Possible trade acquisitions

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I have obviously only included well known players, simply because I don’t know all the lesser known players that could get traded. I should also note that I absolutely think the Cards should be players on the trade market, even though they probably won’t go anywhere this year. First, you can’t just give up before the games are played. Second, Keim needs to do something to save his job. Three, the team does not simply stop to exist when the season ends. It would not just be an upgrade for this year.

OJ Howard – tight end, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Apparently the Bucs have no intention of dealing Howard, as Albert Breer the other day reported that the Patriots had asked, but was told that he was not for sale. On the other hand, Howard has been the topic of several trade speculations, including amongst other insiders and analysts. Also, Howard is barely being used in their offense.

Don’t think of Howard as a tight end. Think of him as a receiver. Of course, he is a good blocker, but he is an outstanding pass catcher, and if both abilities were deployed fully, I think he could be one of the better tight ends in the league. I think Fitzgerald is still performing on a very high level, but outside of him, Howard would easily be the best receiver on the roster. Maybe challenged a little by Kirk, but they would obviously have completely different roles.

The use of tight ends in Kingsbury’s offense has only gone up since the season began. Maybe that has been because of necessity, and maybe it has not.

Give Jason Licht and Bruce Arians a call.

I think he could be had for a second round- and a later round pick.

Leonard Williams – defensive tackle, New York Jets

Just like with Howard, Williams is supposedly not even on the trade block according to his present team. And just like with Howard, that is only until he is on the trade block.

Williams has not at all lived up to his high draft status – and widely considered as his draft class’ best prospect – but I don’t think he has played bad. He is just not a monster (and so far this season has not been good). Also, he is only 25, and talent like he has shown doesn’t just vanish up in the air. Maybe a change of scenery will help.

He can line up in various positions, and he can bring brute force and power to the defensive line. Outside of Corey Peters, I am not impressed with anyone.

I think a third- and a lower round pick would be sufficient.

Jakeem Grant – wide receiver, Miami Dolphins

It’s pretty easy to argue why the Dolphins would move Grant, since they are selling everything with a pulse, and Grant has been brought up as a trade candidate.

Grant is a very small guy, but he is also very, very fast. I mean extremely fast. On top of that, he is elusive and plays with good vision. He is a threat to score on any play. Of the same reasons, he is also a very good special teams player. And actually, he is basically the only guy in the league with those physical abilities that are primarily used as an outside receiver.

Oh, and by the way, he broke numerous school records when playing for Texas Tech under Kliff Kingsbury.

I think Grant could be had for a mid- to late round pick.

---------------------------

And I am just going to end this post with a quote from tight end, Rob Gronkowski:

“There’s a lot of great coaches out there but there’s one that sticks out. I love [Kingsbury].”

“I know the guy and I just feel like it’d be a great fit. He knows football. He actually played in New England for a year or two, so that would be amazing. Likes to throw it, great personality. It would be awesome.”

It probably means nothing, but I am just saying.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Grant & Albert Wilson are on my radar. Both have injury concerns. Wilson more than Grant but both are susceptible.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I have obviously only included well known players, simply because I don’t know all the lesser known players that could get traded. I should also note that I absolutely think the Cards should be players on the trade market, even though they probably won’t go anywhere this year. First, you can’t just give up before the games are played. Second, Keim needs to do something to save his job. Three, the team does not simply stop to exist when the season ends. It would not just be an upgrade for this year.

Apparently the Bucs have no intention of dealing Howard, as Albert Breer the other day reported that the Patriots had asked, but was told that he was not for sale. On the other hand, Howard has been the topic of several trade speculations, including amongst other insiders and analysts. Also, Howard is barely being used in their offense.

Don’t think of Howard as a tight end. Think of him as a receiver. Of course, he is a good blocker, but he is an outstanding pass catcher, and if both abilities were deployed fully, I think he could be one of the better tight ends in the league. I think Fitzgerald is still performing on a very high level, but outside of him, Howard would easily be the best receiver on the roster. Maybe challenged a little by Kirk, but they would obviously have completely different roles.

The use of tight ends in Kingsbury’s offense has only gone up since the season began. Maybe that has been because of necessity, and maybe it has not.

Just like with Howard, Williams is supposedly not even on the trade block according to his present team. And just like with Howard, that is only until he is on the trade block.

Williams has not at all lived up to his high draft status – and widely considered as his draft class’ best prospect – but I don’t think he has played bad. He is just not a monster (and so far this season has not been good). Also, he is only 25, and talent like he has shown doesn’t just vanish up in the air. Maybe a change of scenery will help.

He can line up in various positions, and he can bring brute force and power to the defensive line. Outside of Corey Peters, I am not impressed with anyone.

It’s pretty easy to argue why the Dolphins would move Grant, since they are selling everything with a pulse, and Grant has been brought up as a trade candidate.

Grant is a very small guy, but he is also very, very fast. I mean extremely fast. On top of that, he is elusive and plays with good vision. He is a threat to score on any play. Of the same reasons, he is also a very good special teams player. And actually, he is basically the only guy in the league with those physical abilities that are primarily used as an outside receiver.

Oh, and by the way, he broke numerous school records when playing for Texas Tech under Kliff Kingsbury.

And I am just going to end this post with a quote from tight end, Rob Gronkowski:

“There’s a lot of great coaches out there but there’s one that sticks out. I love [Kingsbury].”

“I know the guy and I just feel like it’d be a great fit. He knows football. He actually played in New England for a year or two, so that would be amazing. Likes to throw it, great personality. It would be awesome.”

Only way the Cardinals are buyers next week is if they somehow beat the Saints? Never say never cause on any given day.............? SK isn't working to save his job, he's buddies with MB & will not be let go until MB has no choice but to fire him. So far this season his OL he assembled has looked very good & having the intuition to go out & hire Sean Kugler has paid off, not to mention getting KK & drafting KM. Yeah, MB isn't firing SK any time soon, have no idea why people keep saying he will get fired because they're buddies & MB trusts SK & leans on his decisions. He's made some bad draft decisions yes but the 2 of them are close & because of that.............yeah, don't hold your breath on that firing lol.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cap issues won’t likely let us trade for anyone worth a damn.

who cares this team isn't making a run anyway as constructed. Why waste draft capital. We are mediocre at best. With all the cap room and another draft next year I could see it. But not now.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think it is likely we won't end up with any of those trade candidates. Think smaller.:)

Well, Ronin, as I stated as one of the premises, there is a reason why I don’t think smaller.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
who cares this team isn't making a run anyway as constructed. Why waste draft capital. We are mediocre at best. With all the cap room and another draft next year I could see it. But not now.

You are right, Shane, in that cap space simply does not matter. I have stated it many times before, and the point is still the same, that cap space is way overrated. If it is an issue, just restructure some contracts. Every team easily have the cap room to do it. Now, in not so long in the future a new CBA will be implemented, and who knows what that will include (which is probably why teams are somewhat hesitant to use all their cap room each year), but for now it really has no effect at all how many money you have at your disposal.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Only way the Cardinals are buyers next week is if they somehow beat the Saints? Never say never cause on any given day.............? SK isn't working to save his job, he's buddies with MB & will not be let go until MB has no choice but to fire him. So far this season his OL he assembled has looked very good & having the intuition to go out & hire Sean Kugler has paid off, not to mention getting KK & drafting KM. Yeah, MB isn't firing SK any time soon, have no idea why people keep saying he will get fired because they're buddies & MB trusts SK & leans on his decisions. He's made some bad draft decisions yes but the 2 of them are close & because of that.............yeah, don't hold your breath on that firing lol.

I actually don’t think he will be fired either, and it was wrong phrased by me. What I mean is that if the Cards don’t start to be serious contenders in the division within a reasonable amount of time, he will be let go. I don’t see it as trying to compete this year. They won’t. I see it more as a long term thing.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I actually don’t think he will be fired either, and it was wrong phrased by me. What I mean is that if the Cards don’t start to be serious contenders in the division within a reasonable amount of time, he will be let go. I don’t see it as trying to compete this year. They won’t. I see it more as a long term thing.
Reasonable amount of time as when almost the whole stadium is empty because of losing. That's when & only when MB will fire his best friend SK, let's hope the losing never gets to that point. Go Cards.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think that it's more likely that the Cardinals lose big this week, and with the 49ers on the horizon, realize that they are sellers in the trade market. And, as such, I can see the Patriots coming after Charles Clay or Maxx Williams. I'd hold on to Maxx, but would trade Clay. Of course, if the magical year continues, I'd stay the course, and not mortgage the future.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Steve Keim: Trades Considered, But With Young Team, "Have To Make Sense"
A win Sunday would do more than just push the Cardinals improbably over .500 this season, given that it'd be a victory against a good Saints team on the road. But it will not impact what the Cardinals do prior to Tuesday's trade deadline, GM Steve Keim said Friday morning.

"We'll look at every opportunity regardless," Keim said during an appearance on the "Doug and Wolf" show on 98.7, Arizona's Sports Station. "To build a healthy roster, you have to think about all the things, whether it's mortgaging the future, the financial ramifications, where you are from a cap standpoint. We will look at the opportunity regardless, we'll look into making some trades, and they have to make sense for us.

"But again, we have a young core we are excited about, and we know we have a bright future, so we have to be smart about the decisions we make."
https://www.azcardinals.com/news/steve-keim-trades-considered-but-with-young-team-have-to-make-sense

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I’d do it in a heartbeat but for nothing more than a #2. His last year of injuries are indeed a concern though

But as I previously said I think the cap keeps us from making that move

His age is not a draw back to me at this juncture because the long term success of a rookie QB happens during his first contract and getting him could cement Kyler's success in the future so he has growth now... you surround a young guy initially anyway you can

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
There are so many really good reasons to be attacking the trade market with a QB on a rookie contract which is probably why we won't touch it.