Pelicans @ Suns Sunday Playoff game thread 4-17-2022 - Game 1

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why is everyone complaining about the rebounds? The Pelicans had 20 more offensive rebounds than the Suns. They also missed 23 more shots than the Suns. Lots of opportunities for offensive rebounds when you miss 2/3 of your shots.

The problem is most nights when a team gives up 20 more rebounds to an opponent it ends up as a loss.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, isn't the goal to make the Pels miss shots? It would be great for us if ANY team misses 78% of their shots. But that will create offensive rebound opportunities that we need to deny them.

If the goal is to get the other team to miss 2/3 of their shots (which it should be), then you have to make sure you can defensive rebound. We couldn't do that last night.
Suffocating defense often leads to missed rebounds. The same D that makes a shot difficult often places you out of position for rebounds. Its just the way the game works.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Why is everyone complaining about the rebounds? The Pelicans had 20 more offensive rebounds than the Suns. They also missed 23 more shots than the Suns. Lots of opportunities for offensive rebounds when you miss 2/3 of your shots.
But those lead to like 19 more shot attempts for them. Yes they missed a lot but they got a lot more because we didn’t finish the defense by corralling they rebound. That’s how you finish defense on a possession.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Suffocating defense often leads to missed rebounds. The same D that makes a shot difficult often places you out of position for rebounds. Its just the way the game works.
To a degree, yes. To the tune of 25 offensive rebounds? That places too much pressure on your defense because it is literally 25 additional possessions (other than tips - Jonas had a lot of tips, but I don’t know how many altogeyher) you have to defend. Snaring the defensive rebound is the final component to a good defensive possession.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think the concern is when the Suns lose it’s usually because of 2 factors: The opponent shooting lights out from 3 or getting absolutely killed on the glass resulting in less shot attempts for us.

I’m happy with the win but the Bucks for example got wayyy more shot attempts than us during the Finals last year. Had we shrinked the gap we’d have a title. It’s the little things that can cause the biggest difference.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I hate how every time Cp3 has a good game it is somehow twisted into a reason why Book should not be considered an MVP candidate.

i agree that it's not valid to detract from Booker's rep based on what Paul does. what doesn't help, however, is that there were quite a few superstar, mvp type performances around the league to start these playoffs, while Booker's was forgettable, especially in the 2nd half.

but we all know what he can do. and i expect that what he will do will be even better than what he did in last year's playoffs.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really happy ayton healthy suns def need him and mcgee rdy for other bigmen in poffs esp against the dreaded greek gianis ugh

Was sooooo hopin bulls take gm 1 ahhh well

I was worried about the shoulder to Ayton's head as well. Actually I still am until I see the injury report.

The Bulls were playing so well earlier in the season when DeMar DeRozan was playing at another level.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I was worried about the shoulder to Ayton's head as well. Actually I still am until I see the injury report.

The Bulls were playing so well earlier in the season when DeMar DeRozan was playing at another level.
Are you implying the Bulls and Derozan fell off due to a Derozan concussion?

Edit: I think I misunderstood your previous post as one subject, rather than two separate subjects.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you implying the Bulls and Derozan fell off due to a Derozan concussion?

Edit: I think I misunderstood your previous post as one subject, rather than two separate subjects.

Yes, I was addressing two different subjects.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Because worst case they should get half those rebounds on their missed shots.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If this team squeaks past Dallas, we lose to GS, Milwaukee, and Miami in 6 or less.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose