Pass Protection

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
The O-line has taken quite a bit of flack for generalized failure. I’m going to be watching how things change when Murray eventually plays and starts taking snaps under center. For one thing the effectiveness of play action should improve significantly. A real run/pass option should slow rushers. The other major change would relate to creating a pocket. When your QB starts out 7 yards deep, O-linemen having to backpedal to create a pocket is too much to ask. Then add in a QB who prefers to dip then hook back and run to the side makes it almost impossible for linemen to know which way to redirect rushers. Even when a pocket was created Murray rarely moved forward to take advantage of it. Many said that was a height issue but Wilson & Brees learned to shift in the pocket to open throwing lanes; a art Murray never mastered. I’m hopeful with better QB coaching and cooperation plus a better offensive system, that significant line blocking improvement will result.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The O-line has taken quite a bit of flack for generalized failure. I’m going to be watching how things change when Murray eventually plays and starts taking snaps under center. For one thing the effectiveness of play action should improve significantly. A real run/pass option should slow rushers. The other major change would relate to creating a pocket. When your QB starts out 7 yards deep, O-linemen having to backpedal to create a pocket is too much to ask. Then add in a QB who prefers to dip then hook back and run to the side makes it almost impossible for linemen to know which way to redirect rushers. Even when a pocket was created Murray rarely moved forward to take advantage of it. Many said that was a height issue but Wilson & Brees learned to shift in the pocket to open throwing lanes; a art Murray never mastered. I’m hopeful with better QB coaching and cooperation plus a better offensive system, that significant line blocking improvement will result.
It will be interesting to see what kind of coaching he gets because no one on the staff has much experience in coaching QBs.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
If we can get a good LG the line would be decent. We have 3 good tackles and Will Hernandez is fine at RG. If our center could cut down on mistakes he is decent blocking. Only real weakness is LG and Murray not knowing how to work the pocket.

Reaction score
If we can get a good LG the line would be decent. We have 3 good tackles and Will Hernandez is fine at RG. If our center could cut down on mistakes he is decent blocking. Only real weakness is LG and Murray not knowing how to work the pocket.
We don't have a center on our roster currently. Only 2nd year L.Smith has played some there I believe. I don't think Price is still on the team.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
We don't have a center on our roster currently. Only 2nd year L.Smith has played some there I believe. I don't think Price is still on the team.
Your right. Price is still a free agent. I’m hoping that we sign him on a cheap deal since nobody else has. His blocking was good and he’s the strongest center I’ve seen us have in a long time. Even if we get another center to start I would want him back. He stayed healthy all year.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your right. Price is still a free agent. I’m hoping that we sign him on a cheap deal since nobody else has. His blocking was good and he’s the strongest center I’ve seen us have in a long time. Even if we get another center to start I would want him back. He stayed healthy all year.
Dude! He can’t snap a ball to save his life. He was actually worse than Hudson and that’s saying something because he was atrocious too.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
:shock: Um, disagree. Vehemently. Gave out sacks like they were candy, airmailed the ball on the regular, and he does not need to come back.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Dude! He can’t snap a ball to save his life. He was actually worse than Hudson and that’s saying something because he was atrocious too.
Since week eight, Billy Price has a 72.5 overall grade.
That's good for the 12th best center in the NFL.
He's been charged with 9 pressures, 0 sacks and just 1 penalty in that span.
98.5% pass block efficiency.

I saw him get much better the second half of the season and he’s the only center that I have seen in a long time have the strength to hold up at the point of attack.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

I saw him get much better the second half of the season and he’s the only center that I have seen in a long time have the strength to hold up at the point of attack.
That was taken from a post from 2021 when he was on the Giants. He was much worse last year for us.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
That was taken from a post from 2021 when he was on the Giants. He was much worse last year for us.

Yep that’s the one. I saw him continue to improve. His penalties and the few screwups hiking the ball turned everyone against him. Yes he had some screwups but if he doesn’t have those this year he would be a good center. I haven’t seen his ability at center blocking in 20 years for the Cards. He was a first round pick for a reason.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to Kyler taking snaps under Center... And how utilizing play action correctly will actually increase running lanes for him between the tackles, when receivers aren't open or when the lane is so wide open he can scamper for easy first downs.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep that’s the one. I saw him continue to improve. His penalties and the few screwups hiking the ball turned everyone against him. Yes he had some screwups but if he doesn’t have those this year he would be a good center. I haven’t seen his ability at center blocking in 20 years for the Cards. He was a first round pick for a reason.
Yeah… your stats were from TWO seasons ago. When he had to “save his career”. He was then atrocious with us last season.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
When you look at a center you look at the individual stats sure but you also want to look at the O-line as a whole and how they perform because a good center can prevent a lot of bad things from happening. A great center knows the offense better than anyone and can kick everyone's ass on the offense. That's why I'd pass on Price. That's why I wish Hudson was 10 years younger. Dude would point out what Kyler would be missing - during the snap count - yelling at his teammates with updated blocking assignments - I think Hudson may have called more audibles than Murray did. I joke and I kid but when Hudson actually cared and was physically able homie was worth every penny. I think the center position is as important as LT - and on that I aint kidding

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We're going to get McCoy killed.

I think next year is likely one where we have 4 different QBs start for us.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
The O-line has taken quite a bit of flack for generalized failure. I’m going to be watching how things change when Murray eventually plays and starts taking snaps under center. For one thing the effectiveness of play action should improve significantly. A real run/pass option should slow rushers. The other major change would relate to creating a pocket. When your QB starts out 7 yards deep, O-linemen having to backpedal to create a pocket is too much to ask. Then add in a QB who prefers to dip then hook back and run to the side makes it almost impossible for linemen to know which way to redirect rushers. Even when a pocket was created Murray rarely moved forward to take advantage of it. Many said that was a height issue but Wilson & Brees learned to shift in the pocket to open throwing lanes; an art Murray never mastered. I’m hopeful with better QB coaching and cooperation plus a better offensive system, that significant line blocking improvement will result.
Interesting take! Hmmm.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score

I don’t give a damn what some of those bogus grades say he sucked! When watching games, you could almost once a series say “yep that was Price again with another mistake”. The eyes don’t lie! He’s a poor player

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol I’m pretty sure Snakester is trolling us.
I actually hundred percent agree with this… There’s no way you can watch him last year and think what he’s thinking… he was a literal disaster… smh

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

You are 100 percent incorrect. Those stats are wrong.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

lol. One of the best owns I’ve ever seen on ASFN.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
lol I’m pretty sure Snakester is trolling us.
I don’t think so. I think he found a dated tweet, mistook it for last season, plagiarized it, then doubled down by making statements to support the plagiarized tweet whilst still not realizing it was about a different time period.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Golfermcr