Pelicans @ Suns Tuesday Playoff game thread 4-19-2022 - Game 2

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On to game 2 of the playoff series on Tuesday between the Suns and the Pelicans.

It will again be played at Footprint center in Phoenix.

Game 3 and 4 will be played at the Smoothie King Center in New Orleans.

The game will be televised on Bally Sports Arizona and TNT.

Start time will be 7 p.m. Arizona time.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Maybe the Pels will prove me wrong, but I think game 1 was their opportunity to hit us with something unexpected and they really didn’t. I suspect the Suns will eventually wear them down mentally and run away with the series. I’m guessing this will be a sweep, but maybe the Pels can take one of their games at home.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Maybe the Pels will prove me wrong, but I think game 1 was their opportunity to hit us with something unexpected and they really didn’t. I suspect the Suns will eventually wear them down mentally and run away with the series. I’m guessing this will be a sweep, but maybe the Pels can take one of their games at home.
Yeah when they cut it to 6, that was their chance to try and steal one. They got our attention and our guys will be better, specifically our bench and defensive rebounding.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Willie Green is not going to let the Pelicans quit.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns might want to play some small lineups against the Pelicans as a change-up. The Clippers did this successfully during a run in the play-in. It allows for a quicker defense, usually better shooting and helps negate the Pelicans size. The trick is knowing when to bring back the big men. I don't particularly like it but it usually gives the Pelicans problems.

Larry Nance Jr. is an issue with the above. He can rebound and score as well.

Even with Valanciunas in the game the Suns have to make him move and tire him out.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The Suns might want to play some small lineups against the Pelicans as a change-up. The Clippers did this successfully during a run in the play-in. It allows for a quicker defense, usually better shooting and helps negate the Pelicans size. The trick is knowing when to bring back the big men. I don't particularly like it but it usually gives the Pelicans problems.

Larry Nance Jr. is an issue with the above. He can rebound and score as well.

Even with Valanciunas in the game the Suns have to make him move and tire him out.
Can’t play small ball with Jonas in there. He will crush smaller players in the post and they won’t hesitate going to him.

The issue with going small against their small is, as you acknowledge, nance. Because most of small ball “bigs” aren’t great ball handlers they can’t take him off the dribble and he’s athletic enough to get out on shooters.

What we’ve done - almost always playing a traditional center - has worked for two years running and worked last night. Don’t fix what isn’t broken now.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can’t play small ball with Jonas in there. He will crush smaller players in the post and they won’t hesitate going to him.

The issue with going small against their small is, as you acknowledge, nance. Because most of small ball “bigs” aren’t great ball handlers they can’t take him off the dribble and he’s athletic enough to get out on shooters.

What we’ve done - almost always playing a traditional center - has worked for two years running and worked last night. Don’t fix what isn’t broken now.

I'm talking about using small ball as a change up, not going away from the Suns strength with Ayton and McGee. The simple reason to do it is that it works and makes the opponent make adjustments.

Actually it forces Jonas out of the game because he can't be as effective with smaller, quicker lineups. See Clippers.

However, the Pelicans will counter with Nance Jr. but there is always going to be a tradeoff. Crowder, Craig and Cam Johnson have to do a better job of rebounding.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty says Deandre Ayton is fine today.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like the Pelicans are content with their lineup for now.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Pelicans have more than enough talent to beat the Suns particularly on any given night. They are talented. All one has to do is go down their roster. McCollum, Valanciunas, Ingram and Hayes are starters. Also they have Nance Jr., Alvarado, Graham and Murphy the III coming off the bench.

The Suns can't just show up and beat this team. They have to bring their A game.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The Pelicans have more than enough talent to beat the Suns particularly on any given night. They are talented. All one has to do is go down their roster. McCollum, Valanciunas, Ingram and Hayes are starters. Also they have Nance Jr., Alvarado, Graham and Murphy the III coming off the bench.

The Suns can't just show up and beat this team. They have to bring their A game.
I'm not sure why you feel the need to point that out. Of course they need to bring their A game. But their A game is better than the Pelican's A game. Reduce the rebound discrepancy and the series is over.

Not saying the Pelicans aren't a talented team, but we are a lot better than them.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No changes on the injury report for both teams.

Zion Williamson and Kira Lewis Jr. are out for Pelicans and Dario Saric is out for the Suns.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Pelicans are so desperate that they had to get Foster AND Brothers? JFC

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose