Pelicans @ Suns Tuesday Playoff game thread 4-19-2022 - Game 2

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
This the same guy that was wrong on cp3 last year in the lakers series.

It looks like Book has a hitch when he walking in that clip there, meaning he’s trying to hide the severity.
That's quite a leap.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I liked Chris Boucher as well. Robert Covington would have helped too.
I think Covington is kind of just a better crowder. Jae is 6’6 and Covington is 6’7. They both started as SF and became swing forwards. Neither is really a PF. Boucher is one I hadn’t considered that may have been a nice fit with this squad.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
One adjustment that should help is starting Cam J in place of Booker. That would help even out the size discrepancy and cover for some of the scoring we'll miss while Booker is out. I think it'll be a little easier to attack the glass or box out with 3 forwards out there with Ayton and Paul.

I'd say we should run more to wear Jonas down but this isn't really a running team, at least with Paul at the helm. Running could also hurt us on the boards.

I think we'll be fine but knew this series wasn't going to be as easy as some predicted. The Pelicans are much better than their record indicates and Willie Green has a deep understanding of our team and players. It's going to be a fight. Round 2 will be easier than this. We matchup with Dallas and Utah much better than the Pelicans.
Yup. Since acquisition of McCollum, when the entire team is healthy (sans zion) they’ve been 9-3. That’s a good team with a good coach on a (hot streak 8-4 in last 12).

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know you were one of the people who didn't discount New Orleans. They're a bad matchup for us.

I'm not worried about when Nance Jr comes in. I think our starters will need to play a little more, primarily Cam J, and that will keep Nance Jr from having any real matchup advantage. Rotate in Craig for Crowder and Cam J and Shamet for Bridges, with Payne for CP3. Stick with McGee for Ayton also.

I'd actually try and get Payne and Shamet in together whenever CP3 sits. Let them split PG duties and run when they're in.

I don't think it'll be that hard to overcome the Pelicans in New Orleans, we're the best road team in the league and CP3 seems to shine in New Orleans also. As long as we win game 3, I'm happy. That should give Book about 5-6 days of rest because winning game 3 should let him sit out game 4. If we come back 2-2 then so be it. I don't see us dropping 2 of the final 3 and can't see them losing this series.

The Pelicans are good but lack experience and I think they'll be overconfident in game 3.

I think I would start Shamet in Booker's place but have a quick trigger and pull Crowder if he is off. I don't like too many changes to a lineup that has been successful all season.

Pairing Holiday and Payne might be effective off the bench at guard providing more quickness and scoring punch. I like the two point guard idea.

Bottom line, if the Suns don't play with energy they lose. It wouldn't hurt to give Biyombo some playing time and see what he can bring.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
yeah... I wouldn't be surprised if he's out the rest of the series.

Nah, if he is out for "the series" I think it means we win in 5 or 6 without him. If we end up down 3-1, then I think he is back for game 5, for better or worse.

If he played through a hamstring injury in 3 finals games last year then I don't see him sitting out an elimination game, unless he somehow makes it worse in the interim.

The fact that he joined the team on the trip to New Orleans makes me think he is hoping to play one of these next two games, although, the team will undoubtedly want to be cautious.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ayton was a full on beast in that Portland game. He's going to have to beast out at least once it the next two games if we're going to steal back HCA.

Agreed 100%. With Booker out, Ayton needs to step up. There are 25-30 points lacking, a butt load of set plays for one guy that are out the window. Ayton needs to on the same page as Paul and Payne, pick, roll, seal out, box out and fill up the damn stat sheet.

I don't care if it is one handed finesse shots or 2 handed slams, just get in the series DeAndre!

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Been on the Suns playoff injury roller coaster as long as I can remember. Started with Ceballos in '93 or something, the year we met Michael Jordan in the Finals. Then off course Joe Johnson smashing his face, CP3 last year, too many to mention. So yeah, I'm not getting riled up. It's just basketball and I'll be a Suns fan regardless of how this plays out, but right now it's just a bit too painful to follow too closely for me. So... Go Suns, yeah.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup. Since acquisition of McCollum, when the entire team is healthy (sans zion) they’ve been 9-3. That’s a good team with a good coach on a (hot streak 8-4 in last 12).
This is not a typical 8th seed. Had this team been together? They likely would have been a higher seed Zion or not.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

And Larry Nance Jr. could well be starting for the Suns at power forward if they had found a way to acquire him.