PFF - Ranking every teams drafting over the last 4 years

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This Simmons talk could’ve been avoided if we just drafted Wirfs.

I'm sorry. I still take simmons over a right tackle every day of the week.

He's going to be awesome going forward.

eastcoastDave

Veteran
Reaction score
There have been so many swings and misses at the top of the draft that not makes my head swim. Someone needs to atone for the poor drafts.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
lots of family owned businesses are "S corporations".

the "S " stands for Shareholder.

In this case, whatever the corporate structure, it is Mike and four siblings. Three have no direct involvement with managing the family enterprise.

Last edited:

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score

apologies i stand corrected. However the income/loses debits/credits all go through THE SHAREHOLDERS. The original discussion was that many family businesses are shareholder ran. Michael B's shareholders are his siblings and anyone else who i probably have no business knowing.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
apologies i stand corrected. However the income/loses debits/credits all go through THE SHAREHOLDERS. The original discussion was that many family businesses are shareholder ran. Michael B's shareholders are his siblings and anyone else who i probably have no business knowing.
Agreed. Just wanted to point out the S because I'm a pain in the ass that way. :biglaugh:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Actually in the legal field they’re referred to as “subchapter S corporations.” So it’s technically the subchapter that’s being referenced (even if the S was based in it being a small business as originally dictated by the limited number and scope of shareholders, so I guess you could say S’s ALL AROUND!)

(don’t shoot the tax attorney)

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
Actually in the legal field they’re referred to as “subchapter S corporations.” So it’s technically the subchapter that’s being referenced (even if the S was based in it being a small business as originally dictated by the limited number and scope of shareholders, so I guess you could say S’s ALL AROUND!)

(don’t shoot the tax attorney)

Are you going to mention being a tax attorney in every one of your posts today too? <giggle>

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I can believe this reality to a point. But mike B has other shareholders to report to. He has to ensure consistency in the product he oversees. If he keeps employing the worst GM in the game because he likes the smell of his farts more than anyone elses then he is in trouble.

Yeah, but the shareholders don't care about being competitive nearly as much as they care about the dividend being handed out at the end of the year/keeping plenty of graft-y jobs in the family.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I got yer master of laws right here........... :cheers:

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, but the shareholders don't care about being competitive nearly as much as they care about the dividend being handed out at the end of the year/keeping plenty of graft-y jobs in the family.

Exactly. There seems to be a fallacy created by fans that owners care about winning. Some do, some more than others. I'm sure the majority of that is for their own ego and competitiveness with other owners.

But what they mostly care about is getting paid hundreds of millions in guaranteed profits every year for doing very little whether they win or lose.

Let's say your cousin Bidwill with your 10% share. Are you really getting yourself needlessly stressed over not challenging for super bowls or are you laying on your bed of money wondering where to take your 30 year younger trophy wife on the yacht next week?

It's the ultimate toy. Look at Mike. Through no merit or talent of his own he gets to play "football manager" every year with a guarantee he can't lose. He will never lose money, he will never get "relegated". In fact he can only ever make a fortune no matter how bad he is.

The only possible ever downside are PO'd fans. But tickets and concessions make up very little of the annual profit and when you have a fan base conditioned to accept losing (as we are) then they turn up anyway.

How many "jobs" can you have no skills or aptitude for and still make hundreds of millions guaranteed?

Last edited:

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
Exactly. There seems to be a fallacy created by fans that owners care about winning. Some do, some more than others. I'm sure the majority of that is for their own ego and competitiveness with other owners.

But what they mostly care about is getting paid hundreds of millions in guaranteed profits every year for doing very little whether they win or lose.

Let's say your cousin Bidwill with your 10% share. Are you really getting yourself needlessly stressed over not challenging for super bowls or are you laying on your bed of money wondering where to take your 30 year younger trophy wife on the yacht next week?

It's the ultimate toy. Look at Mike. Through no merit or talent of his own he gets to play "football manager" every year with a guarantee he can't lose. He will never lose money, he will never get "relegated". In fact he can only ever make a fortune no matter how bad he is.

The only possible ever downside are PO'd fans. But tickets and concessions make up very little of the annual profit and when you have a fan base conditioned to accept losing (as we are) then they turn up anyway.

How many "jobs" can you have no skills or aptitude for and still make hundreds of millions guaranteed?

I think youre assuming too much here. Business is business, of course those vested in an entity care about money, never understood why that triggers so many people.

But to assume that "cousin bidwill" has a young trophy wife and swims with money on a yacht is a little presumptuous. I do think you have a valid point but it gets diluted amongst all the veiled vitriol.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think youre assuming too much here. Business is business, of course those vested in an entity care about money, never understood why that triggers so many people.

But to assume that "cousin bidwill" has a young trophy wife and swims with money on a yacht is a little presumptuous. I do think you have a valid point but it gets diluted amongst all the veiled vitriol.

It's not vitriol. I was being hyperbolic to prove a point.

When you are raking in millions in "free" money every year bottom of your list of worries is if that money came from wins or loses. Considering it's the same either way.

The idea that Mikey B is under pressure from shareholders to be a challenger is silly. Especially from a family with the 2nd worse winning record of all time.

Mike could roll out 53 potato sacks in Cardinals jersey's every week if the league would let him and the shareholders would applaud his cap savings.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score

there is absolutely an element of truth here -- Bill Walsh years ago observed that of the (then ) 28 teams or so -- only 10 of them were really trying to win a SuperBowl.

the question is: Is Mike B really trying to win a SB?

I think he has constraints --- i believe that the family expects a certain amount of annual cash flow out of the team. i also think Mike shares his Dad's generally mistrust of outsiders -- so he likes to promote people who have been inside the organization for years rather then go outside.

that said -- he fired Rod Graves. I dont think everyone understands just how difficult that was personally for the family (Graves was an uber loyal soldier and is a really good and decent person). so Mike B will pull the trigger when he thinks its warranted.

i also dont think its all about profits either for Mike -- he has shown he is willing to spend money. Its a testament to how far the organization has come when the harshest criticism of the JJ Watt deal is from Mike Lombardi saying the team is spending too much money on an older player.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
there is absolutely an element of truth here -- Bill Walsh years ago observed that of the (then ) 28 teams or so -- only 10 of them were really trying to win a SuperBowl.

the question is: Is Mike B really trying to win a SB?

I think he has constraints --- i believe that the family expects a certain amount of annual cash flow out of the team. i also think Mike shares his Dad's generally mistrust of outsiders -- so he likes to promote people who have been inside the organization for years rather then go outside.

that said -- he fired Rod Graves. I dont think everyone understands just how difficult that was personally for the family (Graves was an uber loyal soldier and is a really good and decent person). so Mike B will pull the trigger when he thinks its warranted.

i also dont think its all about profits either for Mike -- he has shown he is willing to spend money. Its a testament to how far the organization has come when the harshest criticism of the JJ Watt deal is from Mike Lombardi saying the team is spending too much money on an older player.

I think Mike would love to win a SB. It is after all the ultimate validation to someone like Mike who's playing football GM. If you're going to play might as well play to win right?

But that doesn't mean he's under pressure to win one, or motivated to win one by anything other than his own ambition and ego. Certainly he's not under pressure from other shareholders, family members or any financial considerations

It's the ultimate game really isn't it? You can't lose. You will win millions no matter what you do. And if you get lucky and win the whole thing it's just a bonus.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose