Phantom Thread

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Set in the glamour of 1950’s post-war London, renowned dressmaker Reynolds Woodcock (Daniel Day-Lewis) and his sister Cyril (Lesley Manville) are at the center of British fashion, dressing royalty, movie stars, heiresses, socialites, debutantes and dames with the distinct style of The House of Woodcock. Women come and go through Woodcock’s life, providing the confirmed bachelor with inspiration and companionship, until he comes across a young, strong-willed woman, Alma (Vicky Krieps), who soon becomes a fixture in his life as his muse and lover. Once controlled and planned, he finds his carefully tailored life disrupted by love. With his latest film, Paul Thomas Anderson paints an illuminating portrait both of an artist on a creative journey, and the women who keep his world running. Phantom Thread is Paul Thomas Anderson’s eighth movie, and his second collaboration with Daniel Day-Lewis.

Release date: December 25, 2017 (USA)
Director: Paul Thomas Anderson

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Day-Lewis and Director Anderson reunite after collaborating on There Will Be Blood, and Day-Lewis is saying he will retire after immersing himself into this role. Love his acting, even though his movies can be a little slow. Has 91% on RT so far. Anyone planning to see this?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll check it out just because of Daniel Day and PT coming together again, but not dying to see it after The Master (which was an ambitious misfire) and Inherent Vice (which was a near unwatchable mess).

OP
OP
AsUpRoDiGy

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
I'll check it out just because of Daniel Day and PT coming together again, but not dying to see it after The Master (which was an ambitious misfire) and Inherent Vice (which was a near unwatchable mess).
Agreed. Anderson always does well with the critics, but not so much with viewers. His movies are so damn slow. Nonetheless, DDL is always worth the price of admission.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Anderson always does well with the critics, but not so much with viewers. His movies are so damn slow. Nonetheless, DDL is always worth the price of admission.

Don’t get me wrong... I LOVED every film of Anderson’s prior to The Master, but the last two haven’t lived up to the standard he set with Boogie Nights, Punch Drunk Love, There Will Be Blood and especially Magnolia, which is one of my favorite films of all time.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
that story is as old as time.
Dude is rocking his life, being happy, being successful...
dude falls in love with a chick...
dudes life falls apart...
Hell, just watched that one play out with my nephew this past year...played the starring role a few times myself.....wait for free tv

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I enjoyed the heck out of Inherent Vice. Maybe it was the old stoner in me.

OP
OP
AsUpRoDiGy

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Movie is going to be a box office bomb. $35M budget and has only grossed $500K thus far.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Movie is going to be a box office bomb. $35M budget and has only grossed $500K thus far.

It’s only playing in ten theaters so far. That said, movies lik these aren’t really made with box office in mind as much as awards, which can then hopefully boost the box office a bit.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score

Yep.

You must be registered for see images attach

PTA is a good filmmaker, but damn does this look boring.

Yes, good film but it was boooring.

It’s only playing in ten theaters so far. That said, movies lik these aren’t really made with box office in mind as much as awards, which can then hopefully boost the box office a bit.

Ended up doing ok.

You must be registered for see images attach