Possible goodbyes for the Cardinals after this week

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
If the team retains Hopkins, then Brown in all likelihood will want a contract extension for pretty big money. If Brown holds out, there is nothing opposite Hopkins at the #2 spot. If the team trades away Hopkins, then Brown will surely demand a new contract since Hopkins is no longer here and will certainly hold out until he gets one. Either way Brown is going to be looking for more money and has the leverage at this point.

So the question becomes which would you rather have, an over paid Hopkins or Brown who will want close to #1 money.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, this team's not paying Nuke 30 mill next year.

The other option is paying him $22m not to be here. So not much difference.

If he wants to go and someone offers a trade worth eating $22m in cap then sure. I imagine they will take it. But that's a big if.

Really all depends on if there is a new HC. If Payton is here I expect him to stay.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
If the team retains Hopkins, then Brown in all likelihood will want a contract extension for pretty big money. If Brown holds out, there is nothing opposite Hopkins at the #2 spot. If the team trades away Hopkins, then Brown will surely demand a new contract since Hopkins is no longer here and will certainly hold out until he gets one. Either way Brown is going to be looking for more money and has the leverage at this point.

So the question becomes which would you rather have, an over paid Hopkins or Brown who will want close to #1 money.
It's an easy choice, but the Cards will surely make the wrong one!

Cardinal88

Veteran
Reaction score
DHops contract was structured to force Cardinals to renegotiate. So, resigning to a $45-$48m 3 year contract with his 2023 cap hit as a guarantee $30.750m) as his bonus seems reasonable. This will free up money to renegotiate an extension for Brown so between the two, we should actually be able to lower our cap hit for 2023. Maybe add 4 years $60m to his current deal with guaranteed money.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Players I expect to be gone besides the FA's.

Golden
Gardeck
Hudson
Dimukeje
Anderson (Obvs)

These give us around $24m more in cap space. $12m for Anderson and $12m for the rest. Give or take.

We already have Golden, Gardeck and Dimukeje replacements on the roster and I expect they will bring in a vet and draft and Edge. Maybe Gardeck takes a new deal to stick around as just an ST's and occasional role player.

I would let all the following walk - Green, Prater, Ford, Vallejo, Vigil, Lee, Williams, Anderson, Garcia, Neimann, Harlow, and McSorley.

I would resign Pharoah Cooper, Beachum (he's a valuable, cheap swing tackle), Allen, Pugh, Zeke Turner, Brewer, Hill, Hernandez, Hamilton, Banjo, Grugier-Hill, Maxx Williams (only for vet min), Blough and Billy Price (as a backup).

I'm not sure Pugh retires. It's possible but I'm not sure he would want to go out like he has. I think it will depend on a new coach and how his rehab goes. I think he would have announced it already if it was decided.

I'm not sure what to do about Byron Murphy Jr. I'll be honest, I'm very meh on him. I think a lot of fans are massively bullish on him because he was the #33 pick and they want him to be good, and he has spells. But statistically he's very JAGish. He's had one season (last year) where he's given up a below average passer rating.

He's a guy I'd like to keep around but I don't think he's worth top end money. For me he's a $13m tops guys.

He's a Rock Ya-Sin level guy, who funilly enough was the pick after Murphy in the same draft. Statistically very similar too. OTC has his value at $10m per year (they don't have one for Murphy).

Last edited:

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Downgrading from Nuk to Brown seems stupid if it costs us the same money. And I expect it to cost us roughly the same money, but Nuk may be a shorter commitment.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The other option is paying him $22m not to be here. So not much difference.

If he wants to go and someone offers a trade worth eating $22m in cap then sure. I imagine they will take it. But that's a big if.

Really all depends on if there is a new HC. If Payton is here I expect him to stay.

I'm for trade and taking the bite, but they can restructure DHop's deal and put off the comeuppance.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Downgrading from Nuk to Brown seems stupid if it costs us the same money. And I expect it to cost us roughly the same money, but Nuk may be a shorter commitment.

Nuk is getting paid $30m next year vs $13m for Brown.

The year after Nuk gets $26m. The only way Brown gets that is if he has a 1400 yard, 10 TD season next year.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Hollywood's deal would come under, in all probability, the cost of his fifth-year option in year one of a new agreement.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm for trade and taking the bite, but they can restructure DHop's deal and put off the comeuppance.

Same but not because of money but because he's a valuable asset we can't utilise next year and it's better to recoup and go younger.

If they can get a high pick or equiv package then for sure.

Any team trading for him would only pay $20m next year and $15m the year after.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Players I expect to be gone besides the FA's.

Golden
Gardeck
Hudson
Dimukeje
Anderson (Obvs)

These give us around $24m more in cap space. $12m for Anderson and $12m for the rest. Give or take.

We already have Golden, Gardeck and Dimukeje replacements on the roster and I expect they will bring in a vet and draft and Edge. Maybe Gardeck takes a new deal to stick around as just an ST's and occasional role player.

I would let all the following walk - Green, Prater, Ford, Vallejo, Vigil, Lee, Williams, Anderson, Garcia, Neimann, Harlow, and McSorley.

I would resign Pharoah Cooper, Beachum (he's a valuable, cheap swing tackle), Allen, Pugh, Zeke Turner, Brewer, Hill, Hernandez, Hamilton, Banjo, Grugier-Hill, Maxx Williams (only for vet min), Blough and Billy Price (as a backup).

I'm not sure Pugh retires. It's possible but I'm not sure he would want to go out like he has. I think it will depend on a new coach and how his rehab goes. I think he would have announced it already if it was decided.

I'm not sure what to do about Byron Murphy Jr. I'll be honest, I'm very meh on him. I think a lot of fans are massively bullish on him because he was the #33 pick and they want him to be good, and he has spells. But statistically he's very JAGish. He's had one season (last year) where he's given up a below average passer rating.

He's a guy I'd like to keep around but I don't think he's worth top end money. For me he's a $13m tops guys.

He's a Rock Ya-Sin level guy, who funilly enough was the pick after Murphy in the same draft. Statistically very similar too. OTC has his value at $10m per year (they don't have one for Murphy).

Agree, generally, but I think Pugh has had it unless he's money whipped, and he won't be.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Same but not because of money but because he's a valuable asset we can't utilise next year and it's better to recoup and go younger.

If they can get a high pick or equiv package then for sure.

Any team trading for him would only pay $20m next year and $15m the year after.

I think DHop would negotiate a new deal with 'whomever' and get himself some added guaranteed money.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oh and I think McCoy sticks around. I think had he stayed healthy and played 5-6 games he may have hung them up, but as it is I think the lure of those first games Kyler will miss will be too much for a guy hungry to play as many as possible while he can.

OP
OP
Goodyear Card

Goodyear Card

Link Guy
Reaction score
Brown does not deserve a new contract. He had one good year with the Ravens and has been hurt this year. We have to stop giving big contracts to players who have had one good year. He is not a #1 receiver. Let him play out his contract and then if he has a good year, we can them give a new contract.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Brown does not deserve a new contract. He had one good year with the Ravens and has been hurt this year. We have to stop giving big contracts to players who have had one good year. He is not a #1 receiver. Let him play out his contract and then if he has a good year, we can them give a new contract.
Agreed 1000% Goodyear. Unforunately the perception rather than reality drives the narrative these days in the NFL. The smart teams see beyond the smoke and mirrors and make the decisions in the best interest of the team. Had we drafted better, we wouldn't be in a position of weakness as far as negotiations. I think that Hollywood and his agent feel they have the upper hand on us. Especially if 10 leaves. Ugh....

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

For sure I wouldn't be extending him this year.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agreed 1000% Goodyear. Unforunately the perception rather than reality drives the narrative these days in the NFL. The smart teams see beyond the smoke and mirrors and make the decisions in the best interest of the team. Had we drafted better, we wouldn't be in a position of weakness as far as negotiations. I think that Hollywood and his agent feel they have the upper hand on us. Especially if 10 leaves. Ugh....

I don't see how they have a upper hand. I'm happy for Brown to walk and get a 3rd round comp back if needs be.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So a 2-year rental for our #1? Ugh.
I get you. But unfortunately this team is going to be dealing with past mistakes for a while. As far as Brown I would not be giving him a new contract .
He will be pissed because odds are he will not have a great statistical year in 2023 without Murray. A lot will depend on who our head coach is. If Kingsbury is still here then I think Hopkins gets an extension.

I just believe Bidwill will not tear this thing down to the bones. The next head coach and the fans want a chance to compete. If things go south there could be a lot happening at the trade deadline, which should have happened this year.

Unfortunately this organization believe they were in a position to compete. We could have traded Hopkins and Watt to desperate teams that were in the hunt and stocked up on some draft picks. Instead we are waving goodbye to Watts and wondering what the hell to do with Hopkins while barreling our way to a 4-13 season.

What a horse**** organization.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
With his missed time I think Murphy will get a one year prove it deal for 10 million including play time incentives

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't see how they have a upper hand. I'm happy for Brown to walk and get a 3rd round comp back if needs be.
Not saying they DO, I believe his camp thinks they do. Hurt Rondale, frustrated Nuk, a cast of characters as pass catchers, heck, how could you not at least perceive that?