Pelicans @ Suns Sunday Playoff game thread 4-17-2022 - Game 1

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think the Clippers are a much tougher foe, even without George. These Pelicans are downy soft.

yes, the Clips are tougher. and Paul may have only missed our first game. and with him and their new additions, they are more like the 3rd or 4th seed in the West than the 8th seed. The Pels are the true 8th seed. and we earned them in the 1st round

Last edited:

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
In each meeting against the Pels, we were missing either Ayton or CP3 and went 3-1. Make quick work

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I'm curious as to what the matchups are going to be, NOP has been starting ultra long lineups with McCollum (6'3), Herb Jones (6'7), Ingram (6'8), Jaxson Hayes (6'11) and Valanciunas (6'11).
CP3 on CJ, Book on Herb, Mikal on Ingram, Crowder on Hayes and Ayton on Val. The real question is how that lineup will fair against our offense. I think they will struggle mightily.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
CP3 on CJ, Book on Herb, Mikal on Ingram, Crowder on Hayes and Ayton on Val. The real question is how that lineup will fair against our offense. I think they will struggle mightily.
It’s gonna be an interesting feel out process. Willie Green knows all of our plays lol. It’s like we’re playing a younger, less talented version of us. But don’t be mistaken, the Pelicans aren’t going to roll over.

CP3 shouldn’t guard CJ all the time. We’ll probably put him on Herb and let Book try it out first. If we contain BI and Valanciunas, we’ll be fine. But DA and Mikal need to play big. Suns should win in 5 but this by no means will be a cakewalk series.

Honestly, I’m glad we’re playing the Pels. Let’s us work on running our stuff versus a team that’s eerily similar to us. Buckle up

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
First team to 16 wins the whole enchilada.

I hope our guys are not going to look past any team, including this Pelicans team that has some grit and talent.

But we need to get to 16 with as few games as possible to stay fresh. As a fan, I am hoping for blowouts in our favor every game. No games off. Sweeps in every series. One game at a time.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It’s gonna be an interesting feel out process. Willie Green knows all of our plays lol. It’s like we’re playing a younger, less talented version of us. But don’t be mistaken, the Pelicans aren’t going to roll over.

CP3 shouldn’t guard CJ all the time. We’ll probably put him on Herb and let Book try it out first. If we contain BI and Valanciunas, we’ll be fine. But DA and Mikal need to play big. Suns should win in 5 but this by no means will be a cakewalk series.

Honestly, I’m glad we’re playing the Pels. Let’s us work on running our stuff versus a team that’s eerily similar to us. Buckle up

Good post. Echoes my sentiments regarding matchups. Should be a 5 game series.

I just hope the team comes out focused and ready. Dropping one of the first two home games would suck.

I'm glad we're playing a larger team because I think this team needs to get that experience in. Going big against us last year was our undoing but I think that's been addressed with the personnel moves and it shouldn't be an issue now.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again, lots of respect for Tyronn Lue. He had the Clippers playing awesome defense without their stars.

They are an exhausting team to play.

Last edited:

zett

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Why do you want the Pels to win? Especially since Paul George will be out for some time?
1st off we have no idea how long he will be out, and I just think the pels are a better match up for us. I just think the clips are more experienced, and a deeper team.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'm curious as to what the matchups are going to be, NOP has been starting ultra long lineups with McCollum (6'3), Herb Jones (6'7), Ingram (6'8), Jaxson Hayes (6'11) and Valanciunas (6'11).
I know they list Ingram at 6’8, but have a hard time believing it. Batum is listed at 6’8 too and Ingram seemed a good 2-3 inches taller than him.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know they list Ingram at 6’8, but have a hard time believing it. Batum is listed at 6’8 too and Ingram seemed a good 2-3 inches taller than him.

The measurements are all barefooted now. Before they'd take players word for it but now it's an official measurement done by the league. Shoes play a role, of course, and some brands/designs will make more of a difference than others.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
1st off we have no idea how long he will be out, and I just think the pels are a better match up for us. I just think the clips are more experienced, and a deeper team.
It's amazing how there are 2 sides to this on this board -- there are those like you that think the Pels are a better matchup and another contingent that think the Pels have a huge advantage because of their size.

Personally, I'm ok with facing either of them. The Pelicans have size, but we've played against big teams and won. So while I agree with you that we should be able to take care of business against them, I'm not sure they are a "better" matchup than the Clippers.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I really don't like facing Willie Green in round 1. If we were more removed from his time as Monty's lead assistant then I wouldn't think about it as much but this team is virtually identical to what he coached. We've added Shamet and McGee and Shamet might not play so the rotation the Suns use will be very familiar to him, which allows for him to prep his team better.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It's amazing how there are 2 sides to this on this board -- there are those like you that think the Pels are a better matchup and another contingent that think the Pels have a huge advantage because of their size.

Personally, I'm ok with facing either of them. The Pelicans have size, but we've played against big teams and won. So while I agree with you that we should be able to take care of business against them, I'm not sure they are a "better" matchup than the Clippers.
It’s a small sample size, but since acquiring McCollum when he and Ingram play they win at an 80% rate (8-2). We shouldn’t be surprised if this is a tougher series than expected.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
It’s a small sample size, but since acquiring McCollum when he and Ingram play they win at an 80% rate (8-2). We shouldn’t be surprised if this is a tougher series than expected.
Oh it’s the playoffs so it’s going to be tough. But I still don’t see the Pels winning more than 2 games at the most.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave