Popularity of Wildcats vs. Sun Devils in Phoenix?

twill

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I’m going to be moving to Phoenix in a couple of months and am curious about the city’s college sports landscape.

This might seem like a silly question, given that ASU is in the city’s backyard and UofA is a couple of hours away in Tucson; however, I’ve heard that there are plenty of UofA alumni in Phoenix, and that the UofA operates a medical school in Phoenix. Moreoever, I was reading about the UofA taking out a billboard by Sky Harbor International declaring Phoenix as “Wildcat country”. So it seems like the UofA’s presence expands well beyond Tucson’s borders.

What I’m wondering is whether the Wildcat’s presence in Phoenix is strong enough to rival (or even exceed) the popularity of the geographically “local” college team (the Sun Devils). Do you see lots of Wildcats gear in Phoenix, and if so, does it rival (or exceed) the amount of Sun Devils gear you see in the city? As a result of the presence of the university and its alumni in the city, do the Wildcats have enough of a fanbase in Phoenix to be seen as a “local team” (despite being located in a different city a couple of hours away)?

Thanks, and I’m looking forward to making Phoenix my home in a couple of months!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson