Playoffs: Nuggets @ Suns Friday game thread 5-5-2023 - Game 3

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure who says he’s washed up but KD is clearly past his prime. He’s putting up impressive numbers because we only have two guys that can do anything right now.
Of course he isn't what he used to be. Denver has only 2 players to be worried about on defense. If they take one out, hold him 20 or under, they win in a blowout. And last night, they couldn't do it. Even on a bad shooting night for Durant, he still got 39.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No Bell was called for phantom fouls previously and basically got frustrated and said "if you are going to call a foul, here's a foul for you to call. "

There may be different versions, but here is how I saw it.

Kobe frequently got a free pass on drives when he would flick an elbow in Raja Bell's face. Finally, Raja had enough and took him down.

It was like he was telling the referees and Kobe, if the rules are not going to be enforced fairly, I will enforce my own rules... playground rules so to speak.

After that incident, I don't ever recall Kobe throwing an elbow towards Raja's face again.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Ayton is freaking dead to me after yesterday...if he drops 40 and 20 next game I'll be happy we won but he needs to be gone

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton is freaking dead to me after yesterday...if he drops 40 and 20 next game I'll be happy we won but he needs to be gone

I understand your frustration, but this is not like Robert Horry taking out Steve Nash or Antonio McDyess jilting the Suns.

Ayton will probably move on soon enough.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The enablers trying to justify the garbage play of this loafing cash checker would be hilarious if not sad. Indiana wanted this damaged goods and would give up a savvy hustling big man on a team friendly contract. Sabonis at 20m per sounds pretty good
If we could have gotten Sabonis, he would be here already.

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
Not at all suggesting Monty goes “nuclear,” though I have no doubt he wishes he could.
Contrary to several on this board, I believe Monty is a great coach is will do exactly what should be done to continue to give this team the best chance at winning.
But make no mistake, once the Suns are bounced from the post season, Ayton’s lazy ass will not be seen in a Suns uniform again…
This is the Silver Lining to the eventual exit from the play-offs. I dislike having to root for him, he is lazy and soft

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
A little bit off topic, but something that still burns me up about the Len draft was that Giannis went ten picks later. I have to wonder that if the Suns were still run by Jerry Colangelo and had the same excellent staff of scouts (Dick Percodani, etc.) as during the JC years, if we wouldn't have grabbed Giannis. He exactly fit the prospect type that we would have valued during the JC era - high upside developmental athlete who flew under the radar for various reasons. Makes you wonder.
And jerry was early to the looking at euros party.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, it isn't. It's common knowledge that it was rumored and it's common knowledge that at a minimum, one side or the other made a phone call about it, but that's it. And that's a world apart from being "on the table". Here's the meat of the article you referenced:

I reported at the trade deadline that there was communication between the Suns and the Pacers about something involving (Domantas) Sabonis and Ayton, and I wrote at the time they were just broad, exploratory (talks). Might have been one phone call,

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Monty has got to know his job is on the line yeah? I mean even with the pathetic bench play you have to try some of your shooters when know one can hit a damn bucket! TJ / Ross / Ish I mean anyone draw up some plays and get some guys a look and see what happens! You can’t play Lee and Payne 48 minutes for 2 points I mean seriously! Even Jock have him pop out for a couple 3s something! Good coaches make adjustments and try to find something when e dry thing is going to hell not just sit there and watch it fall apart! It’s infuriating watching him do nothing now multiple years in a row! Need new blood imo Monty great guy did some good things but he is NOT the guy to get us a ring…
Good job by Monty in this game. He saw the need for contributions from the bench and played experienced scorers. Great to see Ross and TJ out there helping out. He even called time outs when Denver had some momentum.

Also nice to see Durant not giving up but playing through a crap start. And Booker... Wow. Keep it going, young man!

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Our entire season was injury stricken yet we somehow managed to pull the 4th seed

Won in the first round (4-1) after dramatically switching up the roster right before the playoffs

Beat the best team in the west without CP3 (or Ayton for that matter) to keep our playoffs chances alive

Booker playing better playoff basketball than anyone since the great Michael Jordan himself

Me thinks Monty's job is quite safe, which is a very good thing, I could even see him getting an extension in the off-season to everyone's delight :)

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
People keep attacking those of us on the fire Monty bandwagon.

Monty did make some pretty crucial adjustments last game. Game 8 of the playoffs. He shouldn’t have to make those drastic of adjustments in game 3 of round 2.

And while I appreciate his tactics in-game in game 3, one game doesn’t absolve him of his terrible in game management we see 85% of the time.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
People keep attacking those of us on the fire Monty bandwagon.

Monty did make some pretty crucial adjustments last game. Game 8 of the playoffs. He shouldn’t have to make those drastic of adjustments in game 3 of round 2.

And while I appreciate his tactics in-game in game 3, one game doesn’t absolve him of his terrible in game management we see 85% of the time.

There's a big difference between attacking someone and disagreeing with their views on Monty's coaching. I haven't seen anyone personally attacking those calling for Monty's job so much as questioning their reasoning.

Last edited:

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
No, it isn't. It's common knowledge that it was rumored and it's common knowledge that at a minimum, one side or the other made a phone call about it, but that's it. And that's a world apart from being "on the table". Here's the meat of the article you referenced:

I reported at the trade deadline that there was communication between the Suns and the Pacers about something involving (Domantas) Sabonis and Ayton, and I wrote at the time they were just broad, exploratory (talks). Might have been one phone call,
PFFF - yeah OK - MGT outside of maybe Sarver dont want to extend him and then Indy is the only one to offer the restricted FA.... but it was "just a phone call"

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PFFF - yeah OK - MGT outside of maybe Sarver dont want to extend him and then Indy is the only one to offer the restricted FA.... but it was "just a phone call"
I quoted the guy who reported it from the article you posted, take it up with him. He said that maybe it was just a phone call, meaning he didn't know. And neither do we.

If I had to guess, we valued DA more than they did so when we asked for Sabonis and picks they said no. But it's just as possible that the Suns heard the rumors and called up to see what their offer might be and the Pacers said you'll get nothing and like it. And maybe the Pacers heard the rumors and called the Suns and then laughed when they heard our offer. We just don't know.