POLL: Sean Payton in 2023 (Officially Going to Denver)

Should Cardinals pursue Sean Payton after the season?

• Yes

Votes: 175 85.0%
  • No

Votes: 31 15.0%

• Total voters

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If Payton gets hired, I doubt Keim will still be here.
Lol Mike will make it seem like it was all Kliff's fault. Believe that. Whether Payton buys it? Idk.
I totally forgot about this.

I’ve seen people Payton wouldn’t want to be in a division with Mahomes. Hell, it’s just not him. You have to worry about Josh Allen, Joe Burrow, Lamar, Tua, Watson the predator, maybe Trevor Lawrence, possibly Bryce Young.

NFC is what? Dak, Jalen? Possibly Fields? Maybe Trey Lance?
You're making sense. You're also making it so Payton might want to deal with Tepper than Bidwill as well though.

That Panthers job could be sneaky good. Weaker division as well.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

I’ve seen people Payton wouldn’t want to be in a division with Mahomes. Hell, it’s just not him. You have to worry about Josh Allen, Joe Burrow, Lamar, Tua, Watson the predator, maybe Trevor Lawrence, possibly Bryce Young.

A much tougher path in the AFC. From a QB standpoint the NFC is garbage.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Lol Mike will make it seem like it was all Kliff's fault. Believe that. Whether Payton buys it? Idk.

You're making sense. You're also making it so Payton might want to deal with Tepper than Bidwill as well though.

That Panthers job could be sneaky good. Weaker division as well.
True but some guys hate dealing with rookie QBs.

OP
OP
Totally_Red

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
If I am Payton...I look at AZ like I need to shore up the OL and get more talent at RB and my QB is fixed (in his mind).

Defense has some young players to work with and just needs more talent to fit my DC scheme.
One thing about Payton. The O-line will be upgraded. He always had good lines in New Orleans. Outside of Humphreys he'd likely have four new starters by year 2.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Trey Lance? Should there be an emoji after this name? :cheers:
:lmao::wink2:, according to most people on here.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't see anyone giving a high pick for a HC with retirement on his mind that just retired once not long ago. If Payton was 55 years old and hadn't retired last year then yes, maybe so.

But that risk devalues any trade which was probably why BA only went for a 6th.

Plus he gave the Saints 15 years. I don't see them screwing him over by demanding a high pick.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I do like Sean Payton the person from what I am privy as a fan to know about him, but I also do not like me being a Cardinal fan which lives in perpetual misery and do believe he can win a Super Bowl, so yeah, I hope we get him as our coach

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
While this is true, there’s other factors you have to account for.

- Would Payton rather live in LA or Phoenix?

- Which organization will give him more control?

- Mahomes vs Shanahan factor. I think McVay & Donald will be retiring soon. Carroll is getting older.

- Fetish for short QBs? lol
California taxes are ridiculous too. That gives us a little edge

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I looked up Sean Paytons play calls and verbiage and came up with this.

I just don't see any way Kyler could run this offense after running plays with names like 66H and Chrome his whole career.

He's not handling all the pre snap stuff well now. Can you imagine him trying to handle these plays?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I've said it many times: There's a non zero risk that you bring in a head coach who decides quickly that he's not going to be able to work with Kyler Murray. Maybe that risk increases substantially if you bring in an established head coach with a big reputation.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I've said it many times: There's a non zero risk that you bring in a head coach who decides quickly that he's not going to be able to work with Kyler Murray. Maybe that risk increases substantially if you bring in an established head coach with a big reputation.
I believe this is the only way you can sell the fanbase that it isn't the organization's fault. You have to bring in someone so competent that if they move off Kyler, the fans believe the team made the correct choice. (easier said than done however)

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I wouldn't be shocked to see the team make a run at David Shaw. He is still young and commands a great deal of respect. I don't know that it would work, but he has the reputation of a "leader of men" and a solid communicator.

This would probably be in the world of firing Keim, Kliff and promoting a GM from within.

Again, not saying I love or hate this, but I feel like it will be considered.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I dont think money is the challenge to bring Payton to the Cards

its the discomfort to Mike B in bringing in an outsider to run the FO

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
yes, but if Payton believed that today he (supposedly) wouldnt have made his interest know. Any candidate walking in saying "get rid of Kyler" eliminates himself.

K1's contract pretty much makes 2023 and 2024 mandatory. His play will make it clear to the fan base that he is or isn't the answer.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wouldn't be shocked to see the team make a run at David Shaw. He is still young and commands a great deal of respect. I don't know that it would work, but he has the reputation of a "leader of men" and a solid communicator.

This would probably be in the world of firing Keim, Kliff and promoting a GM from within.

Again, not saying I love or hate this, but I feel like it will be considered.
I would hate this.

David Shaw coaches football like it’s still the 1970s.

I actually think he said he doesn’t wanna coach professional football too though I could be wrong.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I would hate this.

David Shaw coaches football like it’s still the 1970s.

I actually think he said he doesn’t wanna coach professional football too though I could be wrong.
I agree. I think he resigned from Stanford to step away from coaching for a while but I expect he will still get some calls.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose