Playoffs: Clippers @ Suns Tuesday game thread 4-25-2023 - Game 5

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Chris Paul is not the same player of yesteryear, although he does show flashes. What do you prefer, run and gun?
No. Just our regular offense. Maybe you aren’t recognizing what we are talking about. We are talking the offense where either Booker or Paul get the ball just past half court and hunch over low dribbling the clock down before attacking with 5-6 seconds left in the shot clock. That’s not our regular offense.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Maybe it's Monty but I suspect it's more CP3 and it's something that worked great for us until this season. Now, Monty needs to recognize that we don't have that CP3 anymore and coach needs to step up and overrule him.
This has been a problem in the playoffs since Paul got to the Suns. They run this garbage offense at the end of games where they have no chance at getting a good shot.

I wonder if Durant was just saving energy in the 4th quarter. Maybe he can't play 40+ minutes if he's involved in the offense on every play.

Had they run a few Durant/Booker pick and rolls early in the shot clock in the 4th they likely wouldn't have lost the lead.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
No. Just our regular offense. Maybe you aren’t recognizing what we are talking about. We are talking the offense where either Booker or Paul get the ball just past half court and hunch over low dribbling the clock down before attacking with 5-6 seconds left in the shot clock. That’s not our regular offense.
They were trying to run out the clock with 5 minutes left in the game. Just a completely idiotic strategy. If Monty didn't explicitly tell them to do that then he should have at least told them to stop.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They were trying to run out the clock with 5 minutes left in the game. Just a completely idiotic strategy. If Monty didn't explicitly tell them to do that then he should have at least told them to stop.
The really bizarre thing is they do this, especially Booker, at the corner of half court which is the worst place to be because it invites double teams with nowhere to go and Book is still not not great at making the right play or diagnosing when that double is coming.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris Paul is not the same player of yesteryear, although he does show flashes. What do you prefer, run and gun?
Not try something over and over again that no longer works. Start the offense with 10 seconds, minimum like I previously said.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is exactly what i am referring to. It almost never works, leads to turnovers or bad shots.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not try something over and over again that no longer works. Start the offense with 10 seconds, minimum like I previously said.

Don't the Suns do this anyway?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not really Kyler has made pro bowls and has set records, what exactly has DA done? Also by all accounts Monty is a solid coach, Kyler has performed under a clown show coaching staff, excited for some NFL coaching…

He made an appearance in the Finals.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't the Suns do this anyway?
Not in the last six minutes of the game last night they did. And that’s exactly what we’re trying to get through. Monty had them switched to this slow down all fence where they dribble in the corner, get trapped and don’t try to start to create a shot until about five seconds left.

Just run the offense that had been working the rest of the game

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not in the last six minutes of the game last night they did. And that’s exactly what we’re trying to get through. Monty had them switched to this slow down all fence where they dribble in the corner, get trapped and don’t try to start to create a shot until about five seconds left.

Just run the offense that had been working the rest of the game

I agree with your last sentence.

Although it may not look like it, I don't think the Suns wait until the last 5 seconds to initiate their offense. What we see sometimes is a stagnant offense when they run the clock down to even 10 seconds.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My prediction: Westbrook is going to sign with us this summer. Why? Did you see all the positive comments from Book, KD, and CP3 about Westbrook? Those kinds of public bromance comments sure looked like recruiting to me.

I am not sure I am in favor of such a signing. Having Westbrook just run the second unit is sort of intriguing, but it really hasn't worked elsewhere. He is a physical force, he just is not an efficient player.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My prediction: Westbrook is going to sign with us this summer. Why? Did you see all the positive comments from Book, KD, and CP3 about Westbrook? Those kinds of public bromance comments sure looked like recruiting to me.

I am not sure I am in favor of such a signing. Having Westbrook just run the second unit is sort of intriguing, but it really hasn't worked elsewhere. He is a physical force, he just is not an efficient player.
I think he stays a Clipper where he can start and already lives and is from and who embraced him wholeheartedly.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I just re-watched the third quarter, I highly recommend it. This team's ceiling is very high. I think they can win the championship.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Westbrooks stays with the Clippers, I doubt they can pay him more than the minimum.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I heard 6 million but I'm not sure if the ESPN guy was guessing or quoting.

The Clippers are near the top of luxury taxpayer hell next season, only behind the Warriors.

If they stay near there, my recollection is they can't offer more than a $5 million MLE if they exceed the first tax apron by $7 million, so that figure wouldn't be far off.

The Suns are going to have to tread water very closely, too.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Max they can offer him is 3.8 million. Supposedly he really likes being a Clipper but we shall see what the offseason holds.

We need to do a thread on this once we learn more about how the new CBA works on luxury tax paying teams.

I think a lot of teams that are paying less taxes will get some cheap talent for minimal assets.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We need to do a thread on this once we learn more about how the new CBA works on luxury tax paying teams.

I think a lot of teams that are paying less taxes will get some cheap talent for minimal assets.

I dont believe that takes effect this off-season. I remember reading something about changes being eased in, supposedly there will be time to adjust. I'd be surprised if they added something that drastic immediately because it would effect multiple teams without giving them an opportunity to make moves first for what's to come.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I dont believe that takes effect this off-season. I remember reading something about changes being eased in, supposedly there will be time to adjust. I'd be surprised if they added something that drastic immediately because it would effect multiple teams without giving them an opportunity to make moves first for what's to come.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was another one to two years to go into effect.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah, I heard it would be phased in, but there is a lot to know. It sounds like the Clippers and Warriors will be the most impacted early.