Pet Sematary

Release date: April 5, 2019
Studio: Paramount Pictures
Directors: Kevin Kolsch, Dennis Widmyer
MPAA Rating: N/A
Screenwriters: Jeff Buhler, David Kajganich
Genre: Horror

Starring: Jason Clarke, John Lithgow, Amy Seimetz

Plot Summary: An updated version of Stephen King's "Pet Sematary." The following is how the 1983 book is described:

"The road in front of Dr. Louis Creed's rural Maine home frequently claims the lives of neighborhood pets. Louis has recently moved from Chicago to Ludlow with his wife Rachel, their children and pet cat. Near their house, local children have created a cemetery for the dogs and cats killed by the steady stream of transports on the busy highway. Deeper in the woods lies another graveyard, an ancient Indian burial ground whose sinister properties Louis discovers when the family cat is killed."

Paramount brought the book to life in 1989 with a feature version adapted by King that starred Dale Midkiff, Denise Crosby and Fred Gwynne.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then why would you want to see a remake of it?

Oh I don't know, why do you watch more than one episode of a show? Why has south park been on for like 15 years? Why have I seen Slayer 10 times?

I never pounded the table for a re-imagining of Pet Semetary but I will gladly watch it if it is any good. Personally, I think Hellraiser is in more need of a reboot. With todays CGI it could be far more nightmarish than it was back then.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Oh I don't know, why do you watch more than one episode of a show? Why has south park been on for like 15 years? Why have I seen Slayer 10 times?

I never pounded the table for a re-imagining of Pet Semetary but I will gladly watch it if it is any good. Personally, I think Hellraiser is in more need of a reboot. With todays CGI it could be far more nightmarish than it was back then.

May Pinhead tear you into a thousand pieces! I'd actively picket theaters if they did that.

I get it, though. I mean, I personally don't get it--I'd LOATHE them remaking my favorite movies--but other folks think in other ways, and are up for anything new. I don't dig it, but I can respect it, BRR :) Except for Hellraiser. You leave that alone lol

Incidentally, Doug Bradley lives in the Pittsburgh area now, and is a lovely man.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
May Pinhead tear you into a thousand pieces! I'd actively picket theaters if they did that.

I get it, though. I mean, I personally don't get it--I'd LOATHE them remaking my favorite movies--but other folks think in other ways, and are up for anything new. I don't dig it, but I can respect it, BRR :) Except for Hellraiser. You leave that alone lol

Incidentally, Doug Bradley lives in the Pittsburgh area now, and is a lovely man.

I much prefer originals, The hellraiser thing is just a well, if you are going to sit here and reboot classics, thats one movie that could use a new paintjob and is a great story. Same with Semetary, its done so I hope its good and I like it. I never would have called for it.

Hellraiser has SO much potential and instead gets made for dvd garbage spewed out every few years.

Stout

Reaction score
I much prefer originals, The hellraiser thing is just a well, if you are going to sit here and reboot classics, thats one movie that could use a new paintjob and is a great story. Same with Semetary, its done so I hope its good and I like it. I never would have called for it.

Hellraiser has SO much potential and instead gets made for dvd garbage spewed out every few years.

Oh yeah, anything past Hellraiser 2 is hot garbage. I think they put them out mostly to keep the rights.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Remakes don’t bother me because if they don’t look good then I don’t see them, and if they do look good then I see them... amazing how that works... just positive and no negative.

Stout

Reaction score
Remakes don’t bother me because if they don’t look good then I don’t see them, and if they do look good then I see them... amazing how that works... just positive and no negative.

So if someone hung another Mona Lisa in the Louvre next to the original, it could be just as good--or better!--than the original? I mean, there can't possibly be a negative to it, right? lol

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, anything past Hellraiser 2 is hot garbage. I think they put them out mostly to keep the rights.

Hell on earth has a great concept that would be better served today than it was back then. Origins got shelved for whatever reason and I think was the vision it needs but didnt work out.

there was one I liked, not sure if you watched them all, it has something to do with a nightclub and opening the box. I remember very little about it as I probably watched it 20 years ago but I thought it was pretty creepy. I thought it was bloodline but I am sitting here going through the hellraiser movies right now and none of them are jumping out at me as the one I watched. Hell on earth apparently had nightclub stuff but I swear that is not the one.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
So if someone hung another Mona Lisa in the Louvre next to the original, it could be just as good--or better!--than the original? I mean, there can't possibly be a negative to it, right? lol
Bad example since the only way I could then see the original is to also see the fabrication. If some random dude wanted to open up an art exhibit with a remade Mona Lisa in his own gallery I could care less since no one is forcing me to see it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

agreed. A Star Is Born was a fantastic remake... same with Ocean's 11. Others, not so much.

Stout

Reaction score
Bad example since the only way I could then see the original is to also see the fabrication. If some random dude wanted to open up an art exhibit with a remade Mona Lisa in his own gallery I could care less since no one is forcing me to see it.

Nah, you said just positive, no negative. No remake is a bad remake just because you don't have to see it? Blah

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Completely agree. I am not automatically against remakes because some have been fantastic. However, I do raise an eyebrow each time asking myself is this necessary? I am a much bigger fan of "next generation" approaches to old franchises.

P.S. Agree the art example was a really really poor example.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
I thought this remake was quite enjoyable, better than I expected. In many ways I liked it better than the original. The Zombie cat is a scene stealer.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I finally watched this with low expectations, loved the first, this might be good kind of thing.

Finished it and though it was fantastic. The twists were enough to keep me surprised. The sister scenes, I dont remember any of that in the original but its been a long time, were creepy as all hell. That could probably be its own movie on its own.

Anyway, well done. Much enjoyed.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave