Pistons @ Suns Friday game thread 2-28-20

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Suns couldn't stop Rose. Also they didn't secure loose balls and committed 8 more turnovers than the Pistons. Additionally Detroit put up 15 more shots.
Book had six turnovers. Turnovers often account for the shot disparity. I understand the importance of sharing the ball, but that has to be accompanied by taking care of the ball.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
How do we just forget that Ayton was dominating in the first half?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Book had six turnovers. Turnovers often account for the shot disparity. I understand the importance of sharing the ball, but that has to be accompanied by taking care of the ball.

We need a mosaic of what went wrong. I guess Monty would say the Sun didn't play the right way.

For some reason, many games the Suns play uninspired at home.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We need a mosaic of what went wrong. I guess Monty would say the Sun didn't play the right way.

For some reason, many games the Suns play uninspired at home.
I am flummoxed. Baby keeps Rubio up at home but he sleeps like an bab. . . er. . . adult on the road? Its easier to get weed at home? No clue really.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am flummoxed. Baby keeps Rubio up at home but he sleeps like an bab. . . er. . . adult on the road? Its easier to get weed at home? No clue really.

The first theory might be a good one except Rubio has played well of late. I don't have a clue either except the Suns spend more time together on the road which leads to better camaraderie.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was looking at the team splits for the season and it appears the team averages just over 2 more shot attempts a game on the road (89.1) vs at home (86.9). It appears that they allow roughly the same amount of attempts for their opponent at home (86.8) but they average about 2 more attempts than their opponents on the road (87.3), which is odd. Turnovers are essentially the same at home and on the road also (14.5 home & 14.4 away) and their opponents turnovers are close to the same also at home vs on the road (15.3 home & 15.9 away) but they average 2 more offensive rebounds on the road (8.8 home & 10.9 away) so that's where the extra shots come from. That's the only thing that jumped out as a difference as far as home and away performances.

The only thing that stood out with some of the other splits is how terrible this team is when they get 3 or more days off. They've lost all 3 games with long breaks but they don't even average 100 points in those games, which I thought was quite odd. They average 112.2 ppg regularly but just 94 on 3 or more days rest. Thankfully they've only had 3 games like that, losing all of them.

They also suck on Tuesdays, 1-5 this year. So lets hope there aren't many Tuesday games left and especially no Tuesday games after a long rest.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/PHO/2020/splits/

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I was looking at the team splits for the season and it appears the team averages just over 2 more shot attempts a game on the road (89.1) vs at home (86.9). It appears that they allow roughly the same amount of attempts for their opponent at home (86.8) but they average about 2 more attempts than their opponents on the road (87.3), which is odd. Turnovers are essentially the same at home and on the road also (14.5 home & 14.4 away) and their opponents turnovers are close to the same also at home vs on the road (15.3 home & 15.9 away) but they average 2 more offensive rebounds on the road (8.8 home & 10.9 away) so that's where the extra shots come from. That's the only thing that jumped out as a difference as far as home and away performances.

The only thing that stood out with some of the other splits is how terrible this team is when they get 3 or more days off. They've lost all 3 games with long breaks but they don't even average 100 points in those games, which I thought was quite odd. They average 112.2 ppg regularly but just 94 on 3 or more days rest. Thankfully they've only had 3 games like that, losing all of them.

They also suck on Tuesdays, 1-5 this year. So lets hope there aren't many Tuesday games left and especially no Tuesday games after a long rest.

That explains how flat they were coming out of the all-star break.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
A large part of his problem has been lack of consistency throughout each game.

If there is a reason for it, such as weariness or not adjusting to their adjusting,
that needs to be worked on by the coaching staff.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Why don’t we just get Rose and Wood for next year?

We keep talking about needing a backup pg and a pf, but we really don’t have a back up sg at all.

Rose is a terrible human and injury prone. His luck will run out eventually. Can’t not give him credit for turning his career around though.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

They haven't won on a full moon yet either. Love your post

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Booker had a negative (+/-) as did all of the bench players.

Bridges, Saric, Ayton and Rubio all had pluses (+/-).

Ayton is playing well recently. Hope he gets to continue improving and building confidence the rest of the way. He's looking less intimidated and is more involved.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Ayton is playing well recently. Hope he gets to continue improving and building confidence the rest of the way. He's looking less intimidated and is more involved.
You're right and it's good to see. He needs to build up his confidence/endurance/pride and hopefully, as with Booker, not give up on the team. That will be a challenge.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson