Peter Pan & Wendy (Disney+)

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remakes being such a high percentage of movies is a big part of the problem. We need a return to more mid-budget movies where the studios will take more of a chance.
Maybe because most original stories don't get funded, while a franchise ensured moneymaker like James Bond will??
This is also a problem in Hollywood but a different one. It definitly influences what gets made though and limits opportunities

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That still seems to be a broad assumption. You can't underscore the impact putting a person of color in a role has in a classic or KNOWN STORY everybody knows verses some generic story. Look at all the videos of little girls reactions when they see a Little Mermaid that looks like them. That's why remake changes can't just be classified as lazy. That seems to be the automatic assertion or calling it "woke". To me, that is what is lazy. Being inclusive sometimes is just that and the impact can last generations.
It's still lazy if Ariel is black and every other aspect of the story is exactly the same as it was from the animated film from 1989. Hopefully, they make some other changes as well.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's still lazy if Ariel is black and every other aspect of the story is exactly the same as it was from the animated film from 1989. Hopefully, they make some other changes as well.
Why does it have to be change 100% or none at all? Why? How do you know they simply liked the people they picked because they thought they were the best for the part? What is the acceptable ratio of changes for everyone to be satisfied?

That's the problem with people that make the woke or lazy argument. It's a no win situation. They will never be satisfied or it will never be acceptable.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remakes are lazy, too. I have no agenda at all just commenting on what others are talking about all over social media. My wife and most of my extended family are mixed and or non-white so I am not all caught up in whiteness as you seem to be implying. As I said - be creative and make some films for women and people of color rather than just taking existing properties and re-telling the same old stories, but this time with a more modern and inclusive cast.

Instead of rallying for a black James Bond, how about creating an original black spy character that's on his same level? Just one example.
Hey… maybe you live in the real world where executives WONT MAKE THAT MOVIE because AUDIENCES have spoken and unfortunately, IP is the only thing that consistently puts butts in seats.

And if Bond is CONSISTENTLY played by a MULTITUDE of different British actors, bitching about another BRITISH actor because his skin isn’t white is pathetic. Or are only White British Men actually White? Alternatively, if being a white British Male is so inherent to the character, why aren’t you complaining that the movies aren’t digging into British imperialism, which is a defining factor of the British White history?

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why does it have to be change 100% or none at all? Why? How do you know they simply liked the people they picked because they thought they were the best for the part? What is the acceptable ratio of changes for everyone to be satisfied?

That's the problem with people that make the woke or lazy argument. It's a no win situation. They will never be satisfied or it will never be acceptable.
Another great point. The assumption that a person got a job/role solely because they were "filling a quota" or a diversity hire is pretty insulting to them.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If the studio has the rights to a story then they can cast the characters however they want. If they change a character's race, gender, etc. I don't care. I very rarely dislike a movie because of the, to me, miscasting of a part IF the STORY is told well.

We don't go to the movie theaters as much as we used to for several reasons. Probably wouldn't go to this one and probably won't watch it on Disney+. Not because of the diversity in casting from the original stories, but because I saw enough of the Disney movies with my kids and grandkids. The Peter Pan mythology just doesn't appeal to me any longer.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey… maybe you live in the real world where executives WONT MAKE THAT MOVIE because AUDIENCES have spoken and unfortunately, IP is the only thing that consistently puts butts in seats.

And if Bond is CONSISTENTLY played by a MULTITUDE of different British actors, bitching about another BRITISH actor because his skin isn’t white is pathetic. Or are only White British Men actually White? Alternatively, if being a white British Male is so inherent to the character, why aren’t you complaining that the movies aren’t digging into British imperialism, which is a defining factor of the British White history?
Personally, I'd love to see Idris Elba as Bond I was just saying if people want to see a black spy you don't need to wait to take over that franchise. Come up with a spy tale/series featuring a black spy.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

And I don't recall any/many people insisting that ANY black British actor become Bond

They were listing Idris Elba as a British Male actor that would fit the Bond profile.

But I suppose Hugh Grant would be a more suitable Bond because he is white

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And I don't recall any/many people insisting that ANY black British actor become Bond

They were listing Idris Elba as a British Male actor that would fit the Bond profile.

But I suppose Hugh Grant would be a more suitable Bond because he is white
Many sites recommended their thoughts on black actors/actresses (not all British, either) who could be Bond.

Chiwetel Ejiofor, Mahershala Ali, Lashana Lynch, Regé-Jean Page, Damson Idris, Daniel Kaluuya, Aldis Hodge, John Boyega, Yahya Abdul Mateen II, Jacob Anderson, Jodie Turner-Smith, Kingsley Ben-Adir, Tosin Cole, Sope Dirisu, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Kirby Howell-Baptiste, Paapa Essiedu, etc. were some of the choices offered up.

Hugh Grant is too old and I honestly cannot see him in that physical of a role anyway. Not a good fit at all for Bond.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would love to see Idris Elba as Bond as well.
I would too but the producers have said it will take a minimum 10 year committment which is why it won't be someone like Idris at 50. They don't want a 60 year old Bond by the end. My guess is they go with someone in their 20 to 30's.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose