Peter King FMIA: reason for optimism?

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by Brak, Aug 19, 2019.

1. blindseyed

blindseyed I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita

Won't matter when our D gives up 30-35 a game

Cardsfaninlouky likes this.
  2. football karma

football karma formerly known as En Fuego

one thing i found interesting / hopeful:

the play he describes: Isabella on a jet sweep, all the motion to the left, quick pass to DJ on the right. We havent seen anything like that in a game

the closest thing we have seen to that in a game in the game 1 RPO where he threw in the flat to Larry Fitz

its been pretty straight up other than that

3. kerouac9

kerouac9 #Stiff4Kliff

I don't think that play happens in a real NFL game. You have four offensive players in the middle of the field? Maybe someone squirts outside, but I think it's more likely that a defender rolls over Justin Pugh and blows the whole thing up.

4. blindseyed

blindseyed I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita

Last night Terrell Davis said (paraphrase) KK is making it look he has some brand new revolutionary Offense that no one has seen and said it was silly to be making it so top secret since after a few games DCs will know it anyway
    Again I'm paraphrasing I can't find the exact quote

5. bojack

bojack Registered

28pts would put us at the 4th highest scoring offense in 2018. Since we were dead last in 2018 I see only room for improvement but I think going from last to top 5 in a single season is very optimistic. I would be happy with a 24pt avg as that would mean we have an above avg offense. I doubt our O is going outpace the D though. Last year we gave up 26 PPG. Unless the improves quite a bit I don't see how the O can make up for it to produce a winning season.

Cardsfaninlouky likes this.
  6. kerouac9

kerouac9 #Stiff4Kliff

The good news is that we can end up getting better on defense as the season goes along, as we'll be getting back two of perhaps our five best players on that unit after the break.

I don't know if our offense will be able to hang with other hyper-productive offenses — obviously, Coach Unicorn wasn't able to make it work at Texas Tech in the same way Mike Leach was able to. But there is a pressure on teams when you're asking them to score 30 points a game in the NFL. Some teams aren't designed to do that, and, at least in the short term, it works as a cheat code.

CardsSunsDbacks and daves like this.
  7. MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease Moderator Contributor

Totally agree. Even KK needs to work out the kinks as he transitions to the NFL. KK has never used a headset to call in plays before.

https://www.azcardinals.com/news/tu...f-kingsbury-kyler-murray-adjust-to-nfl-change

8. The Kraken

The Kraken Registered

It is not revolutionary, it is the interplay between the eligible receivers and how they react in space with regards to the defense and the relationship to each other's routes.

What I think the concern is, that coach K2 is worried that the opponent will chart plays and see tendencies and adjustments.

Example, "Y (sometimes "H") stick is bread and butter Air Raid play. The Chiefs use it all of the time, it forces the defense to react to the slot receiver's route and the QB reads that reaction and throws the ball to the player who is wide open or mismatched.

The slot "Y" runs a stick pattern, the outside playside receiver runs a go to clear, the backside outside receiver runs a dig, backside TE either blocks or runs a shallow pivot or hook that gives a layered look over the middle with the dig, and the back runs a flare or a wheel to the playside.

The QB reads the dig to give the Y time to run the stick, then reads the defense's reaction to the stick...***Here is the important part*** How the Y stems the route in the context of the coverage and at what depth the back circles out of the backfield can be charted and game-planned against. Tendencies can be analyzed and plays influenced.

I was the DC for a JV team that played against a school that ran the Air Raid...It was a long day for the defense, luckily we didn't have to worry about their QB pulling the ball and running...but I totally get why they are not advertising the offense.

9. splitsecond

splitsecond Registered

Man I love the air raid for this reason and frankly the counter to this is to chart the tendencies of your own team and go against them in playcalling. It’s not terribly difficult. It’s also why McVay can run variations of this so successfully because he has that insane memory and remembers every play he has ever called (allegedly).

10. Cardsfaninlouky

Cardsfaninlouky Registered

I Was going to add that defensive part, the points scored just sounded good enough to leave it out lol.

11. Cardiac

Cardiac Registered User

Doesn't every NFL team go vanilla in preseason to not give too much away?????????

The Packers with Rodgers have run the same Offense forever under McCarthy but still didn't show wrinkles they put in during the offseason.

To think that KK isn't doing the same thing and even to a bigger degree is simply looking to have doubts IMO.

CardsSunsDbacks and daves like this.
  12. Chopper0080

Chopper0080 Skeptical

There are paths to success and there are paths to failure in every career. I get frustrated when people choose to not acknowledge either of those two paths.

13. JeffGollin

JeffGollin Registered User

Translation - "KK's lame for not giving us inside info."

CardsSunsDbacks and Chopper0080 like this.
  14. fartblossom

fartblossom Registered

I really don’t know what to expect this season. The offensive line scares the hell out of me so does playing in a division with elite defensive coaches. I just have my doubts about Kingsbury as a coach and his offensive system transitioning to the NFL. Week 2 at Baltimore could be ugly.

15. GuernseyCard

GuernseyCard Registered

They are practising it, practising it, practising it, practising it - in practice!

CardsSunsDbacks likes this.