Pizza arbitrage

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A friend emailed this to me. Long read but pretty fascinating, funny, and just stupid.

https://themargins.substack.com/p/d...ZgyXq3wuiaba9j97k8AfsngXCUxEND6T1ni7vu0Mn59YQ

the long and short of it this guy owned a pizza place that did NOT have delivery. He started getting calls complaining their pizza was delivered cold, he kept telling them we don't deliver I think you have the wrong place. He eventually figured out Google had put a delivery option on their listing, because Doordash was delivering for the place. He also figured out they had the prices wrong. He contacted a tech friend who writes stories and the guy figured out Doordash had "scraped" his menu incorrectly so for example a pizza he charges 24 bucks for, is 16 on the Doordash site. The friend told him you can make money off this, so they did a test had someone order 10 pizzas on doordash for 160 bucks, sure enough Doordash called in to place an order for 10 pizzas, for 240 bucks, because that's the actual price. So Doordash was paying 8 dollars extra on each pizza and just eating the loss.

It also has a bunch of stuff about how evil sites like Doordash and Grubhub can be. Including Grubhub creating fake phone numbers so you think you're calling Joe's Pizza, but you are calling Grubhub, and they charge Joe's pizza for the call! And then Grubhub convinces Yelp to change the yelp listing so their phone number becomes the real number, not the actual phone number. So a customer wants to help the local business calls it, and actually gets Grubhub.

Conniving bastards

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. That sucks.

I don't use Yelp, or Grubhub, etc.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another friend pointed out the perfect way to handle it. Keep ordering pizzas for 16 bucks that cost 24, then have the pizzas delivered to homeless shelters to feed the homeless. Doordash pays 8 dollars extra on each pizza, and you can write off the donations to the shelter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA