Phoenix Professional Sports...

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Wasn't sure where to stick this so if a mod feels it's better suited elsewhere, have at it.

Riding into work this morning I was listening to Doug & Wolf. They interviewed Grant Hill and Al McCoy. Both were awesome. You couldn't help but get fired up after listening to these guys. It got me thinking... I've only been a Valley resident for 9 years. But all I ever heard about - and still do - is how the Valley sports scene sucks, how the Suns are cursed, the Cards are the worst NFL team in the history of the league, the Coyotes are an after-thought, and the D-Backs had their one year miracle and will never be heard from again... And worst of all in my opinion, are all of the derogatory remarks about the fans. In fact, it's not rare to hear someone make the claim that the teams suck because of the fans!
I actually called into Doug & Wolf last week when I heard Doug putting down Valley fans as he suggested that the Coyotes will go back to being an after-thought next season. He claimed he has ZERO faith in Valley fans to continue to support a team that just came off one of the most surprising, miraculous seasons in recent NHL memory. I blasted him...

Anyway, as many of you know, I am a New York sports fan having grown up 1/2 hour drive from Yankee Stadium... Back in NY, we've had our share of Pro Sports success, largely provided by the Yankees of course. Though, Parcells gave us a nice ride with the Giants too...
But when I look now at what has and is transpiring here in the desert, I can't help but feel immense pride, satisfaction and gratitude. The Cards have given us one helluva ride over the past 3 years. Who knows what will happen in a post-Warner era, but nobody can refute that the Cards are legit, particularly coming off of their most aggressive off-season in decades, if not ever - as well as yet another solid/excellent draft.
The Coyotes put us on a truly magical ride this year... Nobody on the planet could have expected the sort of season they produced. And had they not drawn a first round matchup against the Red Wings, NHL hockey would still be being played out in Glendale...
The Suns... what a tremendous year this has been. Yet another immense surprise as, around the all-star break, Amare was to be traded and the season was lost. We now sit at 2-0 against the HATED Spurs, with a very real chance of finally purging ourselves of this demon and moving on to the Conference Finals. Seriously, just 3 months ago, would you have thought this possible? Kinda reminds me of the magical Super Bowl run the Cards gave us in the '08-'09 season!
No doubt the D-Backs are the weak link here. However, they too are making strides and are not far off from being a legit contender. They currently sit in the #2 slot in all of MLB with regard to runs scored! No - that's not a typo. Never thought I'd see the day when the D-Backs are an offensive juggernaut! They are right behind the Rays (an AL team with a DH), and ahead of all other AL teams... amazing! If only they had a Bullpen, they'd be on their way to a Pennant...

Think about it all of this and embrace it fellow Valley sports fans. There are not many other, if ever before, sports towns across this country that have enjoyed this sort of confluence of success. And I really don't see it changing anytime soon. Unless the Cards really falter in a post-Warner era, or if the Suns can't bring Amare back - I see these teams, along with the Yotes and D-Backs, being highly competitive and bringing more success to the Valley in the years ahead.

Good times people! Really GOOD TIMES!!

number1.gif

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
There's a lot of die hards, but also a lot of front runners here. Ponying up for tickets seems to be a real problem due to the recession, housing market etc.

The Cards got roasted when they had trouble selling out the playoff game versus Atlanta. Gambo and Ash were talking the other day about Game 2 of Suns/Spurs not being sold out the day of the game. Things like that are media fodder for Arizona fan bashing.

chickenhead

Reaction score
I'm the reverse of you: grew up in the Valley but have called NYC home for about 10 years. I always thought the label Phoenix fans got was unfair. Obviously in a city full of transplants, a significant number of residents have other loyalties, and will really only show up when a Phoenix team is a hot ticket. But all of my friends who grew up there are huge Phoenix sports fans, even though most of us have lived elsewhere as adults. Generally I find New York fans to be pretty good, though the fact that the population is so huge and there are so many corporate tickets tends to cover up whatever apathy there might actually be towards a team.

seesred

Reaction score
It's so good to read that people from somewhere else are rooting for the home team. We have sold out the Cards new stadium for three years. The Suns did sell out for years and appear to be getting back the lost souls looking for a team to root for. The Coyots, I'm not a big hockey fan, but watched every game I could near seasons end. That leaves the D-backs who I'd love to see make it back to competing. They are much better than lasts year product.

The Cards were the leaders in waking up all the sleeping giants with the last three years of exciting games, sold out venue, and plenty of Big Reds jerseys, hats etc; being sold. We are becoming a good sports town, we will be a great sports town when the folks who move here at the very least root for the home team. I know that old Yankees fans don't die, they just keep on keeping on. Right now all our teams are fun to watch.

GBR

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I will chime in on this.

I have lived my entire life in the "SPORTS MECCA" of the great and powerful Northeast.

Giants fans, Eagles fans, Patriot fans - OH MY!

I went to a Cardinals game two seasons ago, and I was EXTREMELY impressed.

I loved the state, the people, the atmosphere.

As for sports, the tailgaiting scene gets an A+++, just as good or better than any Northeast sports complex I have been to.

So, the local scene is good, but on the national level there is this stereotype against the west coast. I would imagine because your games are starting at 10pm it is "out of sight, out of mind".

Regardless, the point is there are some good teams in AZ, and they are making some noise.

I was rooting for the Yotes even though I would not have wanted to see them in the Finals against the Pengiuns. They met in the regardless season and took the Penguins behind the shed, and beat them bad.

I would enjoy these good times, and take advantage if the scene. If you feed it, it will grow.

I will be coming back again to AZ, by the way. One of the reason I love it there was because of how a such a diverse population interacts in a positive way. I hope that the current situation doesn't lose sight of that.

Keep it going !

PS - And of course there is no other situation in the world, that is like watching an Cardinals football game. It might be easier for the new fans, and they won't know what I am talking about. But some "old timers" have "seen some things" in the past that gives you the feeling that ANYTHING, and I mean ANYTHING can happen during a Cardinals football game.

Last edited:

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's so good to read that people from somewhere else are rooting for the home team. We have sold out the Cards new stadium for three years. GBR

We've actually sold out UofP for four straight seasons. Yep, it's been four years already in UofP. One under Green, three under Whis. I remember getting arguments on this board about how the stadium would be half filled when it opened, then half filled the year after, not sold out once the Super Bowl was over, etc. I think support for the Cardinals has surprised everyone even, in their heart of hearts IMO, the Bidwills.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We've actually sold out UofP for four straight seasons. Yep, it's been four years already in UofP. One under Green, three under Whis. I remember getting arguments on this board about how the stadium would be half filled when it opened, then half filled the year after, not sold out once the Super Bowl was over, etc. I think support for the Cardinals has surprised everyone even, in their heart of hearts IMO, the Bidwills.

Honestly, it comes down to "if you build it they will come", which Bill had been harping to the state since the team got here. They have created one of the best gameday experiences in the NFL at westgate, with tailgating that now rivals the big cold weather markets. I know a lot of people say cold weather and tailgating go together, but man, I absolutely love arizona sun, beer, bbq and then a nice air conditioned seat to watch a great game. They built it, and people love it. Even when we sucked under Green and were so-so the first year under Whiz, people ate it up. If you build it, they will come.

Monty

2010 Cardinals Draft Guru
Reaction score
Ive lived in PA most of my live but i was born in AZ and a lot of my paternal family still reside there hence my Cards and Dbacks fandom. I completely agree with 82 in that i too see this area's sports franchises growing not only in competitiveness but in media positivity. The fans in the area cannot really be blamed as apart from the diehard core of any franchise, the majority of the support come and go depending on the successes or lack thereof of these franchises. Therefore it shouldnt be that much of a surprise to anyone that these franchises have been lacking the type of support we'd like to see. The Cards have been one of the worst franchises in the NFL for the past half-a-century or so and the Dbacks apart from a tremendous year and a good season here or there they've been strugglers in the MLB.

In terms of the Dbacks it is even more understandable as it is still a very young franchise still establishing its identity and fan base and in terms of the Cards it is hard to blame the fan base for giving up on a team that has been terrible for such long long time. The Suns have had fairly good support for a long time so i find their case study different to others. The coyotes i dont really follow so cant say about much about them really.

As the competitiveness of the sports franchises gets better and the successes of the Cards remain long term the fan base will become solidified and consistent and the same would go for the DBacks and the Suns. The whole area's sports competitivity is on the upturn and i can only see this having a tremendously beneficial effect on the area and its fanbase.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pains me to say, but they have a point. For the most part, our fans our fickle. If the Cards were 6-10 and out of the playoffs, there is no way that they would sell out.

It goes way deeper than that though. The culture of losing starts and stops with the Cards. We need a couple of more seasons of winning before people will take the team seriously. When we can't even convince a lot of our own fans, we are going to have a hard time convincing the nation.

Until the Suns do it, you almost have to believe that they are cursed. Although this team is still a 'Suns town' first.

Baseball and hockey are still relatively new to the Valley so you don't have the fans for that team yet. You need consistent winning in order to generate a fan base.

I just can't get into baseball enough to watch it on TV, and I already have season tickets to the Cards, so I won't see a D-Backs game on principle almost.. I can't get into hockey as well, but it is actually more fun for me to watch it on TV vs. live. I can't afford season tickets to the Suns or I would have them too, but I hit a game or two per year. There just isn't enough money around to support all of the franchises on a limited budget. I think that is a big issue.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most every town's fans are fickle. Enough losing, they stop coming. (Except idiot Cub fans, who go just to drink).

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I definately think there a quite a few fairweather type fans in the PHX area. I went to school out there and most of my friends fall into that catergory. I think that is why some fans get a bad name. I give most of my buddies a hard time because they won't shell out any money to buy game tickets unless the game is "cool" enough or "high profile" enough. The west side is "too far" for them unless it happens to be an NFC championship game or hockey playoffs, etc...

Cardsfanstl

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I will chime in on this.

I have lived my entire life in the "SPORTS MECCA" of the great and powerful Northeast.

Giants fans, Eagles fans, Patriot fans - OH MY!

I went to a Cardinals game two seasons ago, and I was EXTREMELY impressed.

I loved the state, the people, the atmosphere.

As for sports, the tailgaiting scene gets an A+++, just as good or better than any Northeast sports complex I have been to.

So, the local scene is good, but on the national level there is this stereotype against the west coast. I would imagine because your games are starting at 10pm it is "out of sight, out of mind".

Regardless, the point is there are some good teams in AZ, and they are making some noise.

I was rooting for the Yotes even though I would not have wanted to see them in the Finals against the Pengiuns. They met in the regardless season and took the Penguins behind the shed, and beat them bad.

I would enjoy these good times, and take advantage if the scene. If you feed it, it will grow.

I will be coming back again to AZ, by the way. One of the reason I love it there was because of how a such a diverse population interacts in a positive way. I hope that the current situation doesn't lose sight of that.

Keep it going !

PS - And of course there is no other situation in the world, that is like watching an Cardinals football game. It might be easier for the new fans, and they won't know what I am talking about. But some "old timers" have "seen some things" in the past that gives you the feeling that ANYTHING, and I mean ANYTHING can happen during a Cardinals football game.

I hear you. Go out there once a year for a Cards game and experience everything you say.

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
I have to say that the majority of "Valley Sports Fans" are from somewhere else and have allegence to many different Pro Sports teams. By and large they are mostly "Front running fans". They love the teams when they are winning and getting praise...they are ghost or worse(piling on) when the teams suck. I am a lifelong fan of the Cards and used to like NBA (the Suns are my West Conf team) but got turned off by the drama and lousy ball. Although the Suns play one of the more exciting games in the league. Coyotes are have not been a draw for me although I got a season ticket mini pack a couple of seasons ago. I love hockey but not enough to drive to the westside during the week as I live way East mesa. Being from STL I am a Blues fan so that is hard to switch from unless they played close by. All and all I will take the bandwagon fans for the Cards. They can break a leg if they jump off. I do draw the line at Cowboy fans that switch because the Cards got great and now they want in. They can get bent for all I care....ha ha.

RedViper

Registered
Reaction score
Good post 82CardsGrad. I hope you are right. What I respect about you, is that you came from back east, but instead of being one of these "I'm not from here, I just live here types" you instead became a full blown die hard fan of the Cardinals. All in. If we had more people like you, we wouldn't have the infestation of frontrunners and bandwagoners that we have in the Valley. People that will say F-it. This is where I live now and this is my team.

One thing that I've seen in the past few years are many many more Cardinals jerseys when I go pick my kid up at elementary school. I think we've made major inroads with the kids and that will make all the difference in the long run. My very first real sports memory was the shot herd round the world in 76when I came home from little league. How many little kids first memory will be Fitz TD in the Philadelphia game or something like that?

OP
OP
82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Good post 82CardsGrad. I hope you are right. What I respect about you, is that you came from back east, but instead of being one of these "I'm not from here, I just live here types" you instead became a full blown die hard fan of the Cardinals. All in. If we had more people like you, we wouldn't have the infestation of frontrunners and bandwagoners that we have in the Valley. People that will say F-it. This is where I live now and this is my team.

One thing that I've seen in the past few years are many many more Cardinals jerseys when I go pick my kid up at elementary school. I think we've made major inroads with the kids and that will make all the difference in the long run. My very first real sports memory was the shot herd round the world in 76when I came home from little league. How many little kids first memory will be Fitz TD in the Philadelphia game or something like that?

Thanks Viper! I won't lie... my attachment to the Cards was made easier by the fact that I played High School ball for the Greenwich Cardinals back in CT. It sounds trite, but the Red & White of the Cards jersey, and the bird on the White helmet has a way of keeping a permanent connection with you. It did with me...
However, I can also say that from what I have personally experienced, most folks my age who have moved to the Valley from other places, and who have kids, also adopted the Cards as their new favorite team. We moved here with the full intent of planting deep roots. Just not sure how you can do that and not become a fan and support your local teams?? Seems impossible to me...

And for the record, while NY fans can be some of the best on the planet, believe me there are many, many, many fairweather idiots roaming around the New York area as well. Phoenix is certainly not the leader in that area... not by a long shot. It's sad to read some of the comments on here from others who continue to diss Phoenix sports fans as if it's some sort of affliction that only resides in Phoenix. Just not true.
The teams here in the Valley are moving in the right direction. More time... more opportunities for people, kids and families to make real, deep connections to the teams is all that is needed.

I really think those of you who call the Phoenix area your home, yet you somehow don't see what is happening right in front of your nose, and don't appreciate just how rare this is, are really being shortsighted... I see it. And I'm really enjoying it!

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It is what it is.

- Media guys will continue to either (a) trash the Cards on general principles or (b) overrate us as "the new flavor" should we win a few in a row. They're going to say what they're going to say regardless of what we do.

- What is important is (a) how the team acquits itself and (b) how the fan base responds.

- The team has been relatively sound fundamentally in its management of late, has tended to "do the right thing" and hopefully will continue to do so.

- The fans were and are mainly out-of-staters with hard-to-pry-loose previous loyalties.

But the good news is that time is on our side:

- There is a growing base of young, home-grown fans in AZ who have only known the Cardinals.

- Every time some media pundit retires or dies, we lose an enemy. Media attitudes will eventually come around, but it's gonna take some time.

Bucaguy

Rookie
Reaction score
Fans everywhere are fickle.. Up in Minneapolis, People go to the games to be seen. Not to cheer for the home team.. I am glad they did not put a roof on the new stadium.. Now the real fans will be able to enjoy the games.

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
I was raised in Syracuse where the fans are passionate about Syracuse everything, and I feel that the real Arizona fans are just as passionate. I love every Arizona team (minus UofA obviously) and will until the day I die.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave