Patrick Peterson: I’ll show I’m the best in the NFL against Megatron

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Surprising how one sided the talent is on the Cardinals.

Three ready for prime time young players in PP21, Campbell, and Washington. Two older former pro bowl players in Dockett and Wilson. And some solid second tier players like Sam Acho and Kerry Rhodes.

Meanwhile on offense we have Larry Fitzgerald and.....

Only Andre Roberts even gets to the level of Acho and Rhodes.

Early

Registered
Reaction score
he's already the most important player on the defense

I dont think he has a single good game yet as s CB. He has been a bust so far. Calvin won that matchup by a mile. In fact, every number 1 has won it from Hartline, Crabtree to Calvin. Its clear that he is not the shutdown corner he was supposed to be for that pick. He has been just better than mediocore so far. And even that is helped alot by the scheme and Hortons A gap pressures.

He should talk less and play better.

The best defensive players are IMO campbell and washington

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Three ready for prime time young players in PP21, Campbell, and Washington. Two older former pro bowl players in Dockett and Wilson. And some solid second tier players like Sam Acho and Kerry Rhodes.

agreed. Flyd had a good game though. Hopefully it's an indication that he gets the offense and will continue to grow and get better. I would also like to see Acho and Scho become consistent. IMO, Rhodes contributes MUCH more than either of those 2. Toler looks like he's coming around too. Been noticing him more and more
I dont think he has a single good game yet as s CB. He has been a bust so far. Calvin won that matchup by a mile. In fact, every number 1 has won it from Hartline, Crabtree to Calvin. Its clear that he is not the shutdown corner he was supposed to be for that pick. He has been just better than mediocore so far. And even that is helped alot by the scheme and Hortons A gap pressures.

lmao. You're nuts
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/10/25/snapshot-nfl-passer-rating-allowed-cornerbacks/
comparing individual stats between those top 4 (Webb only played 6 games) he is #1 in INTs (#2 in the entire NFL), #3 in tackles (#1 in solo tackles), he was bottom of the list for PDs though (#12 in the entire NFL). All in all though, I'd say I'm far from unimpressed considering he's only in his second year

and the best indication that he IS as good as they say, not a single WR, not a single opposing coach, had anything bad to say about him

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score

Good observation! A lot of the 'talent' on offense couldn't stay healthy this year: see Kevin Kolb, Lyle Sendlein, Levi Brown, Beanie Wells and Ryan Williams. That said, none of them are anything close to elite talents and the offensive line is one of the worst in the league IMO.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

This is complete madness. What about the Patriots game?

Patrick Peterson is a dynamic stud. We have three elite players on the three levels of our defense.

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So what are the stats for when Peterson was covering Johnson such as completion %?

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
if you judge the matchup on the basis of big plays given up vs big plays taken --

I would give it to PP on points.

CJ had 10-121 -- 12 yards a pop. Well below his average. He had one big play -- a 40 yarder over PP -- where PP had good coverage but Stafford made a really nice throw. No TDS.

PP had an interception that with the return, gave the Cards first and goal at the 4.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
agreed. Floyd had a good game though. Hopefully it's an indication that he gets the offense and will continue to grow and get better. I would also like to see Acho and Scho become consistent. IMO, Rhodes contributes MUCH more than either of those 2. Toler looks like he's coming around too. Been noticing him more and more

There is still hope that Floyd and Massie will show the talent to move up with the defensive players though it is an indication of how bad things have been for our offense when a WR is considered to have had a good game with 3 catches for 37 yards. Hopefully Floyd will make the big positive jump that top WRs make from their 1st year to their 2nd and 3rd years.

I don't agree on Rhodes, just don't think he contributes that much more than Acho and Acho is in his 2nd NFL season while Rhodes has been in the NFL for 8 years.

stewdog1

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
if you judge the matchup on the basis of big plays given up vs big plays taken --

I would give it to PP on points.

CJ had 10-121 -- 12 yards a pop. Well below his average. He had one big play -- a 40 yarder over PP -- where PP had good coverage but Stafford made a really nice throw. No TDS.

PP had an interception that with the return, gave the Cards first and goal at the 4.

That's not a good comparison. Only 5 of those catches were when PP was covering him.

Sent from Tapatalk

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is complete madness. What about the Patriots game?

Patrick Peterson is a dynamic stud. We have three elite players on the three levels of our defense.

It really is weird last year everyone complained he's a punt returner who's struggling at CB. This year he's been very good at CB and struggling as a PR and people are still complaining about his CB play.

Yes he's not Deion Sanders or Revis, but in our scheme with all the blitzes etc there are lots of times where he's on an island and if you miss a tackle or get beat it's going to be a big play. We really mixed that up yesterday so he wasn't covering Johnson 1 on 1 all the time but when he did, he was there, it's just Johnson is that good that he was able to make plays still.

Kid is a stud and will keep getting better.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I dont think he has a single good game yet as s CB. He has been a bust so far.

And yet every single statistical review of PP21 trumps your notion that he's a "bust."

If he's not the best corner in the league, he's very close to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So what are the stats for when Peterson was covering Johnson such as completion %?

The last time they showed the stat Johnson was like 50% on targets to catches, but that wasn't all against PP so no idea what PP's percentage was.

Based on pace they probably had 20 targets on Johnson, no QB in history would have locked him down with 20 targets.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Tim Ryan, who apparently talks a lot with league defensive coordinators, said PP21 struggled early in the season, but has come on like gangbusters in the second half of the season. In other words, he is NOW one of the top cornerbacks in the league. That corresponds to what Ray Horton has said. Don't let his special teams muffs at Seattle obscure his dramatic improvement at cornerback.

I wanted the Cardinals to draft him and I have no regrets. He has the potential to be all that Aeneas Williams was - but with better pieces around him IMO.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The last time they showed the stat Johnson was like 50% on targets to catches, but that wasn't all against PP so no idea what PP's percentage was.

Based on pace they probably had 20 targets on Johnson, no QB in history would have locked him down with 20 targets.

Oh, there is no doubt in my mind that Ryan Lindley or Skelton can shut him down. After all, they've shut down Fitz.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, there is no doubt in my mind that Ryan Lindley or Skelton can shut him down. After all, they've shut down Fitz.

whoops, Freudian slip. no CB in history.

But yes I think Skelton and Lindley could have done it too.

:D

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It really is weird last year everyone complained he's a punt returner who's struggling at CB. This year he's been very good at CB and struggling as a PR and people are still complaining about his CB play.

Yes he's not Deion Sanders or Revis, but in our scheme with all the blitzes etc there are lots of times where he's on an island and if you miss a tackle or get beat it's going to be a big play. We really mixed that up yesterday so he wasn't covering Johnson 1 on 1 all the time but when he did, he was there, it's just Johnson is that good that he was able to make plays still.

Kid is a stud and will keep getting better.

I actually think that Peterson is in the conversation with Revis right now. I don't know if we'll ever see Deion again, in part due to rules changes.

Peterson is as dynamic and lock-down a cornerback as you're going to see in the NFL right now. I admittedly haven't seen much of Joe Haden (who has a reputation as the other best corner playing in the NFL right now), but Peterson was repeatedly left all alone with the best (to Peterson, second best) wide receiver in the game, and never once looked overmatched.

Time to get him off punt returns to protect his body and because teams are no longer afraid of him, and because he can't really do it. I'd rather have him focus on watching defensive film, anyway.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually think that Peterson is in the conversation with Revis right now. I don't know if we'll ever see Deion again, in part due to rules changes.

Peterson is as dynamic and lock-down a cornerback as you're going to see in the NFL right now. I admittedly haven't seen much of Joe Haden (who has a reputation as the other best corner playing in the NFL right now), but Peterson was repeatedly left all alone with the best (to Peterson, second best) wide receiver in the game, and never once looked overmatched.

Time to get him off punt returns to protect his body and because teams are no longer afraid of him, and because he can't really do it. I'd rather have him focus on watching defensive film, anyway.

yep I was going to start a thread on that after the season that PP shouldn't return punts next season. i hinted at that in preseason this year that I suspected teams would kick away from him and as a result it might wind up we're tempted to pull him off returns. at the time I was in favor of him still returning, next year I'm not.

He's actually had more returns this year than last, and last year he had 22 FC this year only 10. It doesn't show in the stats that teams are kicking away from him but I do get the impression we're seeing more angled kicks or high and short kicks. Can't prove it but that's my sense.

In hindsight it really is a shame that Horton didn't want to play with DRC there too. Kolb hasn't panned out and if we had just kept DRC, who's playing quite well in Philly from what I read, we'd have 2 pretty dynamic CB's right now. But clearly DRC just wasn't the kind of CB Horton wanted.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
yep I was going to start a thread on that after the season that PP shouldn't return punts next season. i hinted at that in preseason this year that I suspected teams would kick away from him and as a result it might wind up we're tempted to pull him off returns. at the time I was in favor of him still returning, next year I'm not.

He's actually had more returns this year than last, and last year he had 22 FC this year only 10. It doesn't show in the stats that teams are kicking away from him but I do get the impression we're seeing more angled kicks or high and short kicks. Can't prove it but that's my sense.

In hindsight it really is a shame that Horton didn't want to play with DRC there too. Kolb hasn't panned out and if we had just kept DRC, who's playing quite well in Philly from what I read, we'd have 2 pretty dynamic CB's right now. But clearly DRC just wasn't the kind of CB Horton wanted.

I e-mailed Football Outsiders' Aaron Schatz about this and posted his response on the "Patrick Peterson Punted" thread. Teams were kicking away from Peterson at the beginning of the year, but haven't been since Week 8, when it became pretty clear that he wasn't going to be doing anything.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I e-mailed Football Outsiders' Aaron Schatz about this and posted his response on the "Patrick Peterson Punted" thread. Teams were kicking away from Peterson at the beginning of the year, but haven't been since Week 8, when it became pretty clear that he wasn't going to be doing anything.

Makes sense. He was close a couple of times yesterday but it just seems like this year we never get that one block he needs to break one. Long for the year is 26 yards according to ESPN.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Makes sense. He was close a couple of times yesterday but it just seems like this year we never get that one block he needs to break one. Long for the year is 26 yards according to ESPN.

I watch a lot of philly games because of my buddy. If DRC is elite I got land to sell you Russ. The guy picked of rookie Weeden 2 times in the first game of the year. I said at the time he will get one more all year if he's lucky. So far I'm spot on. He gets thrown on pretty often IMO. Too often. He is not a shutdown corner in any sense of the word even by today's standards.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I watch a lot of philly games because of my buddy. If DRC is elite I got land to sell you Russ. The guy picked of rookie Weeden 2 times in the first game of the year. I said at the time he will get one more all year if he's lucky. So far I'm spot on. He gets thrown on pretty often IMO. Too often. He is not a shutdown corner in any sense of the word even by today's standards.

I said dynamic not elite. But Horton is the brains of our defense so I will take his word for it that DRC wasn't a good fit for him.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score

DRC is an up-and-down cornerback. He is a lousy tackler, but then so is William Gay IMO. If DRC had PP21's dedication and competitive desire, his upside would be outstanding. He flashes greatness, but just doesn't do it consistently. And he is a serious liability in run defense.

In the Cardinals scheme, he would be a 3rd or 4th cornerback who comes in on nickle or dime packages. He'll always have an NFL job, but sadly, he doesn't seem to have the desire or work ethic to be an elite NFL CB IMO.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson