Playoffs: Nuggets @ Suns Friday game thread 5-5-2023 - Game 3

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They say a series doesn’t start until the first home loss by a team. Let’s hope all Denver did was hold court and the Suns can get 2 wins.

They can’t even afford to lose one of the next 2 games and it looks like we will be short handed to boot.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Monty has got to know his job is on the line yeah? I mean even with the pathetic bench play you have to try some of your shooters when know one can hit a damn bucket! TJ / Ross / Ish I mean anyone draw up some plays and get some guys a look and see what happens! You can’t play Lee and Payne 48 minutes for 2 points I mean seriously! Even Jock have him pop out for a couple 3s something! Good coaches make adjustments and try to find something when e dry thing is going to hell not just sit there and watch it fall apart! It’s infuriating watching him do nothing now multiple years in a row! Need new blood imo Monty great guy did some good things but he is NOT the guy to get us a ring…

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Monty has got to know his job is on the line yeah? I mean even with the pathetic bench play you have to try some of your shooters when know one can hit a damn bucket! TJ / Ross / Ish I mean anyone draw up some plays and get some guys a look and see what happens! You can’t play Lee and Payne 48 minutes for 2 points I mean seriously! Even Jock have him pop out for a couple 3s something! Good coaches make adjustments and try to find something when e dry thing is going to hell not just sit there and watch it fall apart! It’s infuriating watching him do nothing now multiple years in a row! Need new blood imo Monty great guy did some good things but he is NOT the guy to get us a ring…
If we don’t get out of this series, I don’t think you need to worry about Monty getting fired.

Justification aside.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I get more and more pissed the more I think about having only CP3 and Cam Payne at PG. Both are and have been completely unreliable and unavailable, and we did nothing to protect against the inevitable.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't think its fair to criticize monty williams' rotations last night. The Suns focus was clearly on fixing the defense and I thought they did a great job. They wanted to force Jokic to beat them. He shot pretty well, didn't get to the free throw line and only had 5 assists. I'd say their game plan succeeded. Murray and Porter didn't do anything and KCP didn't do much until things fell apart at the end.

If Ross or Warren had played I don't think their defense would've held up.

Their offense was really working well enough in the 3rd until Paul got hurt which I think is the reason they lost that game.

The Suns rotations focused on defense assuming that Booker, Ayton and Durant could carry the load on offense. Durant missed easy shots, Booker made some bad decisions in the first half and they stopped going to Ayton in the second half. If they fix those problems I think they have a solid game plan.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I get more and more pissed the more I think about having only CP3 and Cam Payne at PG. Both are and have been completely unreliable and unavailable, and we did nothing to protect against the inevitable.
It's crazy that Saben Lee isn't on the playoff roster. He was so valuable in helping the team turn things around right before Booker came back.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think its fair to criticize monty williams' rotations last night. The Suns focus was clearly on fixing the defense and I thought they did a great job. They wanted to force Jokic to beat them. He shot pretty well, didn't get to the free throw line and only had 5 assists. I'd say their game plan succeeded. Murray and Porter didn't do anything and KCP didn't do much until things fell apart at the end.

Their offense was really working well enough in the 3rd until Paul got hurt which I think is the reason they lost that game.

The Suns rotations focused on defense assuming that Booker, Ayton and Durant could carry the load on offense. Durant missed easy shots, Booker made some bad decisions in the first half and they stopped going to Ayton in the second half. If they fix those problems I think they have a solid game plan.
I do. Not having set rotations leading into the playoffs is gross negligence. If you can show me another coach still tinkering with his starting and bench rotations leading into R2 I would like to know. Keep in mind that Monty spent weeks leading up to R1 to solidify rotations only to toss it out game 1 in R1. I get he should tinker with the bench if the bench is not performing. The issue is, guys need stability in the starting rotation and off the bench to get used to playing with each other. It's been in constant flux....IN THE FREAKING PLAYOFFS.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I feel the same way. Plan went right; KD went cold.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I've been like a broken bell the past several seasons, ringing the alarm, hoping the Suns would hear me.

This is not complicated stuff. Waiving a player and adding Saban Lee may not have been the answer, but it would have helped.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been like a broken bell the past several seasons, ring the alarm, hoping the Suns would hear me.

This is not complicated stuff. Waiving a player and adding Saban Lee may not have been the answer, but it would have helped.
Yep. I know you were. I know I was begging the Suns to get help at the PF and PG spots.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do. Not having set rotations leading into the playoffs is gross negligence. If you can show me another coach still tinkering with his starting and bench rotations leading into R2 I would like to know. Keep in mind that Monty spent weeks leading up to R1 to solidify rotations only to toss it out game 1 in R1. I get he should tinker with the bench if the bench is not performing. The issue is, guys need stability in the starting rotation and off the bench to get used to playing with each other. It's been in constant flux....IN THE FREAKING PLAYOFFS.

Personally, I think Monty had a losing hand when it came to the roster. After the four starters, there was not much there at all.

I think Monty may be gone but whoever gave him this roster, needs to be gone as well.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally, I think Monty had a losing hand when it came to the roster. After the four starters, there was not much there at all.

I think Monty may be gone but whoever gave him this roster, needs to be gone as well.
There is some truth to this but we are not the only team in the playoffs. Many are dealing with injuries etc. Can you think of a team that has success in the playoffs still tinkering with their lineups or one that changed it Game 1 of the playoffs after spending weeks solidifying? I can't.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is some truth to this but we are not the only team in the playoffs. Many are dealing with injuries etc. Can you think of a team that has success in the playoffs still tinkering with their lineups or one that changed it Game 1 of the playoffs after spending weeks solidifying? I can't.

The difference is, the Suns simply do not have the talent to compete beyond Booker, Durant, Ayton and Paul.

Monty has been shuffling players looking for the answer.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The difference is, the Suns simply do not have the talent to compete beyond Booker, Durant, Ayton and Paul.

Monty has been shuffling players looking for the answer.
Are you saying we are the only team in the history of the playoffs to have a short bench or lack of talent beyond their starters? I think you are missing the point. I ask again, Can you think of a team that has success in the playoffs still tinkering with their lineups or one that changed it Game 1 of the playoffs after spending weeks solidifying? I can't.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you saying we are the only team in the history of the playoffs to have a short bench or lack of talent beyond their starters? I think you are missing the point. I ask again, Can you think of a team that has success in the playoffs still tinkering with their lineups or one that changed it Game 1 of the playoffs after spending weeks solidifying? I can't.

Look at the Suns roster after their top four players and tell me what you think. I have trouble finding a 5th starter.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
lol I don't want to piss you off even more but we'll probably end up seeing a whole lot of Shamet again if CP3 can't go

SeattleCardinal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yeah, there should not be shuffling going on at this stage of the season. In terms of talent, it seems odd now to think back about how so many of us fans (and some national experts) were quick to label Phoenix as a championship favorite after the KD deal. Lots of mediocrity from the fifth starter on down...

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look at the Suns roster after their top four players and tell me what you think. I have trouble finding a 5th starter.
You still didn't answer the question. We are not the only team in the history of the playoffs to have a questionable 5th starter either.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You still didn't answer the question. We are not the only team in the history of the playoffs to have a questionable 5th starter either.

Tell me those teams so I can better understand how the Suns are expected to advance with their current cast.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tell me those teams so I can better understand how the Suns are expected to advance with their current cast.
So your stance is we are the only team in history? It's yes or no.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose