Personal space in lines

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by Russ Smith, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

I am pretty certain this isn't just me but it's also the older I get the more it bugs me. What is it about a line that causes people to freak out and constantly push forward? We tend to do our groceries on Sat morning and we split it between2 stores, Sprouts for fruits and veggies, and Lucky for the rest. Both are bad but Sprouts is worse, people are so aggressive in the store I almost want to hide.

But in both situations what drives me nuts is the way people act in line at the checkout, pushing forward while you're unloading your cart onto the conveyor belt, pushing forward while you're standing there waiting for them to take the person(s) in front of you. 2 weeks ago at Lucky my girlfriend was in front of me standing there but not bagging(they have baggers) and apparently the lady behind me was unhappy so she moved forward and hit my leg with her cart. Not very hard but it was annoying. I turned and looked at her but said nothing, she clearly knew she'd hit me but didn't say a thing. The checker called for a bagger and at that point my GF picked up a bag to start , I was paying with the card in the chip machine and in moving a few inches forward to do that, the unhappy lady again moved forward to take up those inches, and promptly banged into me again. I again looked at her, this time much longer, and again she said nothing. The checker by then seemed to realize what was happening because she pretty obviously said something about thank you for your patience to the other people in line which I took as a veiled stop being pushy to the lady behind me.

I see this so often. So is it real, or it just me? My girlfriend saw it happening too and knows how I feel, she thinks it's both, I'm extra sensitive to this behavior, and that due to crowding and stress in the Bay Area, it's more common now.

I strongly suspect it's a claustrophobia thing you get into this line where you can't go anywhere and I think people start to freak out and try going forward? We actually saw an older guy in a drive through in Sacramento apparently freak out and rear end the car in front of him twice. The first time we just assumed his foot slipped, but he did it again and the look on his face made it apparent he was VERY stressed out about something.

jf-08 and Southpaw like this.
  2. MrYeahbut

MrYeahbut rilly bruh, rilly?? Contributor

What kills me is people who crowd in line to board a plane. Dude, if you have assigned seating just relax, ok? I get it with Southwest Airlines because it a free for all. Seems like every inch matters to some people.

jf-08 likes this.
  3. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

You and me both. I for one day want to work for the airline and be the guy who has the power to say all you people standing up front blocking the boarding, all of you take 5 steps to your left, you will be boarding the plane LAST.

it's all about overhead bins, they want to get on the plane early so they get an overhead bin first and cram all their stuff they're not supposed to carryon in there. My dad gets that too he just can't wait to get on the plane. I get so angry at all the people who know they're not in the boarding group that I start complaining and then my GF gets mad at me!

There's just something about a line. What I found intriguing is here in Sunnyvale there's a very large Indian population, they don't seem to have this problem at all. I just wonder if maybe India is so crowded they're just all used to waiting in lines so they get to Sunnyvale, CA and lines that drive lots of people here nuts, have no effect on them?

4. Southpaw

Southpaw Provocateur aka Wallyburger Contributor

I just back up. If they object I say " oh, sorry I thought you were trying to embrace ( I used a nice word ) me ".

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  5. puckhead

puckhead Waxing Gibbous Contributor

I can't say I've ever experienced this personally, but I know I would sure have some fun with it if I did. :hulk: