Pelicans @ Suns Friday game thread 2-25-2022

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We don’t need to add anybody we just need to get healthy. Paul, Payne and Holiday were out that’s our top 3 point guards.

Booker cannot play point. He just can’t.

This was only our second loss in like 6 weeks

The Suns need help now. They could certainly use a replacement for Payton.

Also there is no guarantee the three point guards you mention get and stay healthy although hopefully this is not the case.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not looking for high end point guards although I would gladly take one.

A guard like Augustin, Wananmaker or Satoranský (going to the Wizards) would help the Suns even on a 10-day contract.

Mostly I'm looking for a guard that will buy some time for the Suns point guards to get healthy. If the Suns find a replacement for Payton so much the better.
I just don't agree. We need someone that can actually earn his minutes, that's no longer Augustin and never was Wanamaker. Elfrid is better than we've seen but those two at this stage of their careers are no more than this year's version of Elfrid and we need better than that.

And it's my opinion that most teams bring in a player on a 10 day contract to fill out their roster primarily for practice sake. It's unlikely that anyone willing to take a 10 day contract is actually good enough to make a positive difference in team results.

If we can get a point guard that can clearly beat out Elfrid, I'm all for it but I think we have to wait for buyouts for that kind of player to become available. And if we need another body for practice, I'm all for a short term signing, I just don't expect that player to get any game time or more importantly, to help us if he is forced into playing.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns need help now. They could certainly use a replacement for Payton.

Also there is no guarantee the three point guards you mention get and stay healthy although hopefully this is not the case.

There’s no guarantee anybody stays healthy.

I think once Payne gets back we will be fine

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just don't agree. We need someone that can actually earn his minutes, that's no longer Augustin and never was Wanamaker. Elfrid is better than we've seen but those two at this stage of their careers are no more than this year's version of Elfrid and we need better than that.

And it's my opinion that most teams bring in a player on a 10 day contract to fill out their roster primarily for practice sake. It's unlikely that anyone willing to take a 10 day contract is actually good enough to make a positive difference in team results.

If we can get a point guard that can clearly beat out Elfrid, I'm all for it but I think we have to wait for buyouts for that kind of player to become available. And if we need another body for practice, I'm all for a short term signing, I just don't expect that player to get any game time or more importantly, to help us if he is forced into playing.

Bismack Biyombo was on a 10-day contract before he signed on for the season. There are many more players on these type contracts that have made teams.

The last time I saw Wanamaker and Augustin they were both better than Payton. However, the above two players are simply examples.

There are probably more buyouts and waivers to come but a 10-day contract does not lock the Suns into a guaranteed contract. It simply provides immediate help.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bismack Biyombo was on a 10-day contract before he signed on for the season. There are many more players on these type contracts that have made teams.

The last time I saw Wanamaker and Augustin they were both better than Payton. However, the above two players are simply examples.

There are probably more buyouts and waivers to come but a 10-day contract does not lock the Suns into a guaranteed contract. It simply provides immediate help.

How long is Payne and Holiday out?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Biyombo had been out of the game but is still in his prime so it's not like it would be signing the guys you mentioned. And I've watched Augustin and Wanamaker play, I can't say they've ever been much better than Payton although it's not like they're much worse either.

The point is that Payton isn't playing much because he isn't helping much, those guys would fill that same Payton role - mostly useless except every 4th game or so when they elevate their game to slightly better than horrible. Maybe they'd be a slight improvement over Elfrid (I doubt it,but maybe) but I think the risk of disrupting team chemistry is far more likely than them filling a beneficial role for us.

We agree that we have a real need. Payton is our 3rd string PG and is playing like he isn't quite good enough for that spot. But there aren't many 3rd string PGs in the league that actually could come in this late in the season and help us enough to offset the loss of CP3 to any real degree. I'll be thrilled if we can find one, I just don't think it's likely and I'm very unimpressed by the few names I've seen that are available.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Biyombo had been out of the game but is still in his prime so it's not like it would be signing the guys you mentioned. And I've watched Augustin and Wanamaker play, I can't say they've ever been much better than Payton although it's not like they're much worse either.

Biyombo was an example of a player on a 10-day contract making a team and not being merely being a practice player.

I said Augustin and Wanamaker were examples of players that are available. I'm sure there are more.

The point is that Payton isn't playing much because he isn't helping much, those guys would fill that same Payton role - mostly useless except every 4th game or so when they elevate their game to slightly better than horrible. Maybe they'd be a slight improvement over Elfrid (I doubt it,but maybe) but I think the risk of disrupting team chemistry is far more likely than them filling a beneficial role for us.

We agree that we have a real need. Payton is our 3rd string PG and is playing like he isn't quite good enough for that spot. But there aren't many 3rd string PGs in the league that actually could come in this late in the season and help us enough to offset the loss of CP3 to any real degree. I'll be thrilled if we can find one, I just don't think it's likely and I'm very unimpressed by the few names I've seen that are available.

I wish the Suns didn't feel the need to play Payton but here we are. And if the Suns don't get Payne and Holiday back soon we are likely to see more of him.

If you read the "Around the NBA thread" you will see other teams are bringing in players for a look. That's all I'm asking.

I'm sure you haven't forgotten the Suns got Cam Payne out of the G-League.

On the bright side, I think James Jones is always looking to improve the team so I think he is always talking to other teams and agents. He is a lot more active than I originally thought which he proved at the trade deadline.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Biyombo was an example of a player on a 10-day contract making a team and not being merely being a practice player.

I said Augustin and Wanamaker were examples of players that are available. I'm sure there are more.

I wish the Suns didn't feel the need to play Payton but here we are. And if the Suns don't get Payne and Holiday back soon we are likely to see more of him.

If you read the "Around the NBA thread" you will see other teams are bringing in players for a look. That's all I'm asking.

I'm sure you haven't forgotten the Suns got Cam Payne out of the G-League.

On the bright side, I think James Jones is always looking to improve the team so I think he is always talking to other teams and agents. He is a lot more active than I thought which he proved at the trade deadline.
I'm okay with bringing someone in, even on a 10 day contract. I just don't believe the odds are in our favor that it will do us any good, whatsoever. Most 10 day contracts don't get turned into longer term signings for a reason. I'm holding out hope for a buyout veteran that has something left in the tank.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm okay with bringing someone in, even on a 10 day contract. I just don't believe the odds are in our favor that it will do us any good, whatsoever. Most 10 day contracts don't get turned into longer term signings for a reason. I'm holding out hope for a buyout veteran that has something left in the tank.

I'm firm believer in trying and I think James Jones does an excellent job of keeping his eye on veteran talent. IMO, this improves the odds.

I simply don't see much downside in 10-day contracts and two-way contracts.

We agree finding a buyout player would probably be the best scenario but I'm not relying on it.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With Payne and Holiday both due back soon it would seem difficult to get anyone to sign here to play point. Even if we cut Payton that player will be glued to the bench once other players get healthy.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With Payne and Holiday both due back soon it would seem difficult to get anyone to sign here to play point. Even if we cut Payton that player will be glued to the bench once other players get healthy.

However, what if one of Payne or Holiday doesn't come back or gets injured again.

If I remember stats (it's been awhile) the odds of getting another injury are still the same as not getting another injury.

There is no guarantee a player who replaces Payton will be glued to the bench. Reality has a way of messing up the best laid plans.