Potential 2015 Cardinals Offseason Moves

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the 2014 season in the books it's now time to look at where the Cardinals should go from here. That means Keim and company need to look at what they have currently on the roster and where they could possibly make moves. The projected 2015 Salary cap is around $140M. That would put the Cardinals currently about $11M over the cap. Here are the Potential moves where the Cardinals could free up some cap space:

1. Larry Fitzgerald - His contract is the Elephant in the room. There is zero possibility that the Cardinals keep Larry with his current contract. Either Larry takes a pay cut or they cut him before his roster bonus is due. I can see the Cards keeping him at $8-10M per year. Cutting Larry before his roster bonus is due would save the Cardinals about $9M
  2. Darnell Dockett - At 33 years old and coming off a major knee injury there is no way the Cardinals keep Dockett at his current salary. So either the Cardinals reduce his salary or the out right cut Dockett. No other player on the team bleeds Cardinal red like Dockett. However much like it was painful to release Adrian Wilson it may be time to let Dockett go unless he is willing to play for about $3M this year. Cap savings of $6.8M.
  3. Daryl Washington - What could have been... It still infuriates me that a player could be so selfish and stupid. However the fact remains that he is still the best player on the Defense when he is on the field. I fully expect him to get another 6 game suspension for his domestic dispute case. With that said cutting Washington actually costs the team money. We are stuck with Washington and just have to hope he doesn't do anything else that will cause him to get into trouble.
  4. Jerraud Powers - Powers has been a great pickup but his salary is scheduled to go up this year. Cutting Powers could save the Cardinals $4.25M. I like Powers and think he stays but if the Cardinals need to find money somewhere Powers could get the axe.
  5. Ted Ginn Jr - I didn't like this pick up in the offseason. He is pretty much worthless as a WR. His value is in the return game and he showed very little in that regard. Cutting him would save $2.5M.
  6. Lorenzo Alexander - In the final year of his contract, Alexander hasn't shown enough to warrant keeping him on the team. Cutting him would save $1.55M and that money would be better used elsewhere.
  7. John Carlson - In the final year of his contract Carlson could be cut if the Cardinals have their sights on another TE. Cutting Carlson would save $1.6M against the Cap.
  8. Lyle Sendlein - I don't see the Cardinals getting rid of Sendlein. However if they did become desperate for cap space they would save $3.15M by cutting Sendlein.
  9. Ted Larson - Another player who I don't see going anywhere. The ability of Larson to play both center and guard is very valuable. However if the are desperate for cap space they could let him go and save $1.6 against the cap.
If I were Keim I would cut Powers, Ginn, Alexander and Carlson. That would save $9.9M against the cap. I'd approach Dockett and see if I could get him to take a pay cut and save another $4.5M which would bring the total savings to $14.4. Finally I would cut Fitz and save that $9M. By making these moves you would enter the offseason with around $10-12M to work with. Losing Powers and Fitz hurts. However Keim has proven that he and do a lot with little.

Tyler3450

All Star
Reaction score
With the 2014 season in the books it's now time to look at where the Cardinals should go from here. That means Keim and company need to look at what they have currently on the roster and where they could possibly make moves. The projected 2015 Salary cap is around $140M. That would put the Cardinals currently about $11M over the cap. Here are the Potential moves where the Cardinals could free up some cap space:

1. Larry Fitzgerald - His contract is the Elephant in the room. There is zero possibility that the Cardinals keep Larry with his current contract. Either Larry takes a pay cut or they cut him before his roster bonus is due. I can see the Cards keeping him at $8-10M per year. Cutting Larry before his roster bonus is due would save the Cardinals about $9M
  2. Darnell Dockett - At 33 years old and coming off a major knee injury there is no way the Cardinals keep Dockett at his current salary. So either the Cardinals reduce his salary or the out right cut Dockett. No other player on the team bleeds Cardinal red like Dockett. However much like it was painful to release Adrian Wilson it may be time to let Dockett go unless he is willing to play for about $3M this year. Cap savings of $6.8M.
  3. Daryl Washington - What could have been... It still infuriates me that a player could be so selfish and stupid. However the fact remains that he is still the best player on the Defense when he is on the field. I fully expect him to get another 6 game suspension for his domestic dispute case. With that said cutting Washington actually costs the team money. We are stuck with Washington and just have to hope he doesn't do anything else that will cause him to get into trouble.
  4. Jerraud Powers - Powers has been a great pickup but his salary is scheduled to go up this year. Cutting Powers could save the Cardinals $4.25M. I like Powers and think he stays but if the Cardinals need to find money somewhere Powers could get the axe.
  5. Ted Ginn Jr - I didn't like this pick up in the offseason. He is pretty much worthless as a WR. His value is in the return game and he showed very little in that regard. Cutting him would save $2.5M.
  6. Lorenzo Alexander - In the final year of his contract, Alexander hasn't shown enough to warrant keeping him on the team. Cutting him would save $1.55M and that money would be better used elsewhere.
  7. John Carlson - In the final year of his contract Carlson could be cut if the Cardinals have their sights on another TE. Cutting Carlson would save $1.6M against the Cap.
  8. Lyle Sendlein - I don't see the Cardinals getting rid of Sendlein. However if they did become desperate for cap space they would save $3.15M by cutting Sendlein.
  9. Ted Larson - Another player who I don't see going anywhere. The ability of Larson to play both center and guard is very valuable. However if the are desperate for cap space they could let him go and save $1.6 against the cap.
If I were Keim I would cut Powers, Ginn, Alexander and Carlson. That would save $9.9M against the cap. I'd approach Dockett and see if I could get him to take a pay cut and save another $4.5M which would bring the total savings to $14.4. Finally I would cut Fitz and save that $9M. By making these moves you would enter the offseason with around $10-12M to work with. Losing Powers and Fitz hurts. However Keim has proven that he and do a lot with little.

think they restructure with dockett by adding a few more years and spreading his money out and making some of it guaranteed money. It will lower the cap number on a sliding scale.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
[*]Ted Ginn Jr - I didn't like this pick up in the offseason. He is pretty much worthless as a WR. His value is in the return game and he showed very little in that regard. Cutting him would save $2.5M.

Would save about 20 yards of field position to boot. Also, Drew Butler should be dropped off in the middle of the Grand Canyon.

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
think they restructure with dockett by adding a few more years and spreading his money out and making some of it guaranteed money. It will lower the cap number on a sliding scale.

That's a possibility. However, how many years does Dockett have left in him? Will the Cardinals want to invest money in an aging player? It's in the best interest of the team to have Dockett take a pay cut and for him to show the Cardinals that he can still produce on the field.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I think you have to keep Powers -- especially if you lose Cromartie.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
I thought Jerraud Powers was outstanding this year. BA loves him. He apt to get an extension, but he won't be asked to take a pay cut.

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought Jerraud Powers was outstanding this year. BA loves him. He apt to get an extension, but he won't be asked to take a pay cut.

That is a very good possibility and would free up some cap space. It would be a much better option than cutting him.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score

Excellent post, MadCard! My own sense is that of the players on that list only Powers, Sendlein and Larsen (unless they draft a C in the first 4 rounds) will be on the roster next year. Maybe Dockett if he agrees to a significant pay cut. Slightly maybe Fitz if he truly wants to stay.

Reaction score
[/LIST]If I were Keim I would cut Powers, Ginn, Alexander and Carlson. That would save $9.9M against the cap. I'd approach Dockett and see if I could get him to take a pay cut and save another $4.5M which would bring the total savings to $14.4. Finally I would cut Fitz and save that $9M. By making these moves you would enter the offseason with around $10-12M to work with. Losing Powers and Fitz hurts. However Keim has proven that he and do a lot with little.

Wouldn't this be 23.4 million to work with?

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice post madcard.

Carlson should go. Fells, I thought, was a bright spot. Niklas will be back next year so we'll get another look at him. What about Housler?

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Nice post madcard.

Carlson should go. Fells, I thought, was a bright spot. Niklas will be back next year so we'll get another look at him. What about Housler?

Housler is an UFA this year so they wont bring him back.

Ed Burmila

Registered
Reaction score
Disagree only about Powers. Powers was fantastic and at times this year was our best cover man. He stays no matter what.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Jerraud Powers, John Carlson, and Ted Larson should all be back, IMO.

The rest, meh.

nationsrj

Veteran
Reaction score
Potential 2015 Cardinals Offseason Moves

Larry Fitzgerald - Currently his agent and cards are talking and both are moving off initial points. possible 60-40 he stays.
Darnell Dockett - Ask him to take pay cut, and let him go if he thinks he can get more from another team. He was tailing off in 2013 and I don't see him getting better off of the injury.
Daryl Washington - I agree with your assessment of him.
Jerraud Powers - I don't see Cromartie staying with the cards unless they pony up the money, so Powers won't be going anywhere.
Ted Ginn Jr - I agree with your assessment of him, he can be replaced with UDFA that will provide no worse play than Ginn over the year.
Lorenzo Alexander - Very strong player and leader for the Special Teams. Doubt he goes anywhere.
John Carlson - He started out as the clear starter at TE, then had Fells take on more playing time. With Niklas and Fells returning, I see him let go for another mid-range FA TE.
Lyle Sendlein - I don't see the Cardinals getting rid of Sendlein. I hope they bring in someone beside Larsen to develop as a replacement for Sendlein.
Ted Larson - I agree with your assessment.

I would add Chris Clemons to this list and would be surprised if he is on the team next year.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson