Playoffs 2010: Western Conf Semifinals, Game 3 – Suns At Spurs Game Thread

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know what, i missed the entire second half, and figured it was for the best. i turn the game on and it is 107-91 with 1:00 minute left... I just stared at the tv. Wow.

I gotta see this dragic performance, thankfully espn replays game tonight.

lets get lopex healthy. Is WCF pre-scheduled, or if lakers/suns sweep will it start early?

Luckily for us, the Lakers will go AT LEAST until Tuesday, which means if they sweep, we won't play them till Thursday at the earliest, and likely, for TV purposes, they might push that series to Saturday.

and you're not gonna believe your eyes when you watch Goran in the fourth. It was one of the greatest things I've EVER seen from ANY Suns player.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
I never thought I would say this... but Barbosa also had a huge 4th quarter that was overshadowed by Dragic's lights out play

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll tell you what, as much crap as I give Barbs (and i give him A LOT I still LIKE the guy and LOVED seeing him get to give a scream and holler when he nailed that three.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love it. Pop said "it might extend Steve's career 5 or 6 years if Dragic keeps playing like that". I think his answer started out tongue in cheek but it didn't end that way.

Steve

cly2tw

Reaction score
Also, I like Gentry's adjustment more and more. In the 2nd, while in a big hole, Dragic wasn't much of a help on offense. He put Nash back in around 8:30. Then, 2:30 in the third, he subbed in Dragic in for Nash, unlike usually after the break, making sure that Nash would come back around 7:00 in the 4th fresh.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
I never thought I would say this... but Barbosa also had a huge 4th quarter that was overshadowed by Dragic's lights out play

Yup our bench backcourt were LIGHTS OUT tonight. That was ridiculous.

Amare does very little, Nash was solid but not as spectacular as game 1, and we still end up winning going away after an awful first half. Unreal

cly2tw

Reaction score
Manu just acknowledging that the way Suns killed them was demoralizing! Just what I thought and why I was confident going into this game. It's not about we won games, but the manner we did it just tell us that this Spurs aren't gonna stop us whatsoever.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dude... Manu just broke it down... basically said we have no chance to beat them unless we play PERFECT... AND HE'S RIGHT.

KILL THEM ON SUNDAY.

TBaslim

Planet Orange
Reaction score
I loved that at one point in the 4th, Goran and LB were running the two man game themselves. Setting screens for each other and picking whom would go. And props to Barbs. He was fired up and rocking, but as soon as Goran really got rolling, he completely deferred to him and helped screen for him. Given that Barbs can be a black hole sometimes (and is told to to provide offense to the bench), that was great to see.

cly2tw

Reaction score
I'll tell you what, as much crap as I give Barbs (and i give him A LOT I still LIKE the guy and LOVED seeing him get to give a scream and holler when he nailed that three.

That's evidence of Gentry's trust paying off. LB played with heart even though on defense it looked so awkward as it used to be with Amare. Certainly the smallballl lineup in the fourth next to Dragic made his life also easier.:)

TBaslim

Planet Orange
Reaction score
dude... Manu just broke it down... basically said we have no chance to beat them unless we play PERFECT... AND HE'S RIGHT.

KILL THEM ON SUNDAY.

Yeah - give Manu credit. He was very honest and actually respectful of the job the Suns are doing on the Spurs. No pouting. Just frustration at not knowing how to beat us.

I actually hope the Suns come out really fired up for a sweep. Not to 'get the sweep', but to keep the Spurs from getting a victory and any confidence back.

Cause I still think the Spurs are good enough to cause heaps of trouble if they get on a roll and swing the refs and momentum to their side.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Still nervous as hell though. If any team can choke away a 3-0 lead it would be the Suns. (vs the Spurs.) I think there would be mass suicides if this happened.

And unfortunately, if the Suns pull this out, they'll run into Goliath. The Lakers.

Look at it this way. Since JANUARY (yes, January!) the Suns haven't lost 2 games in a row. That's almost the entire second half of the season without a losing streak. That is AMAZING, and they are playing incredibly right now. I've never seen a Suns team have bad halves and still recover and win.

I just love these guys. And even though I was really impressed by Goran, I am ecstatic about LB. He's such a great kid, and he needed a game like this against an opponent he historically sucked against. All of a sudden, the Spurs (and even the Lakers) have to start rethinking how they will approach Barbosa from now on.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
If only it was Gentry coaching this team, instead of "it's not my job to develop players" D'antoni.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This is the first time we've been up 3-0 since memphis 2005 (thanks again d'antoni for that soft stuff). It's a weird feeling.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

KILL THEM ON SUNDAY.

He said in games 2/3 we just couldn't stop them in the 4th.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score

KILL THEM ON SUNDAY.
Absolutely LOVING IT!!

They have given their everything and still lost big... TO OUR BENCH!!

This HAS to be extremely demoralizing!!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look at it this way. Since JANUARY (yes, January!) the Suns haven't lost 2 games in a row. That's almost the entire second half of the season without a losing streak. That is AMAZING, and they are playing incredibly right now. I've never seen a Suns team have bad halves and still recover and win.

I just love these guys. And even though I was really impressed by Goran, I am ecstatic about LB. He's such a great kid, and he needed a game like this against an opponent he historically sucked against. All of a sudden, the Spurs (and even the Lakers) have to start rethinking how they will approach Barbosa from now on.

I'm with you on Barbs. Like I said, I've given him a HEAPING TON of crap and am terrified every time he touches the ball, but i LOVED seeing him get over on this team. Him hitting that three and then screaming and slapping five was the moment I really started to believe that we were gonna win this sucker.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, I like Gentry's adjustment more and more. In the 2nd, while in a big hole, Dragic wasn't much of a help on offense. He put Nash back in around 8:30. Then, 2:30 in the third, he subbed in Dragic in for Nash, unlike usually after the break, making sure that Nash would come back around 7:00 in the 4th fresh.

I agree. Gentry is looking like a coaching genius, taking the best of what he has learned from all his coaching experiences. He truly seems to have a calming influence on the players because he is so level headed and calm in his coaching technique. Players pick on his demeanor. He certainly has a handle on how and when to play certain players. He gave Dragic permission to play hard even if he made mistakes which is a huge load to take off a young player especially in a big game.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This group of players seems like a real team. I don't miss watching Marion and Amare fight over rebounds. These guys all seem to enjoy seeing each other succeed. Its amazing what not having Marion or Shaq can do for a team.

asudevil83

Reaction score
these suns players genuinely TRUST Gentry. when their backs are against the wall they listen to their coach. Throughout this game this team never seemed to panic. its as though they know if they just listen to the coach, and focus on what he has to say the game will be theirs.

THIS is the difference between Gentry and D'Antoni. D'Antoni's philosophy was just "keep shooting", where Gentry has this team focusing on what NEEDS to be done to win.

and gentry TRUSTS his players. His substitutions seem almost flawless. He has the right combination of players on the floor almost all the time.

IF we can get Lopez back, then i think this TEAM has everything it needs to make a serious run for the championship.