Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Peppermint

Release date: September 7, 2018 (wide)
Studio: STXfilms, Lakeshore Entertainment
Director: Pierre Morel
MPAA Rating: R (for strong violence and language throughout)
Screenwriter: Chad St. John
Genre: Thriller, Action

Starring: Jennifer Garner, John Ortiz, Juan Pablo Raba, John Gallagher Jr., Annie Ilonzeh, Richard Cabral

Plot Summary: Peppermint is an action thriller which tells the story of young mother Riley North (Garner) who awakens from a coma after her husband and daughter are killed in a brutal attack on the family. When the system frustratingly shields the murderers from justice, Riley sets out to transform herself from citizen to urban guerilla. Channeling her frustration into personal motivation, she spends years in hiding honing her mind, body and spirit to become an unstoppable force – eluding the underworld, the LAPD and the FBI- as she methodically delivers her personal brand of justice.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who are you trying to convince?

No one. Just looks like one of those movies that the critics blow apart but the fans like anyway.

Sounds like she is fine in it but the movie/plot is a bit weak and unoriginal.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I'm glad I didn't look that up before I saw the movie, or I'd have never gone to see it. Remember that audiences frickin' love all the Michael Bay "Explosion!" Transformer flicks. Then again, I guess I wish I HAD looked it up on RT first, because this movie was simply atrocious! Garner was fine in the action sequences--she did a hell of a job there, even though some of them made little sense--and everything else was...well, I can't say a train wreck, because that wouldn't do it justice. It was multiple train wrecks happening consecutively. Stilted acting, cardboard cutout characters, plot holes, horrific writing, eye-rolling plot twists...you name it, it was in there. Here's my favorite **** of here moment:

She finds out about the bad guy's lab, which is in an old warehouse. They rig it to blow up with her inside. She gets there--has NO idea that there's a trap, let alone that the bad guys have a car stashed around the block somewhere, or what they look like--and starts walking around. She finds the bomb just before it goes off, which allows her to get underground to save herself. Boom, bomb goes off. Bad guys get in the car and leave. She drags her ass out of a sewer grate, steals a car--AND CHASES THE BAD GUYS BACK TO THE BOSS. Um, excuse me, how the hell did she do that? She doesn't know who to chase, where they are to find them, and they're like ten minutes ahead of her.

Instead of using the plot point that she's been after the boss for months as the reason she found the boss, they do THIS. I laughed out loud.

I liked the opening scene, the stuff with the blonde biotch was funny, there was a really good visual with a subliminal message at the amusement park, and a few good action bits, but Out for Justice was a far better revenge movie overall.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm glad I didn't look that up before I saw the movie, or I'd have never gone to see it. Remember that audiences frickin' love all the Michael Bay "Explosion!" Transformer flicks. Then again, I guess I wish I HAD looked it up on RT first, because this movie was simply atrocious! Garner was fine in the action sequences--she did a hell of a job there, even though some of them made little sense--and everything else was...well, I can't say a train wreck, because that wouldn't do it justice. It was multiple train wrecks happening consecutively. Stilted acting, cardboard cutout characters, plot holes, horrific writing, eye-rolling plot twists...you name it, it was in there. Here's my favorite **** of here moment:

She finds out about the bad guy's lab, which is in an old warehouse. They rig it to blow up with her inside. She gets there--has NO idea that there's a trap, let alone that the bad guys have a car stashed around the block somewhere, or what they look like--and starts walking around. She finds the bomb just before it goes off, which allows her to get underground to save herself. Boom, bomb goes off. Bad guys get in the car and leave. She drags her ass out of a sewer grate, steals a car--AND CHASES THE BAD GUYS BACK TO THE BOSS. Um, excuse me, how the hell did she do that? She doesn't know who to chase, where they are to find them, and they're like ten minutes ahead of her.

Instead of using the plot point that she's been after the boss for months as the reason she found the boss, they do THIS. I laughed out loud.

I liked the opening scene, the stuff with the blonde biotch was funny, there was a really good visual with a subliminal message at the amusement park, and a few good action bits, but Out for Justice was a far better revenge movie overall.

Stout is off his rocker!!!! This was fun as hell!! Worth every penny of the admission!!! :)

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I liked it, but there were a lot of little issues I had with the movie. Taken one-by-one, they aren't that big a deal, but after a few, the flaws become more and more visible and hard to ignore.

Loved Jennifer Garner, though. She still has it and hope she does more action movies in the future. I can see her be a female Liam Neeson.

Stout

Reaction score
I liked it, but there were a lot of little issues I had with the movie. Taken one-by-one, they aren't that big a deal, but after a few, the flaws become more and more visible and hard to ignore.

Loved Jennifer Garner, though. She still has it and hope she does more action movies in the future. I can see her be a female Liam Neeson.

She'd need to be way less wooden in her non-action bits, but yeah, in the action department, she was good.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
She'd need to be way less wooden in her non-action bits, but yeah, in the action department, she was good.
In this particular movie, there wasn’t much of an opportunity for it. I would have liked to have seen her do more of the “Equalizer” stuff. Like how did she make skid row so safe? No explanation there.

Stout

Reaction score
In this particular movie, there wasn’t much of an opportunity for it. I would have liked to have seen her do more of the “Equalizer” stuff. Like how did she make skid row so safe? No explanation there.

Yeah, good point on the skid row stuff. I didn't in the least buy into the loving family--everyone was just going through the motions there--so it didn't set the rest up well for me. Plus, a frickin' 6th grader can write a better script than that. Just disgraceful.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I want to see a movie called Taken . . . and Taken Back! Where Liam and Garner go head-to-head as divorced parents kidnapping and rekidnapping their kid back and forth from each other.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Spoiler on the spoiler:

Not that it was a great movie or anything, but she saw the bomb because she saw the tripwire. She knew there was a bomb at that point and started moving/running for her exit, which is why they saw her flash in front of a window and detonated it remotely. The truck passed the manhole just as she was coming up. I think she noticed the truck from before, as it was outside the warehouse.

:)

Stout

Reaction score
Spoiler on the spoiler:

Not that it was a great movie or anything, but she saw the bomb because she saw the tripwire. She knew there was a bomb at that point and started moving/running for her exit, which is why they saw her flash in front of a window and detonated it remotely. The truck passed the manhole just as she was coming up. I think she noticed the truck from before, as it was outside the warehouse.

Well...

Yeah, of course she saw the trip wire and then the bomb; that wasn't the issue. She absolutely didn't notice anything out of sorts before going on. I mean, if you want to fill in the swiss-cheese hole on your own, okay. The truck was quite a ways from the scene and already calling their boss by the time she got out of the manhole cover. So...yeah.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spoiler on the spoiler:

She must have rolled a 20 on her Detect Traps Skill and her Wand of Enemy Detection must have been fully charged.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave