Pre-Season Game 1 notes

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Ellington, Williams and Johnson are all trash but Edmonds is fine as a backup to Johnson. Because as you say he is a graduating senior. He is less talented than the other big name college backs but has more college experience.

And I thought George Boone was a distant memory.

The bolded is a fact. I don't know if you're saying this to try and make me look stupid or something. :shrug:

In the year you're pointing to, David Johnson was Chris Johnson's backup. What are you even talking about?

I asked some pretty specific questions in the second paragraph you quoted, and you answered zero of them. I think that you just don't like Chase Edmonds for some reason.

The Pittsburgh Steelers' backup to Bell is Fitzgerald Toussaint, who has 44 carries in his 4-year NFL career. The LA Rams' backup to Gurley is Malcolm Brown, who has 85 carries in his 3-year pro career. Are they meaningfully better off than we are with Chase Edmonds?

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The bolded is a fact. I don't know if you're saying this to try and make me look stupid or something. :shrug:

In the year you're pointing to, David Johnson was Chris Johnson's backup. What are you even talking about?

I asked some pretty specific questions in the second paragraph you quoted, and you answered zero of them. I think that you just don't like Chase Edmonds for some reason.

The Pittsburgh Steelers' backup to Bell is Fitzgerald Toussaint, who has 44 carries in his 4-year NFL career. The LA Rams' backup to Gurley is Malcolm Brown, who has 85 carries in his 3-year pro career. Are they meaningfully better off than we are with Chase Edmonds?

A fact that means nothing to support your argument. I mean college experience?

Yes I want a more experienced back on the team. Don't give a rats ass about the Rams or Steelers. I would rather we signed someone with experience and in the meantime find out what we have with Edmonds. Plain and simple. Typically any rookie will suffer in pass protection and that is just part of it.

You can ridicule 3.5 yds per carry or Williams 3.6 last year all you want. I say you will wish we had this from our backups as the season goes on.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
A small fourth round pick out of Fordham should not be your backup to DJ. In the past we had Chris Johnson and last year signed AP when DJ went down. This guy is a situational back at best in my opinion.

Walter Payton played where? Plenty of rookies and rookies from small schools have stepped in at RB and played well from day one.

And as Kerouac stated Johnson/Peterson were hot garbage, so your example falls flat on it's face.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Yes I want a more experienced back on the team. Don't give a rats ass about the Rams or Steelers. I would rather we signed someone with experience and in the meantime find out what we have with Edmonds. Plain and simple. Typically any rookie will suffer in pass protection and that is just part of it.

You can ridicule 3.5 yds per carry or Williams 3.6 last year all you want. I say you will wish we had this from our backups as the season goes on.

Is there someone you wish we'd signed earlier in free agency, or someone you wish we'd get now? I mean, I'd love if Dalvin Cook were our #2 RB right now, too, but he wasn't really available.

Penny's been with the team since 2016. Derrick Coleman is a 6-year NFL vet. D.J. Foster has 2 years in the League.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's only a problem if he doesn't perform.

Did we know what we had with Johnson at #2?

More than a few panned the pick if I recall.
The way it works in stacking an NFL roster is: you seldom if ever can fill all holes equally. There just isn't enough cap room or money to accomplish everything.

So you roll the dice at certain positions and hope you can uncover a few sleepers, avoid injuries etc.

Some teams (translation: Patriots) seem to do this better than others.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Walter Payton played where? Plenty of rookies and rookies from small schools have stepped in at RB and played well from day one.

And as Kerouac stated Johnson/Peterson were hot garbage, so your example falls flat on it's face.

And Tom Brady was a 7th round pick. So what? Like I said the 3.5 YPC and 3.6YPC from AP and Williams may be looking pretty good very shortly.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is there someone you wish we'd signed earlier in free agency, or someone you wish we'd get now? I mean, I'd love if Dalvin Cook were our #2 RB right now, too, but he wasn't really available.

Penny's been with the team since 2016. Derrick Coleman is a 6-year NFL vet. D.J. Foster has 2 years in the League.

Actually wouldn't have minded if we signed Alfred Morris. Not too many carries the last couple of years but still looks productive. Penny and Coleman are FB's. Loved the Coleman signing and glad we are using FB.

dylanbw

Registered
Reaction score
This thread started off with a great original post, and then quickly spiraled downward. If this team's biggest issue in 2018 is Chase Edmonds' lack of NFL experience, we are going 12-4. This is crazy talk. RB seems to be the most instinctual position in the NFL. Either you see where the wholes will be or you do not. Yes, blitz pick up is critical and takes experience to master. personally, lack of depth at OL, LB, and WR is much more concerning than Chase Edmonds!

Reaction score

You do realize David Johnson was our inexperienced back up the year we drafted him don't you? We drafted him in the 3rd & Chase in the 4th. We've done this in the past & it's never been an issue. I'm not sure why you are worried about it this year PJ.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You do realize David Johnson was our inexperienced back up the year we drafted him don't you? We drafted him in the 3rd & Chase in the 4th. We've done this in the past & it's never been an issue. I'm not sure why you are worried about it this year PJ.

Had Ellington then and we were just starting to realize he was a problem and honestly I considered him the backup. The mix of experience didn't bother me then. I don't mind Edmonds or Logan. Just wish we had a vet with experience and size.

This does not mean I believe this is the most important deficiency. As I mentioned I agreed with the OL depth being a problem. Have no idea what we will get with the WR group. LB has been an issue forever. Just not comfortable with Edmonds being a backup. Even if he may become the next Walter Payton.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA