Patrick Peterson. What is the future?

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I thought Pat P had a poor game today. I know others might disagree, but it did make me start to think about what the future is going to look like for him.

I feel like we are in a tough spot, because even though he is IMO on the decline, we are not going to be a better team without him this year...and it is shaping up to be a possible playoff season

The tough part is, I don't think he is worth elite CB money anymore, and we might lose him for nothing. Do we franchise him? Do we trade him this year while he still has value around the league?

As tough as I have been on him, I feel like we are off to a good start and don't get better by moving him. I would let him play out the year and get a comp pick for him in the off-season. I don't franchise him, and I don't overpay to keep him.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I wouldn’t sign him long term unless he puts a string of 6-7 games together where he shows he’s still elite. You can always franchise him for 1 year.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
He isn't getting paid as an elite 1 again. Sad to see players decline when they played at such a high level but it's life.

ReasonableMan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Petersens value for now is mentor ship, kinda like Fitz. Someone for this young team to learn from and to be held accountable by. I think you tag him, but more than 3 years from now he’ll be done

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Petersens value for now is mentor ship, kinda like Fitz. Someone for this young team to learn from and to be held accountable by. I think you tag him, but more than 3 years from now he’ll be done

You want to use the guy that was caught using PEDS and masking it too as well as regularly bad mouthing the organization as a mentor? Hmmm

ReasonableMan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You want to use the guy that was caught using PEDS and masking it too as well as regularly bad mouthing the organization as a mentor? Hmmm
I want to use one of the best CBs in the game as a mentor. Talk about pessimism

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
Is he still? Since he’s been caught with PEDS pretty average

We'll find out next week with Marvin Jones and Kenny Golladay and a decent QB throwing to them. Terry made PP his bitch on those slants though.

Rohinaz

All Star
Reaction score
He's given up a whopping 1 catch over 2 complete nfl games. And the safety took a bad angle or was out of position on that 1 catch which would have limited it to a short gain.

We torched Richard sherman last week. Gilmore got tagged for 100 yards and at td today alone. But people are complaining about 1 catch over 2 weeks........

It's confusing. Paterson and Kirkpatrick have both played very well. You can debate how much we should extend, franchise or whatever. But these silly comments like he's liability in coverage is insane. 1 catch over 2 nfl games....

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Tag him.... draft his replacement.... then start transitioning him to FS next year.... following year sign him as a free safety

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Do you think he's a solid enough tackler to move to FS? Cause I sure don't.
His tackling ain’t good but I think it’s more about want to than ability
Worst case he can hang on to a guy until help comes. but he has experience... instincts.... ball skills... and the desire to be a hall of famer
He has a limited future in the NFL as a corner but can pad his legacy for several more years as a safety.... that may motivate him to take tackling seriously

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He got beat a lot in routes yesterday to my surprise. Not a lot of catches for guys WR but the pass rush was solid and Haskins sucks

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
He's definitely lost a step. At this point, I'd probably franchise tag him next off season even if just to trade him for a second round pick. There are still 14 or more games left to determine his future in AZ or elsewhere. Never forget the owner loves him which means if he has a decent season he probably returns.

I'd definitely try to extend DeVondre Campbell though. Guy was a beast yesterday.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's given up a whopping 1 catch over 2 complete nfl games. And the safety took a bad angle or was out of position on that 1 catch which would have limited it to a short gain.

We torched Richard sherman last week. Gilmore got tagged for 100 yards and at td today alone. But people are complaining about 1 catch over 2 weeks........

It's confusing. Paterson and Kirkpatrick have both played very well. You can debate how much we should extend, franchise or whatever. But these silly comments like he's liability in coverage is insane. 1 catch over 2 nfl games....

It’s a lost cause. People have no idea what there watching out there. Here’s a guy who’s given up 1 catch over 2 NFL games and people are saying he’s someone’s “bitch” now.

are you serious?

They bring personal feeling into it. Uuuuuh PED’s. Ok Someone made a mistake, you gonna let that go and move on or you gonna keep bringing it every chance you get. Kinda like a scorned girlfriend, well remember when you did that one thing!!

GET OVER IT.

1 catch 2 Games. That’s how freakishly good he’s been and how spoiled these guys are now that giving up 1 catch means he sucks.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I agree on his physical ability now to an extent but the team, or rather especially the players, value him three times more than this forum does which makes me often wonder how much as fans do we really know or understand to form an opinion. Again, I agree with some of the sentiments here but his fellow players obviously do not

Rohinaz

All Star
Reaction score
It’s a lost cause. People have no idea what there watching out there. Here’s a guy who’s given up 1 catch over 2 NFL games and people are saying he’s someone’s “bitch” now.

are you serious?

They bring personal feeling into it. Uuuuuh PED’s. Ok Someone made a mistake, you gonna let that go and move on or you gonna keep bringing it every chance you get. Kinda like a scorned girlfriend, well remember when you did that one thing!!

GET OVER IT.

1 catch 2 Games. That’s how freakishly good he’s been and how spoiled these guys are now that giving up 1 catch means he sucks.
Exactly, I see folks crediting the d line for putting pressure on qbs which is true, but very often the top read was already covered by peterson which is why the line has more time.

This defensive group is working. The off season aditions addressed glaring holes. Enjoy it folks!

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

are you serious?

GET OVER IT.

Factually inaccurate. Just because somebody wrote it on a message board doesn't make it true.

He gave up 4 completions on 6 targets for 66 yards and 1TD yesterday alone.

He was our lowest graded defender at 36.7.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Factually inaccurate. Just because somebody wrote it on a message board doesn't make it true.

He gave up 4 completions on 6 targets for 66 yards and 1TD yesterday alone.

He was our lowest graded defender at 36.7.

I love how people keep saying he only gave up 1 completion... as if there isn't video proof to dispute that.

facts don't matter on the internet anymore.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I just don't see what the alternative plan is. Giving up another draft pick and a big contract to someone else? Because the answer is certainly not in free agency where we stand today.

We at least have to tag him.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I love how people keep saying he only gave up 1 completion... as if there isn't video proof to dispute that.

facts don't matter on the internet anymore.

oh damn 4 completions wow what a bum. Well that changed everything then huh.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
PP21 lost a step and didn't account for it yet, after two games he gots burned on fast WR and we will know what PP21 is, after week 7, but now it is really to early in the season, he had a rough start but isn't totally bad yet, for now we don't have a better #1 CB.