Pargo to Russia

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score
I am surprised he is leaving. Wow, I guess playing out of the US is now becoming the new trend.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
why not - he's not exactly a highly sought player who will get a lot of minutes or money domestically

NO opted out of a deal that would of payed him about $1M this next year - rumours had the best offers he was looking at here to be around $2M per

$4M is a nice hit for him and gives him a chance to go over there, start and try to show NBA teams his game - if he shoots a good percentage and puts up some more assists then he can come back and secure a nice long term deal

nowagimp

Reaction score
why not - he's not exactly a highly sought player who will get a lot of minutes or money domestically

NO opted out of a deal that would of payed him about $1M this next year - rumours had the best offers he was looking at here to be around $2M per

$4M is a nice hit for him and gives him a chance to go over there, start and try to show NBA teams his game - if he shoots a good percentage and puts up some more assists then he can come back and secure a nice long term deal

Better he goes to russia than to the spurs, the suns couldnt defend pargo at all. I had a feeling that the spurs would sign him anyway, at least his leaving prevented that.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
I hope the NBA decides to offer more incentive for their players to stay, because this trend isn't going away any time soon. Hell, we could see Kobe opt out and head to Italy next year.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
With the collapse of the US dollar, this will happen more, not too long ago, 2 Euros equaled a Dollar, Now 2 dollars equal a Euro

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
He had a great first round a dismal second round:

1st 14.6 ppg 50.9% and 45% for three
2nd 7.0 ppg 27.9% and 26.1% for three (against the Spurs)

His season numbers of 8.1 ppg, 39.0% and 34.9% plus 2.4 assists in 18.7 minutes are just not that impressive. He just killed the Suns shooting 25 of 43, but was not that great against a number of other teams

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/jannero_pargo/season_splits.html

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, the money overseas players make is not taxable income. I could be wrong - any accountants here? Therefore, if true, that $4m he earns is really $4m in the bank. Seems like a no brainer in my book.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, the money overseas players make is not taxable income. I could be wrong - any accountants here? Therefore, if true, that $4m he earns is really $4m in the bank. Seems like a no brainer in my book.

I understand the money paid is tax free as well. However, I'm not certain if the U.S. can get theirs hands on it. Plus I understand European teams throw in stuff like housing and cars. Pargo getting paid 4 million for only one season is definitely not dumb if other NBA teams are only paying the minimum. He would have really looked good in a Suns uniform. Now if the Suns don't get Dragic, it will be sad for Suns fans.

scXfreakX

Huh?
Reaction score
Very nice for Pargo. Man, this is like the new cool thing to do. Leave the NBA and go play in Europe. But how can you blame the guy? Anyone is going to try and get as much money as possible. Go where the green is.

sunsfn

Reaction score

As I understand it, it is taxable, but is paid by the team not the player, so as far as the player is concerned it is tax free to him. $4m is $4m in the bank.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
As far as I can tell, listing salaries on an after tax basis tt's European wide. It makes sense in that every country has differeent tax rates and so it is easier to compare and long term contracts are not effected by changes in goverment.

AceP

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe u guys need some explaination about this new European problem. It is not those teams r actually richer than NBA teams, nor Euro sky high (1Eur == a little less than 1.5USD). They r hitting the "weak spot" of NBA labor & salary system.

The money Childress received is higher than what he makes here, but only with a reasonable margin, not times more. After all the extra benefit such as tax rate or free house, it should still not exceed 2 times than what he was asking the Hawks for. And, that money made him one of the highest paid basketball player in Europe, which is actually still in "Middle Level" range in NBA.

NBA labor system is always freaky. The salary difference between super stars and role players is too huge. I bet u remember Pippen made just 1/5 of Jordan's salary. KG makes 20M every year, James Posey got 3M for what he did for Boston.

So, here is the weak spot. There r a lot of high class role players who can never make it to star level. They definitely feel the salary they r making in NBA is not fair. But NBA teams r tied with the huge and long contract they signed to their superstar, they tend to pay role players as little as possible.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
maybe Pargo wants to be 'the man' on a team?

I just think Pargo is a good backup PG who deserved a salary more than the veteran minimum. I think he was one of the better FA PGs floating out there and he wanted an NBA salary near his worth. IMO he could have really helped the Suns. I hope the Suns can sign Dragic or things will start looking bleak. Nash can no longer carry the load by himself anymore and DJ, Barbosa and Hill are not PGs.

cly2tw

Reaction score
If taxfree, 4mil in Europe is close to 8mil in US, or 4 years of potentially frustrating laboring on the bench in the NBA for Pargo. It's only logical that he takes the money and run!

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
Maybe u guys need some explaination about this new European problem. It is not those teams r actually richer than NBA teams, nor Euro sky high (1Eur == a little less than 1.5USD). They r hitting the "weak spot" of NBA labor & salary system.

The money Childress received is higher than what he makes here, but only with a reasonable margin, not times more. After all the extra benefit such as tax rate or free house, it should still not exceed 2 times than what he was asking the Hawks for. And, that money made him one of the highest paid basketball player in Europe, which is actually still in "Middle Level" range in NBA.

NBA labor system is always freaky. The salary difference between super stars and role players is too huge. I bet u remember Pippen made just 1/5 of Jordan's salary. KG makes 20M every year, James Posey got 3M for what he did for Boston.

So, here is the weak spot. There r a lot of high class role players who can never make it to star level. They definitely feel the salary they r making in NBA is not fair. But NBA teams r tied with the huge and long contract they signed to their superstar, they tend to pay role players as little as possible.

the last thing anyone here needs is explanation from you of all people. childress got about 7 million a year in greece. he probably could have gotten that much here, he just couldn't convince the hawks to trade him. pippen made much less than MJ because MJ is by far the greatest player of all time. by far. pippen? not so much. kg made 20 million because he is one of the best players in the game today and one of the best power forwards of all time. posey is a bench player. there is a reason kg made much more. posey helped boston reach the title, but kg is really what made them a threat at all. Pippen helped jordan win, but jordan is the only reason people in chicago ever gave a damn about basketball. he saved the nba during the 80's-90's. he deserved every penny of his money, as does KG.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is he dumb?

No taxes there, I believe. He pockets all those millions. I'd say he is not dumb. He's Jannero freaking Pargo, for god's sake...who else is going to throw those millions tax free at a dude like that? Oh, and at the Euro rate which is more like 8 mil.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
There is no way to calculate it that the money that DOESN'T look better for him going to Russia.

You might wonder why Dragic would come to the Suns if there is such big money in Europe. I think there is still some allure of being a significant NBA player that adds to the guy's value to European teams. However, if the guy doesn't get enough playing time like Navarro, there is no point in staying.

The latest set of rumors of guys like LeBron or Kobe going for $50 million still defies the economics of Euroleague teams. Other than ego pride, there is not money in a world of small arenas and no major TV contracts. However, if some of these elite guys do go over, perhaps there will be interest by TV networks in Euroleague games.

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
No taxes there, I believe. He pockets all those millions. I'd say he is not dumb. He's Jannero freaking Pargo, for god's sake...who else is going to throw those millions tax free at a dude like that? Oh, and at the Euro rate which is more like 8 mil.

he's playing in russia. russia uses the ruble, not the euro. 1 ruble is worth 4 cents american. i'm pretty sure when they reported he was making $4 millon, they meant $4 million USD. Even if he was getting paid in euros, it'd be more like 6 million and not 8 million.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson