PJ may sign with the C's

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/2008/02/cs_may_land_bro.html

The Celtics appear to be close to adding free agent forward P.J. Brown to their roster.

Brown's agent, Mark Bartelstein, acknowledged it is "possible" that Brown could be a Celtic soon.

The 38-year-old Brown, who has been courted to return to his home state team, the New Orleans Hornets, has been inactive this season.
The Celtics have two roster spots to fill before Friday's playoff eligible deadline. The Celtics hope to land veteran guard Sam Cassell if he is bought out by the Clippers.

Brown, who has 14 years of experience, would bring needed depth in the frontline. The 6-foot-11 forward is known for his rebounding and tough interior defense. He averages 9.2 points and 7.8 rebounds per game for his career. He also would brings much-needed playoff experience, with 81 games under his belt with the four franchises he has played for, most recently as a member of the Chicago Bulls.

OP
OP
Rab

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
It's now official according to the Boston Herald.

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/celtics/?p=210&srvc=home&position=recent

The Celtics, their needs still unaddressed at backup point guard, made a strong move today to add defense and strength to their frontcourt with the signing of veteran power forward P.J. Brown.

The 36-year-old Brown played for Chicago last season before going into semi-retirement. He was also pursued by the Celtics last summer, but expressed a preference to remain near his home in Louisiana, though he ultimately didn’t sign with two of his supposed targets - New Orleans and Dallas.

He is consided a rugged defender and rebounder - especially at the `four’ spot - and should provide the Celtics with yet another accomplished role player.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh my. Holy frick. We could have used this guy.

asudevil83

Reaction score
the ONLY reason PJ hadnt signed with a team before the deadline was because there was a strong possibility that he would be part of a package deal that could have netted him a BUNCH of money in the process.

not surprised he's signing with the celts.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dang that sucks celtics just got better, lets hope we can sign Berry or Cassell this week :(

BeeBeard

Throw some Bees on that.
Reaction score
Brown was pretty serious a while back when he said he had retired. But maybe the Celtics' attitude, acting like signing somebody to their roster is like handing them a ring, would be enough to draw him out of retirement? People can always change their mind about it.

WuRaider

Registered
Reaction score
This sucks, they're gonna get PJ and the Alien while we get dangled along then rejected by friggin Brent Barry.

BeeBeard

Throw some Bees on that.
Reaction score
I believe that was our pitch too.

*Zing!*

At least the Suns have shown some humbleness about it, though, wouldn't you say? It's been nothing but "we just need time to gel" talk instead of pre-season championship predictions. I guess that's slightly not as bad?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think trading for Shaq eliminated any chance of getting PJ. We are looking to get another swing guy and Skinner cannot even get off the bench. I am happy with what Skinner had brought to the team. I am not sure that PJ would bring anything that a combination of Shaq and Skinner couldn't get us.

We just don't need PJ IMO. We need shooting more then PJ IMO right now post Shaq trade.

BeeBeard

Throw some Bees on that.
Reaction score
I think trading for Shaq eliminated any chance of getting PJ. We are looking to get another swing guy and Skinner cannot even get off the bench. I am happy with what Skinner had brought to the team. I am not sure that PJ would bring anything that a combination of Shaq and Skinner couldn't get us.

We just don't need PJ IMO. We need shooting more then PJ IMO right now post Shaq trade.

Incidentally, (and slightly OT) is there a reason why Amare is still playing center more than Skinner when Shaq comes out of the game?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Incidentally, (and slightly OT) is there a reason why Amare is still playing center more than Skinner when Shaq comes out of the game?

I think it's intentional to change the pace of the game. D'Antoni still wants to run his system and it still runs best with Amare at Center. However, I have been asking myself that same question.

Why not play Skinner when Shaq goes to the bench? My guess is he is also trying to give Diaw and Barbosa more minutes. So to do that you play Amare at Center. I would still like to see Skinner out there with our defense struggling as much as it has.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

I agree. The thing is....shhhh....i'd rather have P.J./Marion and no Shaq.
Get it?

da_suns_fan

Registered
Reaction score

I don't understand why Skinner doesn't get significant playing time.

I laugh at the people calling for Strawberry/Marks/Pike etc. to get more time, but Skinner rarely makes mistakes and seems to be consistently productive when he's out there.

Why doesn't he get more minutes?

French Fries

Mangaworm
Reaction score

i agree with you but (i'm just saying) wouldn't it change the suns' system so much that what's left of it's identity will also be eliminated?

i'd love for us to have pj, but it could be worse, he could have landed in LA or Dallas or some other top west teams but still... snap...

BeeBeard

Throw some Bees on that.
Reaction score
I like this move for Boston only because it's basically a confession by the Celtics that their worst starter, Kendrick Perkins, still can't be used in extended minutes, and that Leon Powe and Glen Davis don't have enough length at center for the playoffs.

nowagimp

Reaction score
I think it's intentional to change the pace of the game. D'Antoni still wants to run his system and it still runs best with Amare at Center. However, I have been asking myself that same question.

Why not play Skinner when Shaq goes to the bench? My guess is he is also trying to give Diaw and Barbosa more minutes. So to do that you play Amare at Center. I would still like to see Skinner out there with our defense struggling as much as it has.

skinner causes spacing problems when he's out there. I love his D, but if the suns are having spacing issues with shaq, a change of pace helps to force the defense open for amare in the middle.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Having too many ball players that can't shoot on the court causes some spacing issues because the defense can just pack it in.
Skinner at the 5 in Shaq's absence could work IMO. Unfortunately D'Antoni's favorite mistake is gonna continue to get big minutes.

LavaLamp2

Registered
Reaction score

Maybe because he is the best center we have when we switch to small-ball mode?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose