Possible Dem Candidates for Pres in 2020

Discussion in 'Politics and Religion' started by 82CardsGrad, Jul 19, 2018.

1. SunsTzu

SunsTzu Registered User

Getting more votes didn't help in 2016, it's about getting enough of the right kind of votes.

I just hope the DNC realizes that it's not about who's the best candidate but who's the most electable and that the candidates don't devour one another in the primaries. The thought that "anyone with a pulse" can win is what cost them the last election.

Ouchie-Z-Clown likes this.
  2. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

Except that "anyone with a pulse" was Hilary Clinton. That makes a difference.

3. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

Hilary Clinton does not have a pulse.

devilalum and LVG like this.
  4. carrrnuttt

carrrnuttt Didactic

Linderbee, TJ and Russ Smith like this.
  5. TJ

TJ Suge White

Either way, this field needs to be trimmed like yesterday

UncleChris likes this.
  6. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

Random thoughts on a few of the Democratic candidates in the debate tonight on CNN.

Mayor Pete Buttigieg is starting to win me over as the presidential candidate I could support after listening to him during the debate and post debate.

He is really a bright young man that realizes huge things can be done if Democrats seize the moment in the next election by not alienating voters by quibbling over every detail such as healthcare.

I especially like how he supports a public option for healthcare while realizing many with private plans want to keep it. He supports a lot of things Biden supports but he is better able to articulate his vision for the country. If everyone can get healthcare through a public option I'm don't think it's worth taking away private healthcare plans that some of negotiated with their employer. I think the public option will eventually prevail anyway.

Also I'd like to hear more from Amy Klobuchar. She seems to understand how to bring this country together appealing to a broader audience.

Elizabeth Warren was not able to provide specific answers as to how she can pay for her healthcare plan which I think will hurt her position.

I so like Bernie Sanders but his window of opportunity may be closing. The same with Joe Biden.

Cory Booker seemed to come to across to me mostly as, why can't we be friends.

Wish Kamala Harris was more charismatic.

If Andrew Yang wants to give me a thousand dollars a month I would take it.

LVG, MrYeahbut and Rivercard like this.
  7. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

My thoughts, I agree Mayor Pete in some ways is similar to Biden but much better at this point at communicating it. I admit to at times being distracted last night but when Biden started talking about Capital Gains I got so lost I'm still not sure what he means? He started to say he'd "do away with Capital Gains tax, I mean I'd double it. People who are clipping coupons with stocks...", and at that point I turned to Lucy and said "what the hell is he trying to say is he for or against Capital Gains? Neither of us are actually sure. He had several other moments like that.

I love Harris but I don't think it's going to happen, I'd like to see her step aside and either continue to be a Senator or maybe be someone's VP. I think she could be a great POTUS, but I don't think she can win the Dem nomination to get the chance to run.

I continue to love Elizabeth Warren and frankly I came away a bit last night peeved at Klobuchar, Biden, Mayor Pete etc for essentially claiming Warren is not being honest because she doesn't want to say raise taxes. She's being entirely honest, it's not her fault if she's significantly smarter than the average voter and that's the point she's trying to make, stop focusing on will my taxes go up, and focus on will my COSTS go up or down. Under her plan she's saying your costs will go down, yes you might pay more in taxes but you'll pay less for other things, medical, prescriptions etc will go down and offset the taxes. They keep trying to say she's ducking the question, she's not, she's simply refusing to let THEM phrase the question in a way that's misleading. I'm not entirely sure her plan is totally feasible mind you but she's not hiding the costs of it they're simply choosing to focus on taxes because they know that's what the average voter focuses on.

I can't put my finger on it but I think Beto has lost all momentum and should probably again bow out and help somewhere else. I don't think he got equal time but I think Steyer was pretty bad last night, he just came off as if he was reading off a script.

McCain was everyone's best friend last night towards the end there, not saying they weren't actually friends with him I know many of them were but that's the problem with a debate like that with that many people and answering the same question, after 2-3 people have used him it doesn't come off well if you use him too.

Klobuchar to me is qualified but came off as almost angry last night. I get that they now perceive Warren as the front runner so they're going after her but she kept saying "that doesn't mean your idea is the only one" and I wanted to scream at the tv what do you expect her to do but tout HER idea? Do you really think she's going to tout someone else's idea? If her idea isn't the best one explain why yours is better, don't just bash her idea and then say my idea is better but not really explain why.

Ouchie-Z-Clown likes this.
  8. Russ Smith

An example on Warren and the costs. When I was car shopping back in May it was driving me nuts how many places would tout "this hybrid SUV will save you thousands on gas" but when you did the actual math the MPG was just marginal and yet the vehicle cost 10K more than the non hybrid version. I think it was Toyota that clearly had figured this out so the Hybrid version also had a higher tow capacity I think it was 5000 pounds where the non hybrid was only 3500. When I would talk to sales guys they'd focus on the MPG and when I explained I'm concerned about the total cost, if it's going to take me 10 years to make back the extra price with gas savings that is not necessarily a good deal, they'd look at me like hey that's not fair.

that's what Warren is doing with costs instead of taxes she's focusing on the real impact, the total impact not just the most obvious one.

9. Russ Smith

This is the Biden comment about Capital Gains I mentioned, and it's all over the internet today as people use it as the latest example of Joe falling over his own words.

"Demonizing wealth ... I talked about how you get things done. The way to get things done is take a look at the tax code right now. The idea, we have to start rewarding work, not just wealth. I would eliminate the capital gains tax," Biden said, before immediately changing his tune. "I would raise the capital gains tax to the highest rate of 39.5%. I would double it, because, guess what? Why in God’s name should someone who is clipping coupons in the stock market make, in fact, pay a lower tax rate than someone who in fact is, like I said, who is a school teacher and a firefighter?"

So he's in favor of raising the Capital Gains tax, which I am actually ok with I just wish he was able to articulate it better than he does.

10. LoyaltyisaCurse

LoyaltyisaCurse IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...

My take away was there are too many candidates at this point. It was hard to focus on their closing arguments ( stupid question, by the way) and most of their positions are so similar that it felt like they were debating whether they like their waffles served with syrup on top or on the side.

• Yang is a smart dude, but he ain’t ready for prime time. He should run for mayor or city council.
    • Tom Steyer just sounded like he was shooting his television ads the whole time.
    • Tulsi is a real piece of work. By the way, did she mentioned she was in the military?
    • Biden should limit all of his answers to 30 seconds, anything past that point his engine starts to sputter.
    • Booker had some good answers and I really like him, but he seemed more like a spectator last night.
    • Klobuchar would make a good VP. She’s trying too hard to play the, “but I’m from the Midwest...” angle.
    • Harris is formidable, but she acts and talks like a prosecutor and that is going to turn off a lot of voters, unfortunately.
    • Buttigieg is savvy and smart, but also trying too hard to play up the Midwest angle, but it’s more subtle than Klobuchar.
    • Sanders is just replaying everything from 2016
    • Castro is better suited for Congress or a cabinet position. He simply isn’t likable enough to carry the ticket.
    • Beto, I really like him but he is just not ready for prime time. He should run for Senate.
    • Warren is clear front runner. Contrary to many of the assessments online and in the media I think she handled the attacks pretty well overall.

In the end, I don’t think this debate moved any needles up or down and there’s very little chance we’re going to see any significant difference in the polling. They have to pare this down to five at minimum.

I think the DNC really needs to talk to the networks about the focus of the questions. I’m not saying that they should dictate it to the networks, but I think they should insist they are actually asking impact questions giving candidates time to focus on how what they’re going to do is truly going to impact voters. The questions were weak and I’m very disappointed CNN decided to breathe life into all the lies that Trump voices out there. Just because Trump pulls something out of his ass doesn’t mean it’s legitimate or that it’s a legitimate topic to discuss.

EDIT: As stated above, they need to immediately pare this down to 5 candidates moving forward. My Final 5 (not ranked in order of preference): Biden, Bernie, Warren, Harris, Buttigieg.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    MrYeahbut and Russ Smith like this.
  11. Russ Smith

I also thought it was great when one of the CNN folks sort of reminded Gabbard we ask the questions not you because she kept trying to say I'd like to ask Senator Warren this. She even addressed being called an agent for the Republicans, she has to get why that is being said. In the first debate she kept going after Biden and other Dems, in this one it was Warren. It may just be her strategy but it sure looks like someone said ok Warren is the front runner now get her forget about Biden.

they need to thin the herd considerably. Put some of these folks in the Senate etc.

LoyaltyisaCurse likes this.
  12. Ouchie-Z-Clown

While technically he said two different things they aren’t entirely inconsistent. What he meant to say was I’ll eliminate the advantageous treatment of the capital gains rate by moving it to the highest bracket. But he didn’t do a great job of verbalizing that.

And he’s totally right on that point. while as a nation we should be encouraging saving and investing for retirement, we should be prioritizing work over investing. I’d rather lower income tax rates for middle class and lower tax brackets and offset it with raising capital gains rate on wealthier individuals. And understand I don’t benefit from the lowering income tax rates and would be hurt by raising capital gains rate. This would be a no-win proposition for me, personally. But conceptually it makes mire sense for the country.

Matt L likes this.
  13. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Agreed. It’s time to focus.

14. Russ Smith

Right I agree with his point but he's so bad at actually spitting it out it gets lost in the shuffle. I still don't know where the clipping coupons in the stock market means they're almost polar opposites, people that clip coupons probably aren't all that heavily invested in stocks(beyond their 401K).

I also think it's clear some of the people on the stage either don't understand or just want to play dumb when Warren talks about the wealth tax. The well it's not fair to tax someone who's making money in investing is forgetting that's the biggest source of income for the wealthy. Biden keeps acting like he disagrees with Warren when they're talking about the same thing. he is just calling it Capital gains tax and she's calling it a wealth tax. I have to assume Biden knows this. Others clearly seem to but just like the raise taxes thing they're trying to paint her into a corner so she says "raise capital gains" instead of just letting her explain what she's actually doing. Lots of people don't really understand what Capital gains means, but when she says the super wealthy make most of their money in interest off their money, they understand that. She's not trying to deceptive IMO she's putting it in laymans terms.

I thought she was wrong about job losses and the fact checkers seem to agree, more jobs lost to automation than trade policy she said the opposite, but in general I think the Warren is being deceptive claims are just people trying to mislead us.

15. DWKB

DWKB Registered

You all watch, Mayor Pete is going to win the Iowa Caucus and ish is going to be cray cray.