previous scenes?

There is a ton of stuff not to understand. The show doesn't really have a focused plot arc from what I can tell. Pretty much just a random bunch of stuff happening in this town with weird characters. Lot's of potential for sure.

I don't think it is a demon,...the first episode showed it flying to earth through space...I dunno,..maybe demons come from space.... the previous people that the entity inhabited exploded,...but they also seamed to all have a feeling of, "I'm special" or huge ego...hard to explain,.. but the first one proclaimed himself the prophet of god right after he was inhabited,...then he exploded...then there was Tom Cruise(no explanation necessary)... whereas, this particular preacher has doubts about his faith and his value as a human in general...I think that has something to do with why he was able to withstand the "Possession"
the vamp called somebody that knows who/what he is,...so my assumption is that he is at least not the ONLY vamp out there...but they hung up on him when he asked for money...
saw a show..."talking Preacher"...(dudes are way gonna use that format to death aint they?) seth rogan said the primary focus on episode one was to give all of the main characters an epic entrance....after that I think it just hits the ground running and by mid season the lack of backstory should be forgotten.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think it is a demon,...the first episode showed it flying to earth through space...I dunno,..maybe demons come from space.... the previous people that the entity inhabited exploded,...but they also seamed to all have a feeling of, "I'm special" or huge ego...hard to explain,.. but the first one proclaimed himself the prophet of god right after he was inhabited,...then he exploded...then there was Tom Cruise(no explanation necessary)... whereas, this particular preacher has doubts about his faith and his value as a human in general...I think that has something to do with why he was able to withstand the "Possession"
the vamp called somebody that knows who/what he is,...so my assumption is that he is at least not the ONLY vamp out there...but they hung up on him when he asked for money...
saw a show..."talking Preacher"...(dudes are way gonna use that format to death aint they?) seth rogan said the primary focus on episode one was to give all of the main characters an epic entrance....after that I think it just hits the ground running and by mid season the lack of backstory should be forgotten.

Oh that's right. I forgot about that. OK, so Aliens and Vampires. Uh OK. Sort of like putting the bookmarks as far apart as possible. LOL. At any rate, I get the trying to introduce characters but the show to me hasn't set any kind of mythos or plot boundaries which is fine into episode 2. I am just hoping they start setting the "purpose" of everything going on soon.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
???

Exactly. The premise is pretty clear. I'd be highly disappointed if everything is explained right away. It certainly isn't that kind of show. The answers will come slowly, and in a fun manner, it seems.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly. The premise is pretty clear. I'd be highly disappointed if everything is explained right away. It certainly isn't that kind of show. The answers will come slowly, and in a fun manner, it seems.

I don't mean giving away the entire story arc or anything like that. I mean giving us a clue about the world they live in and what those rules are. I don't really call a show that has so far introduced an Alien in a small town, a vampire and people want to kill it much of a premise at this point.

Don't get me wrong. I like it so far I just don't know WTH is going on overall.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I don't mean giving away the entire story arc or anything like that. I mean giving us a clue about the world they live in and what those rules are. I don't really call a show that has so far introduced an Alien in a small town, a vampire and people want to kill it much of a premise at this point.

according to what the show creators said....that is exactly where they want us at this point....the intent was to immediately establish a world in which anything can happen.

like you, I would also like to start seeing some firmer ground as we move forward though...the ol'lady has zero imagination and a short attention span so if she cant make sense of something soon she will start nagging me about dvr space,lol.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

It's a weird show without a traditional arc, and I think, like Oaken said, that's where the show runners want us. I think, too, as the show progresses, you'll get on more of an even footing with the plot.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm really enjoying this one so far, unlike David Schwimmer's new AMC show.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still think this is a completely bizarre show. Will stick it out a bit longer.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, so now at least we know there are "Angels" going rogue on Heaven for some odd reason. Probably because they let something out by mistake I am guessing. By next season I should know what is going on. LOL.

At least it's entertaining so far.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
The Preacher is one bad mother "shut your mouth."

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson