Supporting Member
Reaction score
Peacock: NBC's new streaming service

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
rebooting the office, ***** brewster and battlestar apparently.

No thanks.

They also spent over $500 million to buy the office back from netflix.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mr. Robot is fantastic so my hopes are high for this reboot/spinoff whatever.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Battlestar reboot? I'm listening. :grabs:

I absolutely loved about 60% of that series and despised the rest but yeah, I've been "listening" too. But now, knowing the role that Sam Esmail will have in the development of this show, I've gone stone deaf.

I've read a lot of reviews so I'm sure Mr Robot is a great show for it's target audience but it delivered (for me) the biggest TV letdown I've ever suffered. The first 10 minutes of the first episode are great but nothing else worked for me (only watched season 1). And looking at NBC's list of announced reboots and highlighted shows makes it clear I'll have no reason to spend my money on this service.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I absolutely loved about 60% of that series and despised the rest but yeah, I've been "listening" too. But now, knowing the role that Sam Esmail will have in the development of this show, I've gone stone deaf.

I've read a lot of reviews so I'm sure Mr Robot is a great show for it's target audience but it delivered (for me) the biggest TV letdown I've ever suffered. The first 10 minutes of the first episode are great but nothing else worked for me (only watched season 1). And looking at NBC's list of announced reboots and highlighted shows makes it clear I'll have no reason to spend my money on this service.

I don't think there will be an additional charge if you have traditional cable/satellite if what I'm reading is correct. Obviously that won't alleviate your other concerns.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
NBC/Universal doesn't appear to be as flush with content as Disney and AT&T will be with their offerings but they do have some nice properties like DreamWorks Animation and Illumination Studios which will be strong for kids.

Their biggest attraction will be the Olympics, I imagine they will be able to get a ton of subscribers if they execute the coverage and access well. Keeping the subscribers will be the difficult part.

The good news seems to be they will offer both a low cost ad supported and no ad option much like Hulu so they could get some traction.

Aside from the Olympics, I don't see enough there to warrant a permanent sub a la Netflix who is likely to lose that status in the future in my household at least.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Meh, it's unique and better than the Go Now or Plus suffixes everyone is adding to their offerings.

Yeah I don't really have a problem with the choice of names (NBC's or the others you mention) but if they expect Peacock to have branding value, I suspect they'll be disappointed. Too bad streaming wasn't around in the 50's and 60's, the name would have probably carried a lot of weight back then.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only reason for us to get it would be for the second Psych movie - Psych 2: Lassie Come Home. Just announced that it will be on Peacock instead of USA.

I'll probably just catch it some other way or on DVD.

Already own all of the seasons on DVD so I have no need for a streaming service just to watch reruns.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im pretty much done with hulu anymore, only have it because it is free with sprint. Amazon prime I have regardless of the video offerings and I rarely use their video service. netflix only is fine with me but i watch less tv than most people :shrug:

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

NBCUniversal names former Hulu exec Kelly Campbell to lead Peacock​

Comcast Corp-owned NBCUniversal on Wednesday named former Hulu executive Kelly Campbell as president of its streaming service Peacock.

Campbell's arrival comes at a time when NBCUniversal is looking to build a streaming giant in Peacock with an array of offerings from World Wrestling Entertainment Inc's wrestling shows to Super Bowls.

She will start in November and report to Matt Strauss, chairman of direct-to-consumer and international division, NBCUniversal said.

Comcast in July had said Peacock had 54 million sign-ups, including over 20 million active monthly accounts.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA