Votes: 3 17.6%
  • It wouldn't work

Votes: 5 29.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wally

Registered
Reaction score
OK, I think I figured this out on posting a poll. If this doesn't work perhaps someone more experienced can help me out with a poll request.

Just following up on my pervios post concerning bad or no-calls by the officials.

Should the NBA have a replay system?

My view - the current system is a joke and should not even be mentioned as a system. How about allowing 4 requests per game for each team?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Wouldn't work. Just too much logistics, and the refs are under enough pressure as it is.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I went for "wouldn't work" as well. I appreciate the desire to have something, but basketball is too fast paced a game to stop play everytime a questionable call is made. Heck, I can almost sympathize with a lot (not all) of bad calls, because of how quick the game moves.

A replay system would bog down the game so mch it would be excrutiating to watch. A lot of players play best in the flow of a game as well. I could see oaches start using the replay to disrupt a team on a run, rather than watse a time out, and that doesnt sem fair.

What the league needs to do is start making the refs culpable for poor performances, not keep their discipline guarded in secrecy and start openily saying that they need to improve.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
It would add to much time to the game. I mean a replay would take probably 5 minutes to do from the getting an officials attention that you want one to resuming play. That is a total of 40 extra minutes. Also, this isn't football where there is a break in between plays. In theory they could review a call to see if it was a bad call, but there is no way that a no call could be reviewed.

Refs will make bad calls, as a fan it is frustrating, but it happens. Now I do agree that some of them happen to much. I think that the younger officials right now are trying to establish their presence, and make it felt near the end of games. I still think that a public notice of repremands, or agreence of bad calls is needed. Something to put the officials in a bad spotlight if need be. I vaguely remember a quote from the NFL commish after that messed up field goal call. He was asked what will happen to the official, his response was something along the lines of "Well, he wont be working the super bowl, I can tell you that"

It is all about accountability right now, and the officials have none to speak of. Replays won't help.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Originally posted by schutd

What the league needs to do is start making the refs culpable for poor performances, not keep their discipline guarded in secrecy and start openily saying that they need to improve.

Exactly.

The problem is not that officials aren't making the calls on purpose, it's mostly because they are incompetent. If you're going to make a call, you better make the same call for the opposite team. I'm sick and tired of watching uneven officiating--which has steadily increased over the past several yaers. Unfortunately, instant replay won't help.

And what about no calls? Does a coach just stop a game and say, "hey, my guy was fouled there and you didn't call anything--let's take that to replay!"?

So replay could ONLY be used if there is a stoppage in play--mainly only if a foul is called. IMO, that makes the officiating even MORE uneven.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
I dont know what you guys are complaining about. Bogging down the game, making it too long? What? Why not just do what the NFL does, but modify it slightly?

Simple: Each coach is allowed one replay per game. Any play of their choice. Also, a member from each team is allowed one replay per game. Again, any play of their choice. The replay MUST BE REQUESTED within 2 seconds of the inbound, or IMMEDIATELY after a turnover. (This prevents the opposing team from throwing the ball in right away to avoid a request. The NFL's weakness.)

So its very easy. The coach gets one request, and ONE player gets a request. That makes a maximum of 4 replays per game, making the game probably 2-3 minutes "longer" This would also prevent teams from abusing the replay and only using it when absolutely neccesary. (IE: late game situations.)

:)

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
No thanks. In the NFL, a replay might cost a team 3 or 6 points. In basketball, it might affect 2 or 3 points. In football, a point has a lot more worth than in basketball.

It's not worth stopping an NBA game four times, let alone twice.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
I see your point, and your point made me almost lean towards not having replay. But when time and time again officials blow calls late in the game I think something needs to be done about it. Hell, even ONE allowed replay per game is better than nothing. Dont you think Andre Miller would have loved to have made the officials notice the fact that he DID NOT STEP OVER THE LINE?

What if Houston beats out Phoenix by one game, and Phoenix doesnt make the playoffs? You can look back to the Clippers game. If the officials werent idiots then Phoenix would be in the playoffs, not Houston.

Im happy with even one reviewable play per team. But two would be better. Hell, its better than watching these "officials" blow game after game.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I agree, it would be nice to revisit some of these things. But again, I think the logistics are just crazy.

I think it all begins with the incompetance of the officials. They need better training or something--and they definitely need more stringent penalties. If a ref makes a bad call, he just shrugs and says, "my bad, I'll try better next time." But if, say, he's threatened with a fine or something for every bad call, maybe they'd be more able to notice the right calls.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
I agree, if they dont go with a replay system...then for the love of God hire some competant officials. But at this point, a replay system (a very strict one mind you) is better than what we have right now.

OP
OP
W

Wally

Registered
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chaplin
No thanks. In the NFL, a replay might cost a team 3 or 6 points. In basketball, it might affect 2 or 3 points. In football, a point has a lot more worth than in basketball.

It's not worth stopping an NBA game four times, let alone twice.

Give me a break!!!!!

When a coach or player KNOWS they had a terrible call against them they end up with a technical foul and that is something that slows the game more than a replay would. If the number of replays were limited, we're not talking any more time and we may raise the level of officiating a little bit because the officials may be less prone to favoritism.

If replays are not allowed, then there should be a better system to hold the officials accountable for bad or no calls - especially on ones that decide the outcome of a game.

I know the officials have a tough job, but I believe a replay system could make it a lot easier on them also.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Originally posted by Wally
Give me a break!!!!!

It still wouldn't work.

A technical at least gives the other team a free throw. What are you going to do for replays--if it doesn't overturn, are you going to award the other team? Shyeah!

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Wally, why did you post a poll? To find out whether people agree with you -- which evidently they don't -- or to win converts?

OP
OP
W

Wally

Registered
Reaction score
Originally posted by elindholm
Wally, why did you post a poll? To find out whether people agree with you -- which evidently they don't -- or to win converts?

What kind of question is this????

A poll is simply a way to find out whether the majority of people concerned or interested in an issue want something or not……. Comments on a poll like this also help some of us to express our views about a situation that concerns the possibility of improving a game that we all love. Not all people are going to agree with me, but so far, some have & some have not. I can live with that, no problem! This type of question makes me wonder
:mad:

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
How about this.......you can have as many replays as you want, but it will cost you a full timeout every time you want to use one. Also, replays in the last 4 minutes of the game are determined by nba officials in a control room where they watch the game on tv and have the benefit of instant replays. Officials have the entire timeout period to determine the correct call.

This makes more sense to me because I was thinking that if a team runs out of timeouts and wants to stop the momentum of the other team then they could demand a replay to give them some time to regroup. This way if they don't have a timeout then their out of luck unless it's the last 4 minutes of the game where they can't call a replay if they wanted to.

fordronken

Reaction score
I agree, if they dont go with a replay system...then for the love of God hire some competant officials.

Give me a break. This is a ridiculously tough job. The fact that they get as many calls right as they do is astounding to me. These are actual people playing games, and in these situations there are human errors. Sometimes they go some ways and sometimes others. I do have a problem with refs "favoring" teams, but replay won't fix it.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Originally posted by fordronken
Give me a break. This is a ridiculously tough job. The fact that they get as many calls right as they do is astounding to me. These are actual people playing games, and in these situations there are human errors. Sometimes they go some ways and sometimes others. I do have a problem with refs "favoring" teams, but replay won't fix it.

My main concern where replays would be necessary is when technical fouls are called for arguing bad or non-calls. If the official could do his job in the 1st place then players wouldn't complain and we wouldn't need replay.

I still have no idea how these refs decide what is a foul and what isn't a foul or how much contact is enough to make the call. Stephon & Amare get bumped, have their arms slapped down on, hit in the face/head, etc on pretty much every attempt when they go to the basket yet the refs only call it a foul about 1/4 of the time. Sometimes that 1 time out of 4 is the time the foul was the weakest of the group. The refs are obviously not getting the job done correctly and the league needs to do something about it. Replay could help the officials and if they were more concerned about the quality of the NBA game and less concerned about their ego's and superiority complexes then they would be in favor of replay.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Originally posted by fordronken

That's true, but how do you explain the obvious degrading of the officiating? 5 years ago, the officiating was better, and has slowly gotten worse each year. How do you explain that?

OP
OP
W

Wally

Registered
Reaction score
How about this:

The team that feels the call was wrong calls a timeout and asks for a review. If the review shows the call was incorrect, it is corrected and no timeout is charged. If the play stands, they loose the timeout.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
How about this:

The team that feels the call was wrong calls a timeout and asks for a review. If the review shows the call was incorrect, it is corrected and no timeout is charged. If the play stands, they loose the timeout.

Just like the NFL. Id still put in a 2 request limit though.

OP
OP
W

Wally

Registered
Reaction score
Originally posted by WastedFate
Just like the NFL. Id still put in a 2 request limit though.

Two requests are better than nothing and would limit the requests to game deciding bad calls, but NBA games are not NFL and I believe there are more bad calls in the NBA. How about a modified version such that after reviewing two calls that stand as called, then no more are allowed???

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Since the NBA is such a fast paced game I think it would hurt to have TOO many replays. But two is better than nothing.