Pictures of the new turf & north endzone building

HooverDam

Reaction score
I'm out of the loop, why did UA go to turf? I understand it up in Oregon where it rains a ton and the field turns to mud, but in Fall...in Arizona?

I know one thing ASU has always kind of bragged about since Super Bowl 30 was at SDS was the super high quality of the turf. I imagine UAs conditions weren't much different.

I hope ASU doesn't go to artificial turf when they re-do SDS. But if the shade canopy thing is non retractable (which would be a huge mistake) I suppose they'll have to.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I'm out of the loop, why did UA go to turf? I understand it up in Oregon where it rains a ton and the field turns to mud, but in Fall...in Arizona?

I know one thing ASU has always kind of bragged about since Super Bowl 30 was at SDS was the super high quality of the turf. I imagine UAs conditions weren't much different.

Lower maintenance and cleaner looking. Also, as far as i remember, Rich Rodriguez requested it before he signed his contract because it gives speed athletes a distinct advantage. if you go to many redesigned high school or JuCo fields, they're mostly field turf.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lower maintenance and cleaner looking. Also, as far as i remember, Rich Rodriguez requested it before he signed his contract because it gives speed athletes a distinct advantage. if you go to many redesigned high school or JuCo fields, they're mostly field turf.

RichRod wanted it not only for the speed advantage but they can practice on it every day. Also, this field turf they are using is a new state-of-the-art turf. They are using cork instead of the ground up tires because the cork cools the field.

Stronso

Schweddy Balls
Reaction score
Can't wait to see a game with everything done

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Can't wait to see a game with everything done

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Me too. The turf looks great as does the new facility. It will only help the program.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
RichRod wanted it not only for the speed advantage but they can practice on it every day. Also, this field turf they are using is a new state-of-the-art turf. They are using cork instead of the ground up tires because the cork cools the field.

When I interned for a football team here in So Cal, that tire stuff smelled awful when the weather got warm; however, that team had a few legit 4.3 40 guys and they looked like fine-tuned Ferraris compared to when they played on grass.

Don't remember if I've seen a cork field, but should be interesting.

Last edited:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score

I hope ASU doesn't go to artificial turf when they re-do SDS. But if the shade canopy thing is non retractable (which would be a huge mistake) I suppose they'll have to.

Just an FYI - My father in law is a pretty big ASU booster and says they're probably going field turf when they re-do SDS. There's concerns on ability to grow natural grass with the shade structure and synthetic is considerably cheaper over the long run.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just an FYI - My father in law is a pretty big ASU booster and says they're probably going field turf when they re-do SDS. There's concerns on ability to grow natural grass with the shade structure and synthetic is considerably cheaper over the long run.

It's part of ASU's budget on the matter. Definitely going turf. Everyone is, because maintaining real grass costs more money over the long haul, and you still don't have any reliable guarantee.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
It's part of ASU's budget on the matter. Definitely going turf. Everyone is, because maintaining real grass costs more money over the long haul, and you still don't have any reliable guarantee.

Yes, to same point I'm actually considering a small partnership in a company that does it for normal Joe's. Water costs are getting so crazy it makes all the sense in the world even without all the maintenance. I think Graham doesn't mind it considering his scheme regardless.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, to same point I'm actually considering a small partnership in a company that does it for normal Joe's. Water costs are getting so crazy it makes all the sense in the world even without all the maintenance.

If we start putting in turf as lawns, I'm moving to Colorado.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we start putting in turf as lawns, I'm moving to Colorado.

It looks great - thinking about it for an area in our backyard that grass doesn't grow well - so the puppy has a good place to play.

Hoses off if he uses it for bathroom.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
It looks great - thinking about it for an area in our backyard that grass doesn't grow well - so the puppy has a good place to play.

Hoses off if he uses it for bathroom.
I was told that on average it's about $7/sf. PM me if interested and I can send you the contractors info.

azmike74

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm purchasing artificial turf for my backyard. I had a 15 by 15 area at my last house near my pool and I liked it.