PFF Game Grades

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
By the KTBGS (Krangthebrain grading system), Simmons got like an 80.

My grading system is similar to PFF except I give big weight to splash plays and Simmons made a few of those.

The problem with PFF is that a yeoman guy who is always in the right position could score a 80, while a guy who wasn't in the right position all of the time but made 2 big plays could score a 65. Thats why you'll routinely see guys that are only ok score high. I remember one game where Zach Allen scored really high and he didn't really do squat in a loss.
While you’re not wrong there’s power in having a collection of “yeoman guys” who are always in the right position. In fact, with the right coach that could become all you need. An example imo exists with the Patriots. Over the years they’ve had a stud here or there on defense but it’s never really been what I would call a star studded defense. I mean they cast off the Richard seymores and chandlers joneses of the world and kept on defensively. Why? Because they had the tedy bruschis , and Eugene Chung’s “yeoman guys” that bought in and played their positions.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
While you’re not wrong there’s power in having a collection of “yeoman guys” who are always in the right position. In fact, with the right coach that could become all you need. An example imo exists with the Patriots. Over the years they’ve had a stud here or there on defense but it’s never really been what I would call a star studded defense. I mean they cast off the Richard seymores and chandlers joneses of the world and kept on defensively. Why? Because they had the tedy bruschis , and Eugene Chung’s “yeoman guys” that bought in and played their positions.
And all-pro corners.

It's better to have a balanced roster than a stars-and-scrubs approach, but every comparison that begins "Just look at the Patriots" is probably inherently flawed because you have the best QB and best HC of all time. Probably need to find a better use case.

Krangthebrain

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Oh I want my team built with guys like that, but you also need a few Isaiah Simmons types too.

The Patriots just built a really strong core that surrounded, as @kerouac9 stated the best QB and HC of all time.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
And all-pro corners.

It's better to have a balanced roster than a stars-and-scrubs approach, but every comparison that begins "Just look at the Patriots" is probably inherently flawed because you have the best QB and best HC of all time. Probably need to find a better use case.
True. But even as much as a good offense impacts the defense a great QB can only do so much for a defense. I’ll grant bill is a difference maker, but he’s got to get those yeoman to buy I to his system and do their jobs to be successful. And yes they’ve had terrific corners at times throughout this era, but rarely two all pros at the same time. Mostly the guy opposite the stud was a yeoman.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Oh I want my team built with guys like that, but you also need a few Isaiah Simmons types too.

The Patriots just built a really strong core that surrounded, as @kerouac9 stated the best QB and HC of all time.
I think you don’t need a few Simmons to be a solid, above average defense of youre solid yeoman across the board. But to be a great defense you need two of them.

BritCard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
True. But even as much as a good offense impacts the defense a great QB can only do so much for a defense. I’ll grant bill is a difference maker, but he’s got to get those yeoman to buy I to his system and do their jobs to be successful. And yes they’ve had terrific corners at times throughout this era, but rarely two all pros at the same time. Mostly the guy opposite the stud was a yeoman.

You're not wrong. The whole Patriots dynasty is built on "Do your job" and finding guys that are not stars, or at least have not been great elsewhere, and putting them into a system where they could succeed. This is why it's always "buyer beware" on Patriot FA's.

Granted, they have always had a sprinkling of stars at skill positions too.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You're not wrong. The whole Patriots dynasty is built on "Do your job" and finding guys that are not stars, or at least have not been great elsewhere, and putting them into a system where they could succeed. This is why it's always "buyer beware" on Patriot FA's.

Granted, they have always had a sprinkling of stars at skill positions too.
Yup, but even those stars they usually got “on the cheap” like Dillon & Moss. Brady and Gronk being the major exceptions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Neilsmann