POLL: Sean Payton in 2023 (Officially Going to Denver)

Should Cardinals pursue Sean Payton after the season?

• Yes

Votes: 175 85.0%
  • No

Votes: 31 15.0%

• Total voters

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Nah, whatever the snag was at Mile High, Payton's interview did not go well because there was friction and Payton is just playing damage control by what was getting out. Only stating this because there was a response from a former player still close to the team unnamed and some other source close to the Broncos which again stated the interview did not go well after Payton made those tweets
it was the second interview that didnt go well... the one payton canceled on them to visit AZ...

denver just dont wanna be the bitch the got dumped on prom night

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Ok, so Cards stay at #3 and don't get Payton...Draft Anderson, who may, or may not turn out great under the coaching of Vance Joseph...then we hope and pray in 3-4 years the Cards fire Vance and finally get a good HC?

The team has evidently improved if Vance is still the H-C 3-4 years down the road.

Bottom line: The Saints don't reasonably expect the #3, and the Cards won't give up this premium position. So it comes down to a later pick(s) in this draft and something in 2024 at best.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Do you trust Mike to find a Kyle Shannahan type? Or is he likely to just hire the Flores and Vance's of the world.
I mean, I’m not high on Flores, but it’s disrespectful to compare him to Vance.

I don’t trust him to do that, but if he did, he wouldn’t have to trade steep comp for it. It has happened infinite times already.

He didn’t need to trade comp for Arians.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Do you trust Mike to find a Kyle Shannahan type? Or is he likely to just hire the Flores and Vance's of the world.

I'd expect our new GM and AGM to have solid intel on the upcoming, creative offensive and defensive minds that could support a Flores or Vance whose primary duties would be to manage the team writ large.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

I don’t trust him to do that, but if he did, he wouldn’t have to trade steep comp for it. It has happened infinite times already.

Arians seemed like a far better option than the other non Payton options this year.

Again I dont want to give up the 3rd pick. However, Im all for getting creative to get this done. When you've got the guy what you gave up doesnt matter as much in the long run.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Arians seemed like a far better option than the other non Payton options this year.
Are we using hindsight?
Again I dont want to give up the 3rd pick. However, Im all for getting creative to get this done. When you've got the guy what you gave up doesnt matter as much in the long run.
Im not giving up any first or second round picks for Payton. This roster is way too flawed to where I don’t think even Payton will get us to serious contention for the next 3 years.

To reiterate, all those coaches you compared players to, none of them had to cost steep comp. Payton himself didn’t cost steep comp going to the Saints. Remember that.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So the 70% back to Fox statement is 3 weeks old...from Jan 8th.

Payton has handled this cycle so weirdly. How could he say 70% just as the window opened and before he met anyone?

Dudes been acting like the Husband dragged around the Mall.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Payton has handled this cycle so weirdly. How could he say 70% just as the window opened and before he met anyone?

He was asked by Strahan on set and live TV. He's not gonna crap in the hand that's feeding him in that moment.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He was asked by Strahan on set and live TV. He's not gonna crap in the hand that's feeding him in that moment.

He could just say its early days and hard to know. But it's not just this one instance. Been a weirdly reluctant cycle from him.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

But it was well known before the cycle even started that SP wanted to stay in the southwest. With the two Los Angeles teams being preferred.

That kinda indicates LA, Phoenix, and maybe Vegas, were the only options.
Dallas got tossed around by the media because of ties from decades ago... but the simple fact is, if SP wanted to stay on the gulf coact he could just go back to NO.
he wants to be in the southwest... Denver and Carolina never had a chance, were never in the running, and were only acknowledged with an interview for leverage and as a professional courtesy.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Are we using hindsight?

Im not giving up any first or second round picks for Payton. This roster is way too flawed to where I don’t think even Payton will get us to serious contention for the next 3 years.

To reiterate, all those coaches you compared players to, none of them had to cost steep comp. Payton himself didn’t cost steep comp going to the Saints. Remember that.
Arians was looked at as Arizona settling for the worst candidate that year. Even the Bears left him at the altar.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You think 1 player is worth more than a HC?

BTW, that trade with Raiders could very well happen without Payton…no guarantees 7 will be that impactful.
Depends on head coach. I’d do everything in my power to make it 2024 1st. Netting Payton and Anderson would be an offseason of legend (for cards fans).

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
With the right coach.

We've already witnessed, for 4 years, what happens when you pair a top draft pick with the wrong HC.
Those guys weren’t the prospect that Anderson is. I knew Anderson was the top pick in this draft last year.

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be a nice change of pace if the cardinals became relevant? More talk of OC, DC, and other assistants getting interviewed and hired and almost nothing except they WON'T hire Payton. Oh, and won consistently.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't believe this is the issue. The Saints leverage goes even lower if Payton goes back to the booth for a year.

That was then. And now is now.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The cook should have say in his ingredients.
If payton tells MooS, i need a pass rusher...that dont mean a 6th round pick or a 10 year vet who has averaged 3 sacks a season.

Wasn't this Bill Parcels point of view with the Crowboys? I seem to remember him saying... If I'm going to cook the meal, I should be able to have a say so in buying the groceries.