Potential trade down partner - New Orleans Saints

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
It may be difficult to trade down this year but if it is possible, I think the Saints may be the most likely possibility. They have a history of being willing to trade up and have plenty of draft capital [2 three's this year and 3 compensatory picks including a three next year]. And we know the Cardinals are sorely lacking in mid-draft picks this year.

To go down 12 picks, the draft compensation chart says it would cost the Saints their second round pick and one of their third round compensatory picks. But I'd rather take one of the three's this year and their 2022 second round pick which potentially could be higher that this year's second. With all the one year contracts, the Cardinals should start accumulating 2022 draft capital IMO.

I'm not really thrilled with what potentially will be available at #16. But will there be someone there that interests the Saints?

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steelers take Najee round 1 the press will be "What a genius move of a franchise returning to the days of Jerome Bettis and Franco Harris"

Cardinals take Najee round 1 the press will be "The Cardinals continue to live in the past that RBs actually matter. The David Johnson days are over"

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Should be a couple options this year if we really want to go back. We may not get more than a 3rd but Saints, Jags, Jets, Steelers, Dolphins, Chargers, and several other teams will be looking to get certain players at certain positions. 16 is still a decent spot for those teams and their needs.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steelers take Najee round 1 the press will be "What a genius move of a franchise returning to the days of Jerome Bettis and Franco Harris"

Cardinals take Najee round 1 the press will be "The Cardinals continue to live in the past that RBs actually matter. The David Johnson days are over"

this is 1000% accurate

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
It may be difficult to trade down this year but if it is possible, I think the Saints may be the most likely possibility. They have a history of being willing to trade up and have plenty of draft capital [2 three's this year and 3 compensatory picks including a three next year]. And we know the Cardinals are sorely lacking in mid-draft picks this year.

To go down 12 picks, the draft compensation chart says it would cost the Saints their second round pick and one of their third round compensatory picks. But I'd rather take one of the three's this year and their 2022 second round pick which potentially could be higher that this year's second. With all the one year contracts, the Cardinals should start accumulating 2022 draft capital IMO.

I'm not really thrilled with what potentially will be available at #16. But will there be someone there that interests the Saints?

Problem is, I think they would want to move up to take a player we want, like Horn. In that case, I'd stay put and take Horn.

How about Pittsburgh? Swap 1’s and get their 2nd. The want Harris.

In a heartbeat, if a player I really want isn't there. Don't see it happening, though. Pittsburgh has lots of holes and won't trade their #2.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For us to trade down there has to be a player somebody wants. That could be a qb, rb or oline. It would also have to be a player we do not desire.

I think 1 or 2 of the qbs will slip. A guy like AVT could really entice the Steelers to move up since they lost 3 starters.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I would like something like this:

Jacksonville Trades #25 and #45 and #65

Cardinals Trade #16 and #49

Jags move up for a stud WR that drops to pair with Trevor
and this is what I am talking about. Teams are going to be hesitant to trade 2022 picks and those with a bunch of picks will likely look to package a couple to get certain players they really like.

The OL class is deep but maybe the Bengals, Dolphins, Jags, and Jets like the second tier more than the third tier and they will give up a 2nd or 3rd to get to 16. RB same. Maybe a team will want the top EDGE player on their board. Not necessarily blockbuster moves but moves to get to players they are more comfortable with.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I’ve been thinking Cleveland would be a great trade down partner.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave