Praters misses

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The crazy thing about holding kicks is that they always hold the ball with their left hand, even if right handed.

I've put myself through this imaginary drill before. You're on the kicker's right side because he's right footed. When that snap comes, your right hand is on top. So if you're right handed, the easiest thing to do is catch the ball with your right hand on top and follow it down with your right hand, ultimately holding it with your right hand. Yet for some reason, nobody does that. It must be too much of a distraction having the holder's right arm crossing over like that. Maybe your head gets in the way? So you have to catch with your top right hand, switch to left hand, following down with your left hand dominating, spin the ball to move the laces, and hold with your left hand. I don't know how they ever pull this off.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Kicking is a weird art form, kickers are weird, you are in the world of hocus pocus. I believe they once asked Jimmy Johnson or some other noted coach about his kicker when he hit a slump and asked what he told him, and the coach said, "Talk to him? Kickers are strange and you just hope they figure it out" lol

BulldogCard

Veteran
Reaction score
Prater was fighting it that day. Hooking 30 somethings that would have been good from 60. He just tried to kick too hard.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
There was supposedly a crosswind and the kicks swerved sideways but the windsocks on the goalposts were hanging limp

Maybe the Seahawks filled them with sand haha
limp windsocks, so much for the 12th Man….

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
The crazy thing about holding kicks is that they always hold the ball with their left hand, even if right handed.

I've put myself through this imaginary drill before. You're on the kicker's right side because he's right footed. When that snap comes, your right hand is on top. So if you're right handed, the easiest thing to do is catch the ball with your right hand on top and follow it down with your right hand, ultimately holding it with your right hand. Yet for some reason, nobody does that. It must be too much of a distraction having the holder's right arm crossing over like that. Maybe your head gets in the way? So you have to catch with your top right hand, switch to left hand, following down with your left hand dominating, spin the ball to move the laces, and hold with your left hand. I don't know how they ever pull this off.
It’s about economy of motion. It’s most efficient to be facing the LS, receive the ball, and spot it with the left hand. Attempting to get your right hand to place and your left out of the way causes extra and unnecessary movement- messes with timing.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
It’s about economy of motion. It’s most efficient to be facing the LS, receive the ball, and spot it with the left hand. Attempting to get your right hand to place and your left out of the way causes extra and unnecessary movement- messes with timing.
It also allows you predominant hand to turn the ball so that the laces are out.

As far as the misses, it just goes to show how important the snapper, holder, and kicker are to the process. It's why Scott Player was held onto for do long because as a punter he was below average towards the end but his holding was second to none.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m giving him a one game mulligan. It happens to some good kickers. Just have to make sure it doesn’t linger and start a trend.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would having a new long snapper also factor into this issue as well? Certain way ball needs to be snapped so Andy does not have to worry about moving ball around too much to get laces facing right direction?

He has to make them but all 3 misses had snap issues. One was too far from Lee he had to reach out catch it and pull it back. One was snapped right at Lee's body so he had to catch it and move it over. For both of those the timing is off because Prater is already moving towards the ball.

then the laces because the snap was high so Lee didn't think he could turn it in time

Prater has to make them but there were snap issues